iron block swap 2011 gt500?

roxas4620

Established Member
I just bought a 2011 gt500. I drove it three days and it misfired and the compression in cylinder 8 failed. The performance shop I took it to used that camera thing to look at my pistons and I'm missing a chunk out of cylinder 8. The cost for an aluminum block is crazy so is it possible to swap an iron short block from 07-10 gt500 to my car? I know the stuff I looked up said the water pump is different. Any help is appreciated

nissenc1337

Established Member

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The whole point of the aluminum block was to take weight off the front of the car. That's the whole reason people want 2011+ cars over the 2010. I'd get the aluminum block of you're going through all the work. Did you buy it from a dealer? I feel like that falls under an implied warranty.

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/been-ripped-off-breach-of-warranty-is-a-better-claim-t-1656536314

Only applies if there isn't the "as-is no warranty etc" clause that all dealers use. Talking to the dealer would be my first option though.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Only applies if there isn't the "as-is no warranty etc" clause that all dealers use. Talking to the dealer would be my first option though.

^^^ Since it's a 2011 If it still has some of the powertrain warranty left so that's where I'd start.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

^^^ Since it's a 2011 If it still has some of the powertrain warranty left so that's where I'd start.

Definitely talk to the dealer before shelling out money to cover it out of pocket. I would think there would be at least some limited warranty since it was from a dealership, like a 30 day deal.

nissenc1337

Established Member

If the seller said the "car runs fine" or "has no issues" then it doesn't matter what garbage they tack on. they've issued an express warranty with those terms and could be taken to jury for a decision. Just saying, like everyone else is, if you really did recently purchase it, go back to the seller.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
If the seller said the "car runs fine" or "has no issues" then it doesn't matter what garbage they tack on. they've issued an express warranty with those terms and could be taken to jury for a decision. Just saying, like everyone else is, if you really did recently purchase it, go back to the seller.

First implied warranty, now you're bouncing to express warranty? You obviously are unsure of what either actually are. What you're currently referring to is commonly known as "commercial puffery", and isn't upheld by the law. While it's not required for the seller to "warranty" or "guarantee" what they say, the seller can make an express warranty by affirming by fact or promise which relates to the goods and becomes a part of the basis of the bargain.

I single this out to point out something very specific in the law.. An affirmation merely of the value of the goods or a statement purporting to be merely the sellers opinion or commendation of the goods does not create a warranty.

If it has less than 60,000 miles, then I'd start with the manufacturers warranty. Hopefully the talk about warranties can end at that.

JimIII@jdm

This stinks, I would take it to legal terms with the dealer you bought it from. We are currently installing a 5.4L Iron block into a 2011 GT500 here right now. The customer could not afford an aluminum block. His was cracked right up the middle on both sides. The damage was to great to sleeve it. He was modified with a TVS blower and damaged it at the track while on a mail order tune from someone else, pushing 20 psi, and pump gas. I hate to say it but he had it coming. Your car doesn't sound so extreme this shouldn't have happened unless you got bad fuel or something else such as a parts failure. If you have any questions or need help with parts feel free to call us at 732-780-0770

JimIII

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Any 2011 should still be under power-train warranty (60k\5 years), plus yeah, you like I, have the rare aluminum 100lb lighter block they ONLY made for 11 and '12, which really fixes a lot of the slop the prior GT-500s had with that extra 100lbs in the front + reinforcement via plasma coating.

Looking for a new block with a car that young, and going backwards, is just bad. Sell it or keep that block in there. Aluminum 5.4l's are the reason buyers love the '11 and '12. I had an offer to get an '10 GT-500 Convert loaded out with just 4k, but went with the '12 GT-500 w\ 17k due to the improvements on the engine, and 100lbs less on the front, no 11-12 owner is going to want the old heavy iron block.

Also +1 on why have you not contacted who sold it to you? Three days and all full of issues? Who did you buy this thing from? If it was a dealer, take the thing back, obv you are throwing check engine lights and all sorts of stuff, right? Pretty simple solution.

Last edited:

RSAGT500

Established Member
Any 2011 should still be under power-train warranty (60k\5 years), plus yeah, you like I, have the rare aluminum 100lb lighter block they ONLY made for 11 and '12, which really fixes a lot of the slop the prior GT-500s had with that extra 100lbs in the front + reinforcement via plasma coating.

Looking for a new block with a car that young, and going backwards, is just bad. Sell it or keep that block in there. Aluminum 5.4l's are the reason buyers love the '11 and '12. I had an offer to get an '10 GT-500 Convert loaded out with just 4k, but went with the '12 GT-500 w\ 17k due to the improvements on the engine, and 100lbs less on the front, no 11-12 owner is going to want the old heavy iron block.

Also +1 on why have you not contacted who sold it to you? Three days and all full of issues? Who did you buy this thing from? If it was a dealer, take the thing back, obv you are throwing check engine lights and all sorts of stuff, right? Pretty simple solution.
Dealers do this clever little thing on used cars. It's called As Is, No Warranty. they have the legal grounds to tell him to pound sand once he signs that. I'm betting some idiot at the dealer filled it up with crap gas.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Dealers do this clever little thing on used cars. It's called As Is, No Warranty. they have the legal grounds to tell him to pound sand once he signs that. I'm betting some idiot at the dealer filled it up with crap gas.

Hm. I have a '12 GT-500 but it has the existing warranty + extended (which I am about to cancel, as I don't want any normal ford warranty tech in my GT-500, and tbh extended is just covering electronics anyway, as the power-train is a lot longer on this car than my last car, SRT w\ 36k\3 years power train @ all) and '11 would still, unless that car had badd history and was voided prior, have the normal power-train warranty still in tact (til what, 60k\5 years or 6? I dunno these days for S\C cars it is like 7 years\70k but Ford does not offer that)
2011-12 GT-500~~~

Basic 3 year / 36,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles
Roadside 5 year / 60,000 miles
Rust 5 year / Unlimited miles
~~~~~~
Sooo yeah.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread