is air suspension good for the track/autox ?

RusWolf

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone is knowledgable in air suspension. Instead of getting KWV3 coils, i was wondering about air ride suspension.
Do you guys know if its good for the track/autox or is it mainly for just driving and shows ?
Thanks.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Air suspension has came a long way. A car running air ride actually won the SCCA championship a few years ago. The new systems are incredible. Checkout Air Lift if you decide to go that route. They have a shop S197 that they track all the time. They even brought it to mustang week last year and autocrossed it. They'll be this year as well to the best of my knowledge. I can put you in touch with my buddy Jeremy at Air Lift you are interested. He's a car guy and will give you all the information you need with zero pressure to buy. I love my setup.

RusWolf

Established Member
Air suspension has came a long way. A car running air ride actually won the SCCA championship a few years ago. The new systems are incredible. Checkout Air Lift if you decide to go that route. They have a shop S197 that they track all the time. They even brought it to mustang week last year and autocrossed it. They'll be this year as well to the best of my knowledge. I can put you in touch with my buddy Jeremy at Air Lift you are interested. He's a car guy and will give you all the information you need with zero pressure to buy. I love my setup.

Great ! Thanks for your reply. Yes, that would be good to speak to him. I' m trying to get my car ready for the big show in june. If i get it ready i want to display the car.

With air ride to track the car do you also need sway bars and the rest of little parts ?
How much did your set up cost you?

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
How much for a full setup?

Great ! Thanks for your reply. Yes, that would be good to speak to him. I' m trying to get my car ready for the big show in june. If i get it ready i want to display the car.

With air ride to track the car do you also need sway bars and the rest of little parts ?
How much did your set up cost you?

Just call Air Lift 800-248-0892 and use extension 255 to talk to him. Tell him Nate sent you. Even if you just want information and are not ready to buy he will be glad to help without trying to pressure you into anything.

I have sway bars on mine and every little bit helps although they aren't necessary. Price really all depends on what you want in a setup. They offer 2 different style bags, different size air tanks, and same with compressors. I run a 5gallon air tank with two viair compressors. I got my setup heavily discounted but expect to spend anywhere from $2800+. My setup is probably around the $3800 price point.

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
Sure you could but why would you add the weight of an air tank + accessories and risk having an air line failure at high track speeds? I know companies like AirLift have come a long way but I'm one of those paranoid types :shrug:

Last edited:

bryantaylor

Established Member
air is cool and can work well, but can really be a pain in the butt. if you are a pretty decent mechanic, have the extra money, another car, and just want to be different, go for it. but if you just want to bolt the stuff on and not touch it for 10 years, get the coilovers.

Fun4me

Established Member
air is cool and can work well, but can really be a pain in the butt. if you are a pretty decent mechanic, have the extra money, another car, and just want to be different, go for it. but if you just want to bolt the stuff on and not touch it for 10 years, get the coilovers.
Can you go into a bit more detail please?

bryantaylor

Established Member
there is a lot of potential failure points with airbags, and trying to find a fault can be a real headache. you have the bags, air lines, solenoids, compressor, relays and wiring for all the solenoids and compressor, height sensors, speed sensors, etc. and if there is a fault, you usually have to have it towed home.

but with coilovers you have none of the worry and extra weight. just bolt them on, adjust the ride height, set the damping where you want and thats it.

JeremyAL

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone is knowledgable in air suspension. Instead of getting KWV3 coils, i was wondering about air ride suspension.
Do you guys know if its good for the track/autox or is it mainly for just driving and shows ?
Thanks.

Hit me up if you have any questions!

Sure you could but why would you add the weight of an air tank + accessories and risk having an air line failure at high track speeds? I know companies like AirLift have come a long way but I'm one of those paranoid types :shrug:

Think about it this way. Air Lift uses the same components that are used on semi-trucks that carry thousands of pounds over hundred of thousands of miles with no issue. Just a thought.......:thumbsup:

Fun4me

Established Member
The 1yr warranty is kinda suspect. If they were designed to go hundreds of thousands of miles......

JeremyAL

Established Member
The 1yr warranty is kinda suspect. If they were designed to go hundreds of thousands of miles......

I didn't mean the Air Lift kits were designed to go that far. I meant it as they use the same type of air bags and lines that semi's use covering all those miles.
Air suspensions are extremely reliable these days.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I'd love to get the opinion of someone who auto crosses with these...

I let my brother in law autocross mine at Mustang week this last summer. He races in a dirt track series so he's not bad behind the wheel of a car. He literally got in the drivers seat of my car for the first time ever just seconds before starting the autocross. He ran 6 seconds slower than Vaughn Gittin ran in his racecar. I rode passenger and was amazed at how well the car did.

Fun4me

Established Member
Does Vaughn Gittin drive a gt500? 6 seconds is a loooong time on a track. I ran 6 seconds slower than the Air-ride car, i was STOCK everything and Winter tires.

Users who are viewing this thread