Is 23lbs of boost safe?

BigOrange

Established Member
I have a 6lb lower and I want to put a 3.0 pulley on top. That should make around 23lbs of boost on my KB 2.2L. I have 60lb injectors and a boost-a-pump. I will only run 110 fuel with this set-up. Is this amount of boost safe with a good dyno-tune or do I have to worry about head gaskets?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
You're kidding right? Don't expect your motor to hold out for long if it's stock.

BigOrange

Established Member
Is it the boost that's hurting the motor or the HP/TQ? There are many Cobras making around 600 rwhp with the stock long block.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
if you are always running 110 and have a good solid tune it should last for a long time. Dave King runs that psi and more on the stock motor and it lasts. Octane is this cars friend.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
if you are always running 110 and have a good solid tune it should last for a long time. Dave King runs that psi and more on the stock motor and it lasts. Octane is this cars friend.

This guy asked if it was "safe" to run 23lbs. You honestly feel good about
recommending running that much boost...even with a good tune
and race gas? That's on the edge. Can it last? Sure. Can it let go at
any time? Absolutely. The probability of the motor letting go must be
higher than it living.

My 2 cents only of course.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I agree. I wouldn't run 23# on my car. 21psi seems to be the max SAFE boost with race gas on a 03-04. If it were my car i'd run a 6# lower with a 3.25 upper for 110 octane and 20-23* timing and a 3.5 upper on 93/110 blend and 17-18* timing.

trey193

Established Member
As Dgussin said with race gas it no doubt will live. It depends on how the car is used if its a weekend warrior I see run it and keep good gas in it and it will be fine. IF its a daily driver I say back the boost down.

8URZ-28

Boost Freak
Established Member
I agree....if its your weekend car just make sure you keep good gas in it. Should last a good while with a good tune. Just stay away from high speed runs on the beltway!!!!

Machinator

Banned
dgussin1 said:

Very well said, I hate it when stupid people say this motor wont hold the power. If he is using the octane he mentioned with that octane he should last for a while. Just look at broke7's car. Or for cryin out loud look at mine. :rockon: With 21 psi just mix in a can of torco in 10 gallons of 93 and you have 104.

Last edited:

BigOrange

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I will only drive her with 110 fuel and only on the track. If I drive her on the street I will have another tune with much lower timing and I will stay away from WOT (as much as possible). I never do high speed passes on the Hwy.

BigOrange

Established Member
I only put on a 3.25 upper. Made 20lbs of boost. 21 degrees of timing. 597rwhp with temps of 103 and very high humidity. I also had 28x12.5 MT slicks which are stealing some hp.

Cobra_im

********* STAMPEDE
Established Member
Dude these motors are FORGED they should handle that I herd that 28psi is they Grey area that you should worry about. as long as his tune is good and good fuel he should be fine . (That is what I read anyways Im not 100% sure though)

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
Cobra_im said:
Dude these motors are FORGED they should handle that I herd that 28psi is they Grey area that you should worry about. as long as his tune is good and good fuel he should be fine . (That is what I read anyways Im not 100% sure though)
I've never heard of a Terminator running 28 psi, period. That is 20lb over stock!

SlowSVT

Established Member
"safe" is a realative term when talking about queezing more juice out of the motor. 23 lbs. boost is "less safe" then 19 lbs. which is "less safe" then 16 lbs. Your stressing the motor more at higher boost levels which increases the risk of breaking something. Use some common sense here.

Night Train

Established Member
BigOrange said:
I have a 6lb lower and I want to put a 3.0 pulley on top. That should make around 23lbs of boost on my KB 2.2L. I have 60lb injectors and a boost-a-pump. I will only run 110 fuel with this set-up. Is this amount of boost safe with a good dyno-tune or do I have to worry about head gaskets?
im seeing 22lbs on my kb 2.2 setup. i run straight vp ms109, so far so good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread