Interesting developments at Palm Beach Dyno

Zemedici

Established Member
And yes you can patent a tune, essentially through a carb exempt number you get through EPA, but 1) VERY expensive 2) puts you in EPAs map, which you kinda DONT want to be on as a tuner lolol

As ‘tuning’ by definition is ‘defeating emissions control devices’ since the OEM tune is considered an emissions control device

Zemedici

Established Member
99.9% of these shops are struggling to keep the lights on which is why they **** each other over left and right. All the shop cars, toter homes, what have you…. all on notes that they struggle to make monthly so they can flash it all on social media to keep the cycle going. The whole thing is a sham

****ing.

Preach.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
99.9% of these shops are struggling to keep the lights on which is why they **** each other over left and right. All the shop cars, toter homes, what have you…. all on notes that they struggle to make monthly so they can flash it all on social media to keep the cycle going. The whole thing is a sham

Sounds about right imo.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Performance industry is beyond cutthroat. I’ve watched guys shake my ex bosses hand and look him in the eye, while they’re ****ing him over.

You’d think ‘fun industry means fun people’

Nope, all snakes. Glad i got out of it. Now i just watch from the sidelines like a normal person.

But yes, they all do it to each other. They’ll **** someone over in a heartbeat to make a quick buck.

I was in that sphere for a little while and was friends with all of the guys at the performance shop we worked with regularly. It was constantly people screwing you over and turning on your when you think they are loyal friends. Shit, I watched them do it to each other within their own shop. I was glad I never got screwed over but was surprised to hear what some people were saying behind my back. Couldn't have been happier once that drama all went away.

Zemedici

Established Member
I was in that sphere for a little while and was friends with all of the guys at the performance shop we worked with regularly. It was constantly people screwing you over and turning on your when you think they are loyal friends. Shit, I watched them do it to each other within their own shop. I was glad I never got screwed over but was surprised to hear what some people were saying behind my back. Couldn't have been happier once that drama all went away.

Yeah man it wasn’t fun at all tbh lolol

Grown ass men that thrive off of drama like it’s high school. Shits out of control. I try to stay away from drama, and it seems in that industry it’s impossible. Like you said, ‘friends’ ****ing over ‘friends’. And the politics are INSANE. How vendors will flat out refuse business, because their main accounts say ‘don’t sell to them’ lol shits wild

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Yeah man it wasn’t fun at all tbh lolol

Grown ass men that thrive off of drama like it’s high school. Shits out of control. I try to stay away from drama, and it seems in that industry it’s impossible. Like you said, ‘friends’ ****ing over ‘friends’. And the politics are INSANE. How vendors will flat out refuse business, because their main accounts say ‘don’t sell to them’ lol shits wild
Is the extra “ol” to emphasize out loud? Or is it a stutter laugh? Either way it reads like you are half ‘tarded.

You guys act like this industry is any different than any other industry- sounds the same as every company I’ve ever worked for. Politics are insane in every corporation.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Is the extra “ol” to emphasize out loud? Or is it a stutter laugh? Either way it reads like you are half ‘tarded.

You guys act like this industry is any different than any other industry- sounds the same as every company I’ve ever worked for. Politics are insane in every corporation.

Sure, there are probably plenty of other industries like that. I still work in the automotive industry at a private mechanic shop and I have worked at 4 different shops in body repair and mechanical and to date none of them have had the drama that the performance side has. It's a completely different atmosphere and model they work off of. I'd say it likely has to do with the lack of industry support on the administrative side that regular shops have that produces standards that mechanic and body shops work off of. Every performance shop is different and they all have their own standards it seems.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sure, there are probably plenty of other industries like that. I still work in the automotive industry at a private mechanic shop and I have worked at 4 different shops in body repair and mechanical and to date none of them have had the drama that the performance side has. It's a completely different atmosphere and model they work off of. I'd say it likely has to do with the lack of industry support on the administrative side that regular shops have that produces standards that mechanic and body shops work off of. Every performance shop is different and they all have their own standards it seems.
Agreed especially on the last point.
I spend my money with people I know to have the same success I’m looking for on the same platform. Thankfully I consider my tuner a friend.
-J

Zemedici

Established Member

It’s a saying, bruv. Relax, dont take life so hard. Btw what are those 54 S’s at the front of your name? It reads like you are half retarded ;)

And I’m in a collision repair shop now, zero politics / any of that bullshit. Weird. Hell there wasn’t even politics at the 2 dealerships i worked at. 1 Small town dealer, and 1 corporate store.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
They don't own their changes to the files?

So if you spent a month figuring out how to add snap crackle tune to your car, and started selling it to kids for $500 each, and one of them pulled the tune and started selling your tune to people for $100, you wouldn't be upset?

As Mr Wonderful would say, you have nothing.

Doesn’t matter if you’re upset or not, it’s business. And no, nobody owns “I added 1 degree of timing”.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Different industry, but same concern with protecting digital/software rights. We write a lot of original code for machine control. Similar to what Ford would write within the ECU for control (PIDs, PWM for injector control, etc.). This nitty gritty of how a machine operates.

So you can imagine when we write code for a large application or create some code that manages motor protection, etc. we want to protect the IP that goes into that code.

Our legal department advised us that Patenting code is costly, time consuming, and only creates future concerns by having to defend and enforce the Patent. So what we do is lock the code and add comments within the code stating that this is our IP and is protected. In the courts eyes this demonstrates a reasonable attempt to protect our IP and if a competitor copied our IP, it would give us grounds to take legal actions. Have we ever done it? No. As much as people like to think we are inventing time travel, the fact is, if you are worth a shit as a programmer, you can emulate the same functionality 8000 different ways without stealing someone's IP. Not unlike tuning a car where you are only modifying parameters. If you tune for a living, it really shouldn't be that difficult to jump ship and recreate those parameters. After all, its the knowledge of the process that allows a good calibrator to create those parameters. That process knowledge is never lost. Unless they are a grifter. Then they are ****ed. lol.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Different industry, but same concern with protecting digital/software rights. We write a lot of original code for machine control. Similar to what Ford would write within the ECU for control (PIDs, PWM for injector control, etc.). This nitty gritty of how a machine operates.

So you can imagine when we write code for a large application or create some code that manages motor protection, etc. we want to protect the IP that goes into that code.

Our legal department advised us that Patenting code is costly, time consuming, and only creates future concerns by having to defend and enforce the Patent. So what we do is lock the code and add comments within the code stating that this is our IP and is protected. In the courts eyes this demonstrates a reasonable attempt to protect our IP and if a competitor copied our IP, it would give us grounds to take legal actions. Have we ever done it? No. As much as people like to think we are inventing time travel, the fact is, if you are worth a shit as a programmer, you can emulate the same functionality 8000 different ways without stealing someone's IP. Not unlike tuning a car where you are only modifying parameters. If you tune for a living, it really shouldn't be that difficult to jump ship and recreate those parameters. After all, its the knowledge of the process that allows a good calibrator to create those parameters. That process knowledge is never lost. Unless they are a grifter. Then they are ****ed. lol.

NDAs make me laugh too.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
NDAs make me laugh too.

Right. We all have NDAs here. You can basically wipe your ass with them. Sure, you can try to enforce them, but at what cost? We've had engineers bounce to competitors with no repercussions. No one wants to be in court. Except for lawyers... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread