is air suspension good for the track/autox ?

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Does Vaughn Gittin drive a gt500? 6 seconds is a loooong time on a track. I ran 6 seconds slower than the Air-ride car, i was STOCK everything and Winter tires.

6 seconds is a long time but you have to put it into perspective. He doesnt drive a GT500 but he makes a living driving and he's damn good at it. He's has 100s of hours in the drivers seat of that car. You could buy multiple GT500s for the money Vaughn has in his car and GT500s are not built for autocrossing to begin with. Also, the guy driving air lifts car had just started autocrossing earlier that summer. He is not a professional driver.

No point in arguing time between cars that are night and day apart. I just threw that example out as a personal experience. That was the first time my car had ever even been on an autocross track.

Last edited:

Fun4me

Established Member
6 seconds is a long time but you have to put it into perspective. He doesnt drive a GT500 but he makes a living driving and he's damn good at it. He's has 100s of hours in the drivers seat of that car. You could buy multiple GT500s for the money Vaughn has in his car and GT500s are not built for autocrossing to begin with. Also, the guy driving air lifts car had just started autocrossing earlier that summer. He is not a professional driver.

No point in arguing time between cars that are night and day apart. I just threw that example out as a personal experience. That was the first time my car had ever even been on an autocross track.
How long have you been on bags? Any maintanance issues?

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member

I've had my setup for about 18 months. I've only had one issue and it was totally my fault. Two wires touched and the compressors wouldn't kick off. Rewired it and she's fine. I did pick up an air hose repair connector though as a backup and I keep it in my glove box. Got it at a truck repair shop for about $5. If an air hose would ever get a hole in it or break the connector would be an easy fix. My car isn't a daily driver but I did drive it to mustang week which is about a 500 mile trip each way.

Fun4me

Established Member
I've had my setup for about 18 months. I've only had one issue and it was totally my fault. Two wires touched and the compressors wouldn't kick off. Rewired it and she's fine. I did pick up an air hose repair connector though as a backup and I keep it in my glove box. Got it at a truck repair shop for about $5. If an air hose would ever get a hole in it or break the connector would be an easy fix. My car isn't a daily driver but I did drive it to mustang week which is about a 500 mile trip each way.
Miles?

Fun4me

Established Member
Jeremy has offfered to show the car in sw michigan around March. You know the saying "seeing is believing", so we'll see.

I still can't get over the fact that a 4k dollar suspension system only comes w/ a 1yr warranty.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Jeremy has offfered to show the car in sw michigan around March. You know the saying "seeing is believing", so we'll see.

I still can't get over the fact that a 4k dollar suspension system only comes w/ a 1yr warranty.

Yeah check it out and see what you think. Most things you buy don't come with anything more than a 1yr warranty. I just bought a stainless steel fridge for $3500 and it only came with a 1yr warranty.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
If air ride is SOOOOO good, American Iron, American Iron X, and the PROS would be using it. I think the air ride guys selling the stuff are trying to justify a top product, when its not.

MoonRider

Established Member
I like air ride since i drive a dump truck. But I wouldn't like it on my performance car cause it might give that feeling of ( im floating ) but on a car it might be different. Air ride does give you the slammed look and looks good for a show car. If your going to auto x or track it look for a good coilovers. Turka s car handles like its on rails for being mild set up

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
If air ride is SOOOOO good, American Iron, American Iron X, and the PROS would be using it. I think the air ride guys selling the stuff are trying to justify a top product, when its not.

And how much have those guys invested in their suspensions? Do they drive their cars on the street? I'm not saying air is better and if i was dumping $100k into a race car I prob wouldn't run air ride either but it's undoubtedly a great option for a street car that's very track capable. Both have their pros and cons. I can set mine nice and low for the track and then in about 6 seconds raise it and load it onto any trailer or go over any speed bump.

Carbon Driven

Established Member
Sure you could but why would you add the weight of an air tank + accessories and risk having an air line failure at high track speeds? I know companies like AirLift have come a long way but I'm one of those paranoid types :shrug:
Actually I have just installed the Air Lift new Track Pack coilover air bags and I have saved weight when compared to stock suspension. This includes every single component for th air bag setup.
The leader lines coming out of the bags are steel braided lines, very secure and safe

Last edited:

Carbon Driven

Established Member
I have been on air bags for a couple of years now. No maintence issues at all and I have tracked mine at Willow Springs Big Track a couple times. Cant wait to go next with my new Track Pack air lift coilover bags. They are by far the SICKEST suspension I have ever had and I have had Eibach R1 coilovers before too

I think Im somewhere well over the 20,000 mile mark on air bags

Carbon Driven

Established Member
I like air ride since i drive a dump truck. But I wouldn't like it on my performance car cause it might give that feeling of ( im floating ) but on a car it might be different. Air ride does give you the slammed look and looks good for a show car. If your going to auto x or track it look for a good coilovers. Turka s car handles like its on rails for being mild set up
It absolutely does NOT feel like riding on air lol. My setup feels very comparable if not better than the Eibach R1 coilover I used to have.

My setup now feels like riding on rails. The handling is amazing.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I forgot to mention I had the FRPP handling package prior to the air setup.

Fun4me

Established Member
I have been on air bags for a couple of years now. No maintence issues at all and I have tracked mine at Willow Springs Big Track a couple times. Cant wait to go next with my new Track Pack air lift coilover bags. They are by far the SICKEST suspension I have ever had and I have had Eibach R1 coilovers before too

I think Im somewhere well over the 20,000 mile mark on air bags

So you just recently upgraded your bags? When upgrading, did you need to replace anything other than the bags? How much for the initial setup? Upgrade? Were you able to do the install easily?

Thanks for your replies, there is not alot of bag users.

Pred_mech

Established Member
Im doing the bags, beginning of March or so. On top of the performance gain, comfort gain, I am going to do it for the fact that I could load my car on to my trailer and use a lift like a normal person and not have to drive up on wood blocks all the damn time or scrape on speed bumps etc, the list of Pros is way too long to list. My car is a daily driver as well.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Im doing the bags, beginning of March or so. On top of the performance gain, comfort gain, I am going to do it for the fact that I could load my car on to my trailer and use a lift like a normal person and not have to drive up on wood blocks all the damn time or scrape on speed bumps etc, the list of Pros is way too long to list. My car is a daily driver as well.

The versatility was a huge deciding factor for me as well. Where my driveway hits the street I'd often scrape with my coilover setup. Now its a breeze. Same goes with jacking the car etc.

Fun4me

Established Member
For a legit setup, its like 3.5-4k. Thats alot of mod money. I can see getting the cheaper 2k system, if your doing it mainly for looks and comfort. But for me to drop 4k, it would have to be a lifechanging experience when I test drive the Air-lift car. Cant really knock it, 'til I try it.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
For a legit setup, its like 3.5-4k. Thats alot of mod money. I can see getting the cheaper 2k system, if your doing it mainly for looks and comfort. But for me to drop 4k, it would have to be a lifechanging experience when I test drive the Air-lift car. Cant really knock it, 'til I try it.

Cost is a deciding factor for most people, nothing wrong with that. I personally wouldn't cheap out though on something like my suspension especially not with bags. If the cheaper kits are proven to be quality then that's different. I got my kit for about 50% off so to be fair I can't tell you to drop $4k on air ride. You know what you can afford. Jeremy is a cool dude, i'm sure you will enjoy your test drive.

Fun4me

Established Member
Cost is a deciding factor for most people, nothing wrong with that. I personally wouldn't cheap out though on something like my suspension especially not with bags. If the cheaper kits are proven to be quality then that's different. I got my kit for about 50% off so to be fair I can't tell you to drop $4k on air ride. You know what you can afford. Jeremy is a cool dude, i'm sure you will enjoy your test drive.
Exactly my point, I don't want the cheap setup thats just for looks.
I understand that alot of high-end stuff has crap warranties, but if Air-Lift wants to be a competitor to lifetime warrantied struts(Koni) they should consider offering more than 1yr. Alot of guys only put 2-5k miles on their cars in a year. Just seems like they're not too confident in their product, or have tested it and found out it doesn't hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread