irs leaking dime size puddles

rynocobra

Established Member
Title explains it. Just found out today. I have an irs brace waiting to be put on should I put the brace on and use some sort of sealant or replace the pumpkin gasket because I heard irs' s leak sometimes.

FoMoCo08

LSX Slayer
Established Member

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Make sure you replace the OEM rubber front and rear diff mount bushings with either the FTBR or MM polyurethane pieces. That will help isolate the diff and reduce flex which in turn will reduce leaking. The brace will not make a difference with the leaking, it's intended use is to add cover support. As said previously, look at the FRPP or the LPW covers and for a few dollars more than the brace end the headache.

rynocobra

Established Member
I know where its leaking at because the guy before me sealed it at the bottom of the cover and then one day I looked under and then the sealant had hardened up and fell. Just after that is when it started

TRBO VNM

You get the ford owners manual for mustang and then the SVT supplement in addition to it for some cobra specific info.

Factory uses 75w-140 gear oil and a bottle of friction modifier. I don't recall the volume amount of the modifier. you just get a bottle from ford and use the whole bottle. It is small though. 8oz maybe? You need 2 pints of gear fluid, but it will not take that much. I think the manual calls for 1.3x or something like that.

Do some searching for the leak issues and you will see plenty of info. I would not use the black permatex rtv. I only use the grey stuff from ford or the lube locker gasket. So far not one problem.

Last edited:

rynocobra

Established Member
And im not gonna have to drop the suspension am I? Just jack it up, drain it and replace the cover right?

TRBO VNM

So should I use 75w-140 or 75w-90

You decide...manual says 75w140, other poster says 75/90. I personally go with what the manual says for gear oil and modifier on my cars and customers.

And im not gonna have to drop the suspension am I? Just jack it up, drain it and replace the cover right?

Not as easy as a solid axle. Search, it has been covered. To do it right, IMO, the pumpkin gets removed. That is the only way I will do it. Some people fight with it a little and leave the pumpkin in and shift it forward in order to drop the cover. IMO there is too much up there in the way to work around.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Use 75w140. If you change to the FRPP diff cover use the Lubelocker gasket or grey sealant from Ford. If you use the grey allow it to dry completely (about 24+ hours) before adding gear lube, ~1.9qts. Some gear lube like the RP already has the modifier in it others do not so you will have to add the modifier.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
75w140 is what is recommended in the manual however if you live in a colder climate 75w90 might be a better choice. i noticed you live in illinois so thats why i suggested that weight but either one will work just fine. i have used permatex black plenty of times with zero issues, however, the ford black or grey (which i believe they use on trucks) is as mentioned probably the best option going, that stuff is heavy duty. not sure on the price, it's probably more expensive and you will have to go to the dealership to get it unlike permatex that can be bought just about anywhere for a few dollars. also, royal purple does add friction modifier to their gear lube but i always add about half the bottle of the ford friction modifier as well. this is just my personal experience and preference and has worked well for me.

Last edited:

rynocobra

Established Member
So how long do you think it would take and what's in the way of the cover because I can go to a buddys shop today and use his lift.

Users who are viewing this thread