Is a 15/16 Viper a worthy step up?

1FASFKR

Established Member
I feel like I'm cheating on my Ruby. But yesterday I hit a dealership with 5 new Vipers on the showroom. All have serious discounts.

I don't know much about about the Gen V Vipers tho. I have always like their timeless design and I love that SRT hood. They're about 17 hp less stock vs stock but the Viper has 3:55s and weighs in at 3350 lbs vs 3760 lbs.

I'm definitely in thought process of selling Ruby and stepping into a Viper. Not for a daily driver but more of a casual and weekend driver. Pretty much the same thing I do with Ruby. I really think I can get a difference of $29k or a tad lower that I'd have to finance for an SRT or GT. Both with optional sidewinder hyper black wheels. Ruby has been paid off for a while and I have title in hand. Is it worth it? Or maybe what I'm really asking is to be talked out of it. LOL.

Last edited:

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
if your just using it for cruising etc etc then id say go for the Viper, if your doing any drag strip then stick with the shelby. both will turn a head but the Viper wins in that hands down..keep in mind you can count on spending 3 and 4x the amount on any kinda modding with the Viper...everything for them is expensive.

Njtony

Established Member
I've had the same thought bout going to the viper. The main factor for more in favor of a viper over cars such as a zo6 or 911 turbo is the exclusive body style. Can't mistake a viper for a lessor car. What was the avg range of prices at the dealer?

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Forget about modding for a minute. Shelbys are like Z06's. To most people they are just Mustangs and Corvettes. To the informed they are something very special. You drive a Viper around and you will turn almost every head on the road. People will point and stare in a good way.

You didn't say one way or the other if you test drove a Viper. They are awesome vehicles. Very tight and in tune with the road. Sweet rumble. I never stopped grinning.

I have 2014 GT500. To drive or cruise or anything I would rather own a 2015 Viper. Good luck with your decision. You will own an awesome vehicle regardless.

Midlifcrisis

Established Member
Very different cars but I love Vipers. The price recently came down also. They are very unique American Muscle.... less than 1000 built a year usually. They are track machines with no overheating issues like the current ZO6. Well sorted out and proven. Not as good a daily car as a Shelby, and they do get a little warm in the cabin......but those are small issues for what you are getting. If you love it, buy it. Compared to your GT500 its really apples and oranges.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you driven a Viper? It's a completely different experience and the last one I drove was an '04 around 2005, so not sure what the new ones are like.
Sitting behind a new one with 355 tires is impressive.
If you just keep your cars stock and pleasure drive, go with the Viper if you like driving it and can afford it.
As above, much more exclusive company.
If you're willing to mod more, the GT500 can make more power for reasonable money comparatively.
Can't go wrong either way.
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I almost sold my Shelby to buy a 2013 gen 5 viper, but I couldn't part with my car. I wish I could just own both lol. My best advice for you is to drive the viper and see if you really like it. Some people hate the way they drive.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
For straight line racing or roll racing:
Look up PDV, he posts here and has a Orange Viper TA, I think he is running a 450shot.

Here is a quote from his Gen V nitrous build: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/10188-TA-nitrous-progress

timberwolf said:
Poonyeta!! lol That thing is gonna be nasty!! What does a setup like this run? Minus the wheel n tires
Nitous kit, dual billet heated bracket, nos launch controller, fuel cells with pump and regulator ETC.... is about $3800.
Once I flick a switch it arms the nitrous and turns on the pump in the cell. Then the nos launch controller will engage it with throttle position voltage.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I think the Viper is a better performer between the two, but I have NEVER heard a Viper that I liked listening to. A big part of the enjoyment I get from all the Mustangs I've owned has been the exhaust note. You don't have to be going fast or driving like a maniac to get pleasure from a great sounding vehicle. I realize I am heavily in the minority in my opinion, but it's only my opinion after all. :)

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
They do sound like ass... ^^

This, but I'm having the same thoughts as the OP. Isn't this the last year of the Viper? The Shelby is awesome, but mine is still stock other than lowering springs and oil separator. If I did trade up to the Viper, I'd likely keep it stock.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I always liked the Viper & hoped to one day own one.
In 2010, when it was time to go in my wallet, I didn't see a 2010 Viper as 40K more car than a 2011 GT500.
The same thing happened in 2013 !

1FASFKR

Established Member
You didn't say one way or the other if you test drove a Viper.

No I have not test driven a Viper. I was really leaning toward doing that but I decided to seriously think on it some more. I can imagine it handles as well or better than my wife's Z51 with Magride.

What was the avg range of prices at the dealer?

Anywhere from $90k to $123k SRT to GT to GTS to ACR-E. They have a all levels it seemed. But the MSRP doesn't mean a thing. They have to sell them like anything else. They're willing to deal their ass off.

I think the Viper is a better performer between the two, but I have NEVER heard a Viper that I liked listening to. A big part of the enjoyment I get from all the Mustangs I've owned has been the exhaust note. You don't have to be going fast or driving like a maniac to get pleasure from a great sounding vehicle. I realize I am heavily in the minority in my opinion, but it's only my opinion after all. :)

The exhaust note is a valid concern of mine as well.

everyone needs to own a viper once in their life.

YOLO. You only live once...for those who are acronym challenged. LOL. Laugh out loud.

stanger1

Established Member
I drove an older Viper, don't remember the year, but I am a bigger guy and I felt cramped up and my legs felt like they were going into the front of the car.
I did not like it and was not easy to get in and out of.
Was not impressed by the power either. I'll keep my 13 GT500.
Maybe the new ones are better.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Ya I can tell they aren't easy to get in an out of. I was told people who are 6'3" or taller generally have to tilt their head to see out of the front. I'm 6'1" 205 so I'd probably be ok. I think the Gen V'S are good to go with power to weight ratio.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oddly enough I just went through this.. but I really wanted an ACR. I didn't want to fork out $130k so I went with a 2008.

Vipers are odd to drive if you haven't ever driven one. V-10s feel so much different than a V-8.

GT500 sound, practicability, and mod-ability wins over the Viper hands down.

I ended up with a Viper because it was something different.

rlhay2

Established Member
I made the transition from a '07 1200rwhp TT GT500 to a '13 SRT Viper.

They are many things the Viper does better. First off all is it weighs 400lbs less. That is an immense difference.
It is not as comfortable and I have kids so I do occasionally miss the back seat.

The stock Viper suspension feels very similar to my GT500 with the Watts link rear, Eibach coil overs and upgraded control arms.

I do miss how the Shelby could fly under the radar. There is no inconspicuousness in a Viper.

If the next GT500 weights 3700lbs or less, I shall be very tempted to trade.

Users who are viewing this thread