IRS improvement suggestions

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
Hey All

i've got a ~500rwhp street termi with a stock IRS
no huge plans to significantly increase HP - ported eaton - pulley and tune

ive got a large list of other suspension mods in the works right now
IRS is something i was to address

Question is: the MM IRS rear grip package - the basics. im sure will be a solid mod for my car.
but from a $$ perspective, what would be the nest level down from this mod for rear IRS?

i assume it would just be poly bushing kits?
i was considering just doing the MM Rear IRS urethane differential mount kit
https://lmr.com/item/MM-MMIRSB45/99...rsports-Rear-Irs-Urethane-Differential-Mounts

would this get me a decent improvement over stock?

i honestly don't launch the car a ton - so im OK if its not super beef'd up.
but its a toy car and i'm very "spirited" driver. lol

suggestions/opinion are welcome!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i would recommend full tilt boogie racing.

i have found the fitment and quality of their parts to be superior to mm and others.

best of luck with it

SROLD

Established Member
Full Tilt Boogie is absolute best way to go. Had it on my 03 for over 8 years that i just sold. Very good parts and very good instructions for DIY. Have been to their facility in Wisc and they are a stand up company.

blownfox

Established Member
I did the FT 1350M and FT 5001, FT 1860, and found out my sway end links were bad so I ordered their FT 1900. It was probably over kill for my setup but I only wanted to take out the rear end once. I also upgraded rear sway bar and the car handles awesome.

My previous car was a 93 cobra with full MM suspension (front/rear coil overs, sways bars, lower control arms, ect) and my 03 handles better (stock springs). I'm not knocking MM as their stuff is awesome and will probably order their coil over kit down the road. IMO you can't go wrong with FTBR or MM!

Both companies provide excellent customer service and will not try to sell you something you don't need. I would call them and then make a decision on what you need. Just remember it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I am in the same boat at the moment. I currently have the car torn apart so I could put on a FRPP diff cover. I could not justify spending close to $200 on replacing just 3 bushings for a car that will hardly ever see the track. So I went with the same MM kit you show. Now if LMR does not get them in stock tomorrow like it says they are I will probably get tired of waiting and just spend the extra money to get the FTBR Front and rear differential ones. I figured you can pull the control arms without having to actually remove/drain the differential, so I can tackle those another time.

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
I am in the same boat at the moment. I currently have the car torn apart so I could put on a FRPP diff cover. I could not justify spending close to $200 on replacing just 3 bushings for a car that will hardly ever see the track. So I went with the same MM kit you show. Now if LMR does not get them in stock tomorrow like it says they are I will probably get tired of waiting and just spend the extra money to get the FTBR Front and rear differential ones. I figured you can pull the control arms without having to actually remove/drain the differential, so I can tackle those another time.

you ordered this one?
https://lmr.com/item/MM-MMIRSB45/99...rsports-Rear-Irs-Urethane-Differential-Mounts

it says that if i order today it will ship tomorrow

so maybe yours will ship out then?

jrichber

browser
Established Member

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Hey All

i've got a ~500rwhp street termi with a stock IRS
no huge plans to significantly increase HP - ported eaton - pulley and tune

ive got a large list of other suspension mods in the works right now
IRS is something i was to address

Question is: the MM IRS rear grip package - the basics. im sure will be a solid mod for my car.
but from a $$ perspective, what would be the nest level down from this mod for rear IRS?

i assume it would just be poly bushing kits?
i was considering just doing the MM Rear IRS urethane differential mount kit

would this get me a decent improvement over stock?

i honestly don't launch the car a ton - so im OK if its not super beef'd up.
but its a toy car and i'm very "spirited" driver. lol

suggestions/opinion are welcome!

Here's a ton of info for you:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/suspension.htm

Have had the MM/Prothane bushings in my IRS for years - still good as new. I don't drag race, but drive the heck out of the car (especially with the new engine), and the IRS stays nicely planted.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Just sent off an order for the full FTBR kit. After having poly in the car since 08, it has been dragged, auto crossed and driven for about 25k miles and they are shot.

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
Hey All
so quick update...after i did some other significant suspension upgrades...i found that i dont REALLY need the IRS stuff

mods that affected the rear were...H&R Race Springs - Bilstein Shocks - Eibach Sway bar...way less wheel hop. I was kinda surprised honestly
its still there if i try in 1st gear....but hard 2nd -> 3rd gear pulls feel way more secure

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
I know you don't want to spend the money, but honestly man, if you have to, save for just a little while longer. The FTBR kit is absolutely worth every penny. Go to YouTube and search for Full Tilt boogey's demonstration videos. They completely eliminate every single problem that the factory IRS is plagued with. I'm sure you're like the rest of us and absolutely love your car. Believe me, the girl is worth it. You will be able to drive your car any kind of way you want without the risk of breaking something related to the IRS. That is peace of mind worth the extra coin.

The Abyss

Established Member
Full Tilt Boogie is the way to go! One of the best mods ever. Also if you're pulling the IRS out, it's a good time to do gears, seals, bearings etc!

Dave.O

Established Member
go with solid aluminum diff bushings. no they do not transmit more noise and they will last forever. I have on both my cobras, one with coil overs and it is planted at high speeds

Users who are viewing this thread