is a GT500 a Cobra?

txrunner

Established Member
This topic on this site is just for laughs.
This topic on TeamShelby gets somewhat serious.
This topic on Saacforum.com gets really hardcore.
The window sticker vehicle description for the 11 is Shelby.
The window sticker vehicle description for the 14 is Shelby GT500.
My insurance co. knows they are not just Mustangs, & charges me accordingly.
" The AC Cobra, sold as the Shelby Cobra in the United States of America, "
is not based on a Mustang..

Don't understand all the butt hurt. Carroll Shelby thought enough of the individual projects to plaster his name on it so why would anyone need to call it a cobra too. I don't hear Viper guys going around calling their cars Shelby's & he had involvement with that car. Car guys (& gals) know what a Ford Mustang Cobra is & what a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is. To argue what you car is called when the name is right on the back end of your car is just ignorant

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The Cobra is Shelby's trademark emblem. Ford lost a battle the first time Shelby and Ford worked together in the 60's. Ford tried to use it during the CJ era. That is when Shelby filed suit. If there is a Cobra on anything, Ford pays royalties to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txrunner

Established Member
The Cobra is Shelby's trademark emblem. Ford lost a battle the first time Shelby and Ford worked together in the 60's. Ford tried to use it during the CJ era. That is when Shelby filed suit. If there is a Cobra on anything, Ford pays royalties to use it.

Understood but the NAME of the car is a GT500 & the other is a Cobra

AAG

Established Member
If it's not a Cobra, why doesn't it have Cobra badges plastered all over it?

nickf2005

Established Member
Is it a Shelby or a Dakota?

1989-dodge-dakota-shelby-2m.jpg

You can put powdered sugar on a dog turd, but it doesn't make it a jelly doughnut.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What if I told you that calling the 2007 GT500 a Shelby, and not just the next SVT Cobra was a very last minute decision? Could the added cost of the Shelby branding cost the car its fully developed (and by all accounts very good) IRS?

txrunner

Established Member
I've noticed that this whole "GT500 isn't a Cobra" thing always comes from '03 '04 Cobra owners.

Don't quite understand this as it seems that the GT500 owners are the folks that seem to get so upset about the naming. I would guess (as a Cobra owner) that I would be proud to have the Shelby name on my car. Each has it's own story & doesn't need to borrow from the other. Cobra's story with John Colleti & the SVT crew & the GT500 developed with Carroll Shelby. Maybe it is just me but I am just a fan of fast cars & love the story behind both cars

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
What if I told you that calling the 2007 GT500 a Shelby, and not just the next SVT Cobra was a very last minute decision? Could the added cost of the Shelby branding cost the car its fully developed (and by all accounts very good) IRS?

Let me throw something in the mix. I had an 07 Shelby. I was in close contact with the actual builders, in Flat Rock. They sent me a his and hers shirt. Here is the pics
90d940402ca0629d0e8dc9d00572cefc.jpg

WVTrakPak

Established Member
So I read this whole thread....kinda feel a little silly as the result. I have never thought of my GT500 as a Cobra. I guess the final answer is on this forum....the GT500 is in the Cobra Forum section. How could it be in the Cobra Forum if it were not one?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
So I read this whole thread....kinda feel a little silly as the result. I have never thought of my GT500 as a Cobra. I guess the final answer is on this forum....the GT500 is in the Cobra Forum section. How could it be in the Cobra Forum if it were not one?

There you go - close thread.

No seriously - someone PLEASE close this thread!

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't hear Viper guys going around calling their cars Shelby's & he had involvement with that car.

In all fairness there isn't as many variations of the viper compared to the mustang. Listing all the variations of the mustang is like bubba gump listing the different ways to make shrimp

jmsa540

Established Member

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

What that would tell me is that vehicle performance (and the associated hardware) was compromised in search of a quick marketing buck, and that the company "sold out" when it comes to true automotive enthusiasts.

Hardware > graphics

Users who are viewing this thread