Irs Kit

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
ok guys sorry to post so often but im stuck its either mm grip package the level 5 irs package setup from postban's setup or ac427cobra's kit i dont know which route to go mm's tech told me that the biggest difference i will see is the control arm bushing swap to derlin i believe or is that bologni? he also said i didnt need a diff bracket with their kit? and their kit is the most expensive i dont know which to go with but i hate the wheel hop suspension is bone stock with almost 100k. so any input would be great. maybe some first hand experience thanks.

pdm

Established Member
We all know FTBR is the only way to go for bushings, but IMHO a LPW cover and lube-locker gasket is hands down the best way to top it off. I doubt there's anyone on here that would say they regret going that route. The only downside that I know of is that you cannot run a lowered rear diff mount in order to get a perfect pinion angle.

omj

Established Member
We all know FTBR is the only way to go for bushings, but IMHO a LPW cover and lube-locker gasket is hands down the best way to top it off. I doubt there's anyone on here that would say they regret going that route. The only downside that I know of is that you cannot run a lowered rear diff mount in order to get a perfect pinion angle.

Does the lube locker work well? I have an LPW cover and it leaks slightly--I used sealant in the groove of the cover. I'm going to buy a FTBR kit in the near future.

ninty9cobra

Established Member
I would recommend bruces kit I installed the kit about a yr ago no more wheel hop. I would highly recommend the forward torque brace and bf brace too

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
DEF get Bruce's kit over MM's. I've been talking to Bruce and I'll be ordering my kit pretty soon here, and I've read and watched everything on his website and to say he knows what he's talking about is the understatement of the year. MM makes do with poly bushings and they are NOT as durable as MM makes them out to be, and Bruce makes an excellent point by pointing out (alliteration is fun) that MM gives a little tube of lube and NO zerk fittings. May be the reason they wear out so fast, which you can see on one of the videos where they take a breaker bar and move the suspension around because there is so much play.

Once you get the kit and eliminate, or at the very least, reduce wheel hop to miniscule levels, you will NOT need to upgrade your halfshafts. Only after doing everything to the IRS, and running a sticky tire of stupid high levels or horsepower, IF a halfshaft breaks then you are a candidate of the Level 5's.

BTW, love your wheels Bad99SVT :D

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
DEF get Bruce's kit over MM's. I've been talking to Bruce and I'll be ordering my kit pretty soon here, and I've read and watched everything on his website and to say he knows what he's talking about is the understatement of the year. MM makes do with poly bushings and they are NOT as durable as MM makes them out to be, and Bruce makes an excellent point by pointing out (alliteration is fun) that MM gives a little tube of lube and NO zerk fittings. May be the reason they wear out so fast, which you can see on one of the videos where they take a breaker bar and move the suspension around because there is so much play.

Once you get the kit and eliminate, or at the very least, reduce wheel hop to miniscule levels, you will NOT need to upgrade your halfshafts. Only after doing everything to the IRS, and running a sticky tire of stupid high levels or horsepower, IF a halfshaft breaks then you are a candidate of the Level 5's.

haha...thanks man!:beer:

shurur

Established Member
I agree with Bad99svt..
As I said to you before....If I could do it all over again i would have gone that way for (at the least) the reasons that I told you...I was waiting for the above folks to respond to you..as I have nothing from FTBR...yet..and again I am but a DD.

This is Bruce's (ac427cobra's) site: Full Tilt Boogie Racing
bushing kit, toebars, swaybar links..don't forget swaybar bushings..

IMO it's best to do (weld) IRS suframe brackets now too.
For serious: lower "torque box' seams can be welded as well as shock tower welds...

Also though at some point consider: (1) MM subframe connectors or Global West IMO
and (2) a MM IRS cross member brace..also called forward torque brace.. (as we do not have these in our cars originally..but I belive they are on the termies and (3) diffy cover brace (4) IRS subframe brackets

Also..later as $ permits...consider lowering her with lowering springs....this will help.

Also wider rims/tires..

Also check out the detroit tru-track torque sensing differential for the future..3.55,3.73,4.10

A rear shock tower brace can be added later for "the look"

Time to make yourself an excell spreadsheet...will send you mine to start you going if you like;) Everytime something breaks..it is an opportunity to enhance!!

There is another IRS link I have for you but can't seem to find..I'm working on it.

Have fun!!

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member

MM makes delrin control arm bushings, so that's an equal comparison to the FTB kit. MM uses poly for the IRS subframe while FTB uses UHMV, so perhaps that's what you're talking about?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Also, this is just my opinion, but I don't think it's necessary to go from a completely stock suspension to a fully built IRS. I did that a number of years ago and wouldn't do it like that again. I suppose it all depends on your intended use, though.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
MM makes delrin control arm bushings, so that's an equal comparison to the FTB kit. MM uses poly for the IRS subframe while FTB uses UHMV, so perhaps that's what you're talking about?

Shit thats right, in fact I just was reading my MM catalog and saw that too. However, still stand by Bruce's kit costing less, loaning the tools to make it (somewhat) easier. I def didn't mean to sound like I don't like MM, in fact I use their other stuff for suspension almost exclusively. :rockon:

Also though at some point consider: (1) MM subframe connectors or Global West IMO
and (2) a MM IRS cross member brace..also called forward torque brace.. (as we do not have these in our cars originally..but I belive they are on the termies and (3) diffy cover brace (4) IRS subframe brackets

Also..later as $ permits...consider lowering her with lowering springs....this will help.

Also wider rims/tires..

This is the order I did stuff too, had to when my rear end blew out from wheel hop. Did Billetflow diff brace, 03/04 Cobra IRS X-member brace but you could get the MM one too. I used H&R springs and love them, perfect amount of drop and if you are keeping it a DD, you'll love it too.

Make sure to get MM Full Length SFCs, or even the ones from I think Global West that are called like Matrix SFCs or something like that. They look awesome, right under through the floor full on frame connectors.

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
thanks again for all the input im gonna start with bruces kit first lol then gradually move on. i think im gonna put 03/04 coupe springs in the rear since im a vert.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
After messing with about everyone's IRS kit, I like FTBR's the best.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
why didnt you like going from stock to built?

I think if you track your car regularly, then it's worth it. If not, I think it's overkill for a street car. If you're looking for a better stance and handling, you can make huge strides over stock with the right combination of dampening, spring, and rubber. It all depends on your goals and intended use, IMO.

:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ok guys sorry to post so often but im stuck its either mm grip package the level 5 irs package setup from postban's setup or ac427cobra's kit i dont know which route to go mm's tech told me that the biggest difference i will see is the control arm bushing swap to derlin i believe or is that bologni? he also said i didnt need a diff bracket with their kit? and their kit is the most expensive i dont know which to go with but i hate the wheel hop suspension is bone stock with almost 100k. so any input would be great. maybe some first hand experience thanks.

I see you've received some good advice in this thread! :-D

I would also like to state that you should avoid L-5 halfshafts like the plague! They cause far more problems than what they are supposed to cure! The OEM halfshafts are good to a minimum of 600-650 RWHP once you remove all factory rubber and aftermarket poly in your diff mounts, control arm bushings and subframe bushings.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread