Is anyone running a VMP elbow on their TVS?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Was curious how much more whine it has over the stock Roush piece. Any noticeable gain with stock kit throttle body? What are you running for throttle body? How much boost / pulley are you running?

by9468840

Established Member
Always had a feeling all that elbow, larger throttle body, port matching stuff is worth when you are like 15 psi or more.
TVS is normally whine free. CAI makes it whine. Not the elbow.
my roush tvs has stock elbow, stock TB. Roush CAI and 79mm, I am only seeing 9.5-10psi with VMP tune (17.5* timing). I think that with coyote engines, all that boost talk is irrelevant as it highly depends on the tune it seems. couple of other guys are seeing almost 12psi with a larger pulley. Even with a tiny 74mm and CAI, i barely had 11-11.5 psi.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Justin told me I'd hear more blower whine. I have a 123 JLT CIA already and the blower whine is at a minimum. I like it like that. I was just wanting to gather some real world opinions from people that have them.

BTW I've seen complaints about the JLT. Once I cleaned off all all the oil from the filter, I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. It's always purred like a kitten. Filter came off a few times at first.

prn1972

Established Member
I ran the vmp elbow/super cobra jet mono blade throttle body/jlt big air intake/75mm pulley making 15lbs of boost.

The boost will depend on many varibles besides pulley size, complete intake setup, exhaust setup & the tune.

As other have said the CAI is what let's you hear the while not the elbow, maybe opening up the elbow with bigger TB along with a CAI will help increase the sound, spinning the blower harder with smaller pulley will also help.

I doubt just doing a elbow with the stock TB will help much, the stock TB would be the restiction at that point assuming you already had a CAI.

To get anything out of the bigger elbow the blower inlet has to be ported to match the bigger elbow.

burke985

Established Member
I ran the vmp elbow/super cobra jet mono blade throttle body/jlt big air intake/75mm pulley making 15lbs of boost.

The boost will depend on many varibles besides pulley size, complete intake setup, exhaust setup & the tune.

As other have said the CAI is what let's you hear the while not the elbow, maybe opening up the elbow with bigger TB along with a CAI will help increase the sound, spinning the blower harder with smaller pulley will also help.

I doubt just doing a elbow with the stock TB will help much, the stock TB would be the restiction at that point assuming you already had a CAI.

To get anything out of the bigger elbow the blower inlet has to be ported to match the bigger elbow.

+1...didn't a member here do a test on all that stuff(Bigger CAI,TB And Elbow) and only saw gains of 1whp if i remember correctly up to 13psi

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
+1...didn't a member here do a test on all that stuff(Bigger CAI,TB And Elbow) and only saw gains of 1whp if i remember correctly up to 13psi

Yea something was wrong there. Adding a Bigger CAI, TB and ported elbow would have to be more then 1rwhp.

burke985

Established Member
Yea something was wrong there. Adding a Bigger CAI, TB and ported elbow would have to be more then 1rwhp.

I wanna say he was testing it over the stock roush stuff , I could be wrong though I'll see if I can dig it up

FIFTY

Established Member
I wanna say he was testing it over the stock roush stuff , I could be wrong though I'll see if I can dig it up

I think i remember that as well, it was a MMFF build, they ended up blowing the OPG and getting the aluminator right?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I've tried to find out about this too. I have the twin 67, but wonder if just switching out to the VMP elbow would be worth any gains.. Most tests you see are in conjunction with their bigger TB...

Coonsnake

Established Member
Yes that was the our 5.0 we done the MMFF test article with. We broke the oil pump gears in the stock motor and ended just replacing it with an aluminator. When we done the testing on the dyno we didn't see any big gains with the t/b, elbow and cold air. That being said we were only like 11 psi before we done a pulley swap. I believe if we had more boost we would have saw better gains on the dyno. On the track it ran great tho, and if you want the most out of your blower then the VMP elbow, cj throttle body and JLT is the way to go if you have the money to spend like we did at the time. Like others have mentioned, all the 9 sec tvs cars run those

burke985

Established Member
Yes that was the our 5.0 we done the MMFF test article with. We broke the oil pump gears in the stock motor and ended just replacing it with an aluminator. When we done the testing on the dyno we didn't see any big gains with the t/b, elbow and cold air. That being said we were only like 11 psi before we done a pulley swap. I believe if we had more boost we would have saw better gains on the dyno. On the track it ran great tho, and if you want the most out of your blower then the VMP elbow, cj throttle body and JLT is the way to go if you have the money to spend like we did at the time. Like others have mentioned, all the 9 sec tvs cars run those

Just wanna understand this then , for guys running 10 psi or lower like myself it does not benefit right? Dont wanna waste money and im already at 640-650 at the wheels and i think that is the max i wanna put on the stock internals anyhow and the JLT is just god awful looking to me and after reading about fitament issues it makes me never want one . Really the numbers from guys installing the VMP kits are not really any better than guys installing Roush kits. Obviously supporting mods will make the numbers go up or down at the same boost levels but generally they are pretty close to the same.

Last edited:

Coonsnake

Established Member
Just wanna understand this then , for guys running 10 psi or lower like myself it does not benefit right? Dont wanna waste money and im already at 640-650 at the wheels and i think that is the max i wanna put on the stock internals anyhow and the JLT is just god awful looking to me and after reading about fitament issues it makes me never want one . Really the numbers from guys installing the VMP kits are not really any better than guys installing Roush kits. Obviously supporting mods will make the numbers go up or down at the same boost levels but generally they are pretty close to the same.

IMO, i wouldn't if I were you. But other people have diff opinions and views on this, and saw different results. Elbow is fairly cheap, you can find a used tb like we did for around 450, and jlts are priced fairly.....

burke985

Established Member
IMO, i wouldn't if I were you. But other people have diff opinions and views on this, and saw different results. Elbow is fairly cheap, you can find a used tb like we did for around 450, and jlts are priced fairly.....

If there is really no benefit then I guess it would be pointless to do. Thanks for answering my questions

prn1972

Established Member
I don't have an apples to apples comparison, but on a 82mm pulley, stock elbow & stock TB, jlt big air intake, stock exhaust besides Roush AB i made 466whp on low reading Mustang Dyno

Upgraded to 75mm pulley, vmp elbow,ported inlet of blower to match elbow, super cobra jet TB, same CAI, long tubes, high flow catted h pipe, lethal over the axle pipes, same AB & made 606whp on same dyno, custom Dyno tune also

140whp gain can't all be exhaust & pulley, but this was at 15lbs of boost(higher boost)

Last edited:

Coonsnake

Established Member
If your running lower boost opening up the intake track won't help that much. I'm running a 72mm and all the intake modes and it made a big diff in my car.
True, curious as how big of gains you saw?

I don't have an apples to apples comparison, but on a 82mm pulley, stock elbow & stock TB, jlt big air intake, stock exhaust besides Roush AB i made 466whp on low reading Mustang Dyno

Upgraded to 75mm pulley, vmp elbow,ported inlet of blower to match elbow, super cobra jet TB, same CAI, long tubes, high flow catted h pipe, lethal over the axle pipes, same AB & made 606whp on same dyno, custom Dyno tune also

140whp gain can't all be exhaust & pulley, but this was at 15lbs of boost(higher boost)

We saw i think 38hp from 2 psi and like 30 something with doing an off road h pipe and 3'' cutback. Your tuner probably added more timing as well with the dyno tune. Don't doubt at all your gains

Shaun@AED

We see HUGE gains from TB/CAI with the stock TVS inlet.
50+RWHP
And we have customers running 9's with the stock inlet, Twin 65MM FRPP TB, and JLT CAI.

IMO there are HUGE gains to be made from opening up the inlet on any PD blower application.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
We see HUGE gains from TB/CAI with the stock TVS inlet.
50+RWHP
And we have customers running 9's with the stock inlet, Twin 65MM FRPP TB, and JLT CAI.

IMO there are HUGE gains to be made from opening up the inlet on any PD blower application.

So your saying the TB might be more important then the elbow?

Thanks for all the input guys!

Users who are viewing this thread