Interesting Dilemma. My roommates LARGE friend vs my couch

loadchris

Established Member
Gonna make this short.

Im a 28yr old male and I have a 33yr old roommate (female). Shes a great girl, pays rent and is very quiet. My problem (if you wanna call it that) is she basically has one good friend that comes over a lot. Her friend is nice and pretty funny (also slob & smokes too), but is rather on the LARGE side. I mean 350+lb side.

This may sound frivolous, but I cant stand when she sits on my brand new, very nice couch. Im almost certain she will eventually ruin my couch cushions, I mean everytime she sits down the couch cushions bow upwards and basically smushes them flat. Is it possible they will be ruined by the end of the year? Is it possible for someone her size and heavier to ruin couches?

I sometimes want to say NO dont sit on my couch! But I dont want to be an asshole about it. Im a pretty mellow guy, but I paid good money for this couch and its my favorite piece of furniture. Should I keep my mouth shut or what? Im stuck! Their doesnt seem to be an easy solution for this.

I encourage some POSITIVE feedback, but I ALSO appreciate a good joke to go along with this thread.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
We had a similar problem but in our case the wooden frame of our new Natuzzi couch was cracked in half.

My wife's aunt is big (375+).
She comes over to our house every year for our annual Xmas party.
Last year she sat on our new Natuzzi couch and the wooden frame literally cracked in two (extremely loud, audible crack).
The cracking of the frame was so loud that everyone in the room stopped and stared.
I was super pissed on the inside but i felt so bad for her, as i could see how embarrassed she was having broken our couch in front of all our guests.
We just smiled and told her that it was ok, and we had the couch repaired.

In our case it was slightly different as it was family.
We can't tell her not to sit on our furniture as she is an invited guest in our home.

She now only sits on a sturdy wooden dining room chair when she comes over. :)

loadchris

Established Member
Zak88lx....You just gave me a great idea, I have room for a decent sized dining room table, maybe I should pick one up. Your right with your story, I feel bad too though, dont know if I have the balls to say anything.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Zak88lx....You just gave me a great idea, I have room for a decent sized dining room table, maybe I should pick one up. Your right with your story, I feel bad too though, dont know if I have the balls to say anything.

Sounds good!
Give her an alternate seating choice that is sturdy and can't be damaged, and she will probably use it.
If she continues to sit on the couch I would just grin and bear it, and hope that the couch doesn't get damaged over time.

Good luck! :beer:

loadchris

Established Member
Sounds good!
Give her an alternate seating choice that is sturdy and can't be damaged, and she will probably use it.
If she continues to sit on the couch I would just grin and bear it, and hope that the couch doesn't get damaged over time.

Good luck! :beer:

I should have her buy the friggin table set! I feel bad, but at the same time I dont, cause shes the one doing it to her body......it just disgusts me.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Honestly I think it would take many months of her repeatedly sitting in the same spot day after day for it to permanently cause the cushions/couch to be deformed.

U.M.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Honestly I think it would take many months of her repeatedly sitting in the same spot day after day for it to permanently cause the cushions/couch to be deformed.

U.M.

This! If she's not sitting for extended periods of time it shouldn't have much effect on the couch.

Invest in an ice cream truck siren to keep her on her toes! ;-)

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Spray Liquid Fence in a circle around the couch. I was having trouble with rabbits eating up my garden plants, stuff works great, should work on pigs too.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Just to let you know, the couch will get ruined rather fast. Hmmmmm what to do..... Idk your pretty boxed in on this one. Take it up the rear, plan on gett in new couch

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Pics of roomate?

Move that couch out of the way and buy a cheap one out of craigslist and put it in the same place

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
^ are you insane, pics?:dw:

:bored:

ask the manufacturer what the weight limit is...:read:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Gonna make this short.

Im a 28yr old male and I have a 33yr old roommate (female). Shes a great girl, pays rent and is very quiet. My problem (if you wanna call it that) is she basically has one good friend that comes over a lot. Her friend is nice and pretty funny (also slob & smokes too), but is rather on the LARGE side. I mean 350+lb side.

This may sound frivolous, but I cant stand when she sits on my brand new, very nice couch. Im almost certain she will eventually ruin my couch cushions, I mean everytime she sits down the couch cushions bow upwards and basically smushes them flat. Is it possible they will be ruined by the end of the year? Is it possible for someone her size and heavier to ruin couches?

I sometimes want to say NO dont sit on my couch! But I dont want to be an asshole about it. Im a pretty mellow guy, but I paid good money for this couch and its my favorite piece of furniture. Should I keep my mouth shut or what? Im stuck! Their doesnt seem to be an easy solution for this.

I encourage some POSITIVE feedback, but I ALSO appreciate a good joke to go along with this thread.

There is about $6 worth of foam in your couch cushion. Even if she were over enough and sat on that cushion enough to ruin it within a year, do you want to create a stink over $6?

nickf2005

Established Member
Make sure you're taking a nap on the couch whenever she visits. If there's no room, she cannot sit there.

Users who are viewing this thread