IRS Rebuild Has Begun - 1st Question

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Thanks guys.

Yes, one heck of an undertaking. Don't know if I would do that again. Pretty big job performing by oneself.

Well, around 50-60 miles so far. That little bit of gear whine hasn't gotten any worse. Still driving like a grandma tho. Don't know when I can start pulling on new gears.

I'm calling it at 100 miles. If axle is still under car and operating normally? Pedal is hitting the mat...lol

Thanks again guys. You all rock...

Jefe

Established Member
Congrats man! Ya Id say after a few short trips to create a wear pattern and proper cool down you should be good to go. There are guys that beat on the car right after the install and there are guys who wait 500 miles. No obviously bad sounds, just drive it!

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Update... Instead of creating a new post, thought I'd give an update here...

Hey guys, how it hanging? Well, many miles later and still the same as the day I finished her up. Still a little bit of a whine. Most noticeable between 35-45mph. Kind of annoying at times.

The tires I have on the car are cheap-o Sumitomo 315's. They didn't hook with the stock SRA with the 3.23 gears. Well, I definitely feel a difference in the "seat of the pants" feel in 3rd/4th gear pulls. 1st is useless with them tires. Like being on ice. 2nd can sometimes grab if the tires are a bit warmed up. Not doing anything in 5th with the Tremec 3650. Probably even with a 1000hp.

And I'm a N/A GT 2V. The Sumitomo tires on a 400+hp car would be absolutely dangerous. They're junk. Unless your looking for a 60k mile tire...

However, wish I would maybe of went 4.10"s and a set of DR's. Could my smile get any bigger?

Anywho, just thought I'd chime in and let everybody know all is well. And don't think you all have met my baby.

Here's my girl. Isn't she purdy?

DSC01833.jpg

This is an older pic. Now sitting just a tad lower in the rear with the IRS. Smoked tail lights, blacked out rear side markers.

And just a quick Thank You once again to all who helped me on this. You know who you are. Couldn't of done it without you guys.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Looks good man.
I have an IRS with 410 gears and all the MM upgrades and am thinking of getting one with 355 gears in it.
I don't like the 410 gears AT ALL

Jefe

Established Member
Looks good! Ya Sumitomo's are notorious for being cheap and ineffective.

I dont know if you saw the check your axle nuts thread but the nuts were discontinued by Ford and replaced with this:

FT%206500A.jpg

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Looks good! Ya Sumitomo's are notorious for being cheap and ineffective.

I dont know if you saw the check your axle nuts thread but the nuts were discontinued by Ford and replaced with this:

Hey Jefe, Thanks.

Didn't see that post. I was so concerned with that coming loose when I finished job, I came up with my own solution.

Remember I bought them cheap-o NAPA universal axle nuts? They were a crimp style nut. Only crimped at the top. When asked if I should use them or the old nuts, everybody seemed to prefer the old. On guy chimed in to say he had a bad experience with the crimp nut tightening so deep on the shaft, it was hard to get off.

Looking at the axle shaft with the old nut on, there is like an inch or more of thread extending past the nut.

Looked over at the MM subframe tool I bought. It needed one end to be a double nut in order to work.

So, I wasn't taking any chances. After torquing the old nut to the (I think) 95 ft/lbs, I used the NAPA nut as a double nut. It tightened so the axle shaft is dead flush with nut. Just as the "crimp" started to really bind on the shaft, it seated against old nut. Like to see that sucker come loose.

I've checked twice now. It's not coming loose. Do I go as far to say I'd put money on it being superior to any factory single nut?

I could be wrong tho. Don't quote me on that...lol It's working good so far. Probably 500-600 miles and still super tight. Couple small burnouts. Multiple hard pulls. Hope it stays that way too...

Anyway, thanks for that info again Jefe. Let me know what you think of my hillbilly double nut technique...lol

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Looks good man.
I have an IRS with 410 gears and all the MM upgrades and am thinking of getting one with 355 gears in it.
I don't like the 410 gears AT ALL

Curious. Do you not like it because it's a 4.10? Or because it's a 4.10 in TOO high of a horsepower car?

I have read where a lot of the Cobra guys don't like the 4.10 because it's too much power for such a short gear. Granted you are speaking of a Cobra.

However, if your 4.10's were in an N/A GT with a third of the power, do you think you would have the same feelings toward them?

Jefe

Established Member
Old nut is only at 95 ft lbs? Needs to be 240 minimum. I do 250 with red loctite. Thats definitely interesting with the double nut haha but I would double check the torque on the old nut. It may not be completely seated

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
And as for them Sumitomos.

They shouldn't even make them tires. And shouldn't even be on my car.

I was just recently laid off. Income dropped dramatically. This was a few years ago. Was driving past a buddy going to pick up my daughter from school. Turned a corner and did a nice rolling burnout to show off. Grabbed second and hammered it. Broke loose and I was instantly sideways. Something I later found out they call, Snap-Oversteer.

Whatever it was, it sent me flying into a 6" curb destroying both passenger tires and wheels. Since I was a broken bum and money wasn't plentiful, I had to go the cheapest route I could. But couldn't see buying an 8" wheel and the price of a decent 315 tire, at the time, wasn't happening. 4 new Sumitomos it was. And two 10.5's.

Now, fast forward a few years, with money, I am torn. I want a nice set of DR's. But, my Sumitomos are every bit at 85-90 percent still.

So I thought, I can smoke them down in a night and need new tires by morning. But, that now raises another issue. My car just turned 80k miles and I'm still on the original factory clutch. Don't know how much life is left in that. And know replacing a clutch isn't cheap.

But a set of 18" black or chrome FR500's with a set of M/T ET Street II DR's would make my "_ _ _ _" get hard...lol

I need to start playing the lotto...

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Old nut is only at 95 ft lbs? Needs to be 240 minimum. I do 250 with red loctite. Thats definitely interesting with the double nut haha but I would double check the torque on the old nut. It may not be completely seated

Yeah, its was the pinion nut that was 95 ft/lbs. Axle nut was torqued to the 240. I remember now cause it maxed out my 1/2" drive 25-250ft/lb wrench. And I did use red loctite. Only on old nut tho. Not on the NAPA I used as the double.

But, now that you sparked that in my head, probably be a good idea to check again. Better safe than sorry. Prob do that this weekend.

Charlington

Established Member
Double nut

Can you mark the nuts with some hivis assembly marker, yellow, white etc? Quick glance to tell if they're coming loose.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Curious. Do you not like it because it's a 4.10? Or because it's a 4.10 in TOO high of a horsepower car?

I have read where a lot of the Cobra guys don't like the 4.10 because it's too much power for such a short gear. Granted you are speaking of a Cobra.

However, if your 4.10's were in an N/A GT with a third of the power, do you think you would have the same feelings toward them?

I have a 93 NOTCH and it has a 5 speed and 302 motor just too much gear for that application

Users who are viewing this thread