iron block vs aluminum block!!!!!!!

88blackhorse

Established Member
i have a 08 gt 500 with kb 2.8lc and all other bolt ons. I had a cylinder go out on it so now time to build it up. looking into which route to take can the aluminum blocks handle over 1000hp, or should I just stay with the iron block. also wondering if I should get custom cams built? I talked to L&M about a short block they gave me a descent price started talking to them about cams and they stopped responding I was let down so ill just build it myself. just looking for more info I hate redoing things I hope this is a one time build

cluscher

Established Member
Talk to Van about getting connected with L&M. Michael's a good dude and does phenominal work.........will be worth it. Van has a ton of knowledge and experience with L&M cam options.

JimIII@jdm

The Aluminum block can absolutely handle 1000+ HP, we have put it through the ringer with our Super Cobra Jet cars. We have several making near 1400 HP through the block and about 1100 at the tires! This is all done via 4.0 Whipple and 26-28 psi!

We have even sleeved the blocks and gone as far as .070" over bore for extra displacement. This is a big power increase. How far are you looking to go? I would also recommend a good set of cams like our Super Stock camshaft package with Springs and retainers.

We have set a standard in NHRA with our Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet 5.4 motors as being the fastest and most reliable. Same applies for our custom engine program for aftermarket customers. If you have any questions about your build or need help/advice feel free to contact me at our office line. 732-780-0770 or email [email protected]

Thanks,

JimIII@JDM

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
it's all about the budget IMO.

If you can go for the extra $2000-2500 for the Alum block I would.

I would def look at getting custom cams - I regret not doing it when L&M did my motor, you can get a great sound and pick up a lot of power.

Also get back with L&M - Mike is swamped and sometimes things fall thru the cracks, I have a good relationship with him and he's always gotten back to me. Sometimes it takes a few days but he comes thru. I'll reach out to him on this as well.

Last edited:

88blackhorse

Established Member
I liked the set up I had but now that this happen I want to improve, the 2.8 on 17psi made 737hp I really want to hit 1000 or plus. I hope the 2.8 with 24psi and maybe some nitrous can get me close

Lemmy

Established Member
i have a 08 gt 500 with kb 2.8lc and all other bolt ons. I had a cylinder go out on it so now time to build it up. looking into which route to take can the aluminum blocks handle over 1000hp, or should I just stay with the iron block. also wondering if I should get custom cams built? I talked to L&M about a short block they gave me a descent price started talking to them about cams and they stopped responding I was let down so ill just build it myself. just looking for more info I hate redoing things I hope this is a one time build

What caused the cylinder to go out? What condition is the block in? It isn't unusual for other hardware (like connecting rods) to blow before the block gives in. I'm sure you could get a very stout aftermarket aluminum block with some other goodies if you have the $ to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread