irs into my 00 gt

white venom 03

Established Member
my friend who has an 03 cobra vert wants to build a solid axle and wants to put his irs into my gt and my solid into his cobra.. is this a hard swap and should i be safe with the irs with a 3500 stall? i wont have the power like a cobra does, my gt just has 4.10s, programmer, catback, pulleys and cold air and sticky tires. will the irs be safe with those bolt ons and a mild stall?

thanks guys :beer:

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Simple swap, but just keep in mind you will need friends to help you the IRS onto the jack(s) in order to put it in place. I think it is actually easier to bolt the IRS to the frame than the SRA since all the mounts stay in one place. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by safe?

DsilverM

Established Member
By safe I think he means will the IRS not break like they always do in the cobras.

I'm pretty sure you will be fine with the IRS since you have no where near the amount of power a cobra puts out. IRS' are weird though. Sometimes they break on stock cobra power, and sometimes they hold to some ridiculous amounts.

spike_africa

Established Member
Your car is an auto its going to be fine. An auto does not shock the rear end like a manual tranny does. PS your car is going to be heavier. So unless you want that and like to road race,autox then you might want to pass on this. Just a friendly FYI.

white venom 03

Established Member
Your car is an auto its going to be fine. An auto does not shock the rear end like a manual tranny does. PS your car is going to be heavier. So unless you want that and like to road race,autox then you might want to pass on this. Just a friendly FYI.

thats just it, i like to take my car to the track and ect. i just want the "cool irs look" :D but i also plan on putting a 3200-3500 stall (and supporting mods trans brake, shift kit, ect) so would it brake with a stall, gears and full bolt ons? or would i need new half shafts if i dont wanna break shit?

one more question, with a new torque converter, will i see a jump in tq on the dyno?

Users who are viewing this thread