Is an x pipe REALLY worth it?

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I was thinking of getting a Bassani catted x-pipe. I heard gains of around 7rwhp. :read: Has anyone dyno'd before and after? Any actual numbers? Loss of low end torque? :shrug:

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I went catless before I knew there would be some torque loss due to "no" back pressure.It sounds great, but I may be adding high flow cats in the near future.If I can trade a little sound for a little more power its a no brainer. Buy the one with high flow cats.Its worth it.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
with your mods, it's definitely the missing link! I would expect 20-30rwhp with your mods.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I'm not looking for anymore sound. It’s loud enough right now. Looking for HP and torque. If I could get 20 ponies by adding a catted x, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Anyone have any dyno numbers to back this up?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
IMHO, sound would be the only reason to get a aftermarket midpipe. There aren't alot of gains to be made by switching out. Don't think there is anyway it's worth 20 ponies.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The stock h pipe flows damn good! It has high flow cats as well. My midpipe (magnaflow catted x) may have yielded me 5-8 rwhp if I'm lucky. I seriously doubt you'll see anything over 10hp with just adding an aftermarket midpipe.

PoisonSnake

Banned
Go with an Off Road H. It will probably give the same rwhp (give or take) as the Catted X but will sound 1000 X better. It's the cat back which adds the ponies.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
PoisonSnake said:
Go with an Off Road H. It will probably give the same rwhp (give or take) as the Catted X but will sound 1000 X better. It's the cat back which adds the ponies.

+1

Don't get cats, if you go high boost, you'll just clog them up. Waste of $$$$

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Here is my before & after dyno, same dyno, different days. I added a magnaflow catted X to my FR500 catback.

P6200742.jpg

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I changed out mine with the SLP hi-flow catted X. Holy crap!! I could tell a huge difference. Not to menting the sound. Well worth the money!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sambandit said:
IMHO, sound would be the only reason to get a aftermarket midpipe. There aren't alot of gains to be made by switching out. Don't think there is anyway it's worth 20 ponies.
Just one other comment. If you decide to go with a new midpipe, please listen to both the X-pipe (Magnaflow, Bassani, Dr. Gas) and the H-pipe (MRT). They each have a very distinctive sound. I had the X-pipe and never could get used to the "exotic" sound. Whereas the MRT maintains that classic muscle Mustang sound. Had I heard both I would have personally gone with the MRT H-pipe. Roughly the same power gains for both.

Users who are viewing this thread