Iphone screwed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I have hours of lectures recorded and saved on my iphone. I record them every single day. Now my Iphone is locked up and wont come out of it. I took it to the AT&T store. they are useless. They basically told me to call Apple. So I did that and the customer service guy couldnt figure anything out. All he said was that I should have backed up all my information on the computer. I do have alot of it backed up, but not all my voice recordings which are priceless to me. They told me im going to have to drive an hour to the next Apple store and get a new phone. So basically im going to lose all my information. For anyone wanting an Iphone I have this recommendation for you....get a regular phone that works. Iphone is not the end all tool for everyday life

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Try putting the phone in DFU mode and doing a clean restore? As long as you backed up your info on itunes you should be fine.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
what do you mean by "locked up"?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
take notes?
had a girl in class do a similar thing and she got screwed.
she would get to class, go to sleep and just record the lectures....nothing like good old spiraled notebooks and pens!

divided

Established Member
Mine locks up too once in a while.

Usually one of 3 things fixes it:

1. Hold the circle and top button down together for 30 seconds.
2. Plug into a computer and see if Itunes recognizes it, then eject.
3. Takes notes the 'old fashion' way.

GL.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Learn to take notes with a pen and paper, problem solved

AHAHAHAHAHA! you arent in any of my classes. I do take notes like everyone else, and half the class is failing. I am passing the class, but only with huge help from recording the lectures. This iphone has just screwed the crap out of me

50 Proof

Established Member
Jeez people lay off him. You guys seriously mean to tell me that you've never attended a lecture where you walked away not understanding what the professor talked about? Perhaps listening to it again might help out a bit? Taking notes isn't always the same as being able to listen to the lecture again, especially if you read your notes out of context. Recording lectures is an awesome idea, I wish I would have been able to do that when I went to college.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Jeez people lay off him. You guys seriously mean to tell me that you've never attended a lecture where you walked away not understanding what the professor talked about? Perhaps listening to it again might help out a bit? Taking notes isn't always the same as being able to listen to the lecture again, especially if you read your notes out of context. Recording lectures is an awesome idea, I wish I would have been able to do that when I went to college.

yes recording the lectures has helped me a TON. Everyone doesnt retain memory of everything the instructor says. With recording the lectures, I have every word they say to listen to over and over and over. I am studying for my tests while driving down the road. The written notes are just for reference. They dont really help much in the harder classes where its not even about memorization. You cant just memorize this stuff and pass, you have to actually know what you are doing and understand why you are doing it. The stuff on the tests comes right from the stuff covered in lecture. And I have my final exams coming up in two weeks yay for me! It was a GREAT time to lose all my priceless information. Thanks Apple! These guys coming in trying to be funny are just....:rollseyes. I have a few on my ignore list

50 Proof

Established Member
I've never used an iphone before so I'm not sure if this will work or not. Can you try one of these options to access it as an external hard drive?

6 Ways To Use iPhone As An External Hard Drive

iPhoneBrowser is a Windows based file browser for your iPhone. Once you have it installed in your Windows, you can navigate the whole iPhone filesystem and drag and drop files to it. You can also perform backups in case you accidentally delete some important files.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I've never used an iphone before so I'm not sure if this will work or not. Can you try one of these options to access it as an external hard drive?

6 Ways To Use iPhone As An External Hard Drive

yea thats basically the same thing as backing up the information onto itunes. and while i do have my contacts and basic apps saved onto itunes, I dont have my lectures from last week or the week before that. the iphone doesnt have a hard drive where they can extract information. it has a flash memory just like those little flash drives you plug into the side of your computer. so my information is done and gone from what the guy at apple said

DATS TTRAH!

Established Member
WELL, a phone is a phone. EVEN THOUGH i myself have an iphone i dont have my life on that sucker and the same goes for computers, NEVER DEPEND ON AND EXPECT ELECTRONICS TO ALWAYS WORK. i learned that the hard way and thats why i STILL USE THE CARDEX AT MY OFFICE FOR PRICING, LOL! All my customers come to my shop thinking one day i would even have high speed internet and i just got it but now i have to get new computers to make use of the high speed, LMAO! in the meantime just for getting use of the money spent, i bring my laptop from my SHOP strictly to wirelessly stream from computer to computer for printing, ect. i mean at my house i have every entertainment based electronic there is for relaxation purposes but i guess what im trying to say is i dont depend on ANY ELECTRONICS. IF I WAS YOU, i would go purchase a tape type recorder that way if it breaks, or should i say when it breaks, u wont have to worry. just grab the tape and stick it in anything else that works with the tape.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON FIXING THIS SCREW UP

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
yea thats basically the same thing as backing up the information onto itunes. and while i do have my contacts and basic apps saved onto itunes, I dont have my lectures from last week or the week before that. the iphone doesnt have a hard drive where they can extract information. it has a flash memory just like those little flash drives you plug into the side of your computer. so my information is done and gone from what the guy at apple said

Just because you can't access it from the iPhone interface doesn't mean it's gone. I'm sure the data is still there, when the phone locks up it doesn't just wipe all the data for the fun of it. You just need a way to get in and access the data, which it sounds like that tool will do.

It's not the same as iTunes, as iTunes will check for a functioning iPhone before it is able to get into it.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Just because you can't access it from the iPhone interface doesn't mean it's gone. I'm sure the data is still there, when the phone locks up it doesn't just wipe all the data for the fun of it. You just need a way to get in and access the data, which it sounds like that tool will do.

It's not the same as iTunes, as iTunes will check for a functioning iPhone before it is able to get into it.

when i plug the iphone to my computer, it doesnt even recognize it. doesnt even know its plugged in. i am screwed. i am headed to the apple store right now. they should know all the available options, but more than likely will end up in warranty replacement and i lose everything

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
when i plug the iphone to my computer, it doesnt even recognize it. doesnt even know its plugged in. i am screwed. i am headed to the apple store right now. they should know all the available options, but more than likely will end up in warranty replacement and i lose everything

DID you try booting it up in restore mode?

txyaloo

Established Member

Did you try putting it in DFU mode? If it's locked up while turned on, you need to let the battery die. Then you can throw it on a charger and try to get it in DFU mode.

canibus

Established Member
download a program called ifunbox. Follow the instructions online and you should be able to get the stuff on the phone. It's a program that goes into the core of your phone. If it's saved to it, it'll recognize it. It's done wonders for others, just research it alittle online and try it.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
well i just now got back from the apple store. they had to restore the whole phone. which basically means they had to clear all the memory and reload the software. OMG i lost over 3 weeks worth of lectures....this next few weeks is going to be hell

I don't see what the problem is here. Tough shit, learn to take notes.

easier said than done. I have a B in my accounting class right now, but could easily turn into a D with a bad test score. People dont understand here. I have FIVE classes in total. Im taking intermediate 2, business finance, statistics 2 (retaking), cost accounting, and federal income tax. And people are saying I dont know how to take notes?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread