Is BBK in the process of making headers?

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Wanting to do long tubes pretty soon and have always been satisfied with the quality, fit and finish of BBK. Are they going to make long tube headers specifically for the 03 cobras? Thanks guys!

stangin

Established Member
BBK long tubes

BBK already make the long tube headers. I would get the 1 5/8" tubes or you will loose a lot of bottom end torque. Been there done that twice now and the second car was a blown car, I thought for sure the 1 3/4 would be better. Lost too much bottom end torque. I like the fact that they are 50 state smog legal. I cant decide which brand to go with though, yet. Is anyone running the BBK that can comment?

Edit, I looked again and they give the part number for 99 year up to current so they are the wrong port design, my bad. It will work, but not well. Might as well leave the stock manifold on.

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
The '99 up BBK 4v headers work fine on the '03. The very slight port "mis-match" is not critical with the newer head gasket. I have seen several '03s with them installed and no performance issues. In fact I have a set that I am still debating about installing or just going to the JBA or FRPP shorties for emmision reasons. If you are heavily modding the car then the Kooks or QMP headers should be your first option.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
I have had BBKs since I bought the Cobra, I have not had any problems. Got to love the power and sound.

Matt03

Established Member
I put them on my car when I had about 2,000 miles on it and now I have a little over 10,000. I haven't had any problems and they sound great. There is a noticeable difference in low end torque compared to a stock car. Good luck!

Matt

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Hey Bingo13, if you decide to not go with the long tubes I'd be very interested in them if they haven't been used. Let me know the details on them and how much you want for them. I live just south of Houston so we could even arrange a place to meet instead of shipping it. Also I thought the BBK's are emmissions legal?

Matt03---I'm hoping you mean by a difference in torque, that it feels like there's more. :)

PhilipR

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SonicSnake
Chillfactor, where did you get yours installed? and if you don't mind me asking how much was it?

Check your PM's.

BTW, a Dr. Gas offroad x sounds pretty mean with the bbk longtubes.

BOOOOST

Established Member
#1, a port mismatch on the headers is not a good thing. BBK needs to rectify this before too many more are sold. It's almost a given that they will, so how many of you, that currently have them on your vehicle, or own some but not yet on, are going to be ticked when they do?

#2, BBK's and QMP's are a bitch to put in unless you drop the K-member (if you have a lift this is actually pretty easy to do).

#3, QMP pipes are nice, but too low (regardless of what is told, someone is bound to crush them). They could have easily designed them to be above the cross brace under the car, just how the BBK's are. Here's some pix of the the BBK's on a '96 Cobra versus QMP's on an '03 Cobra:

hanglowd.jpg

QMPGrdClearance.jpg

#4, Kooks headers are undoubtedly the best header for the '03 Cobra at this time. They are also easiest to install, although still not quick install by any means. Unfortunately there is a stranglehold on them in this market, which is ashame, IMHO.

Regardless, if you notice, the '03 Cobra headers are cheaper than the '99-'03 Lightning headers (considering there are twice as many Gen-2 Lightnings as '03 Cobras, that doesn't make much sense). Up until now only Kooks had Lightning LT's. Now Dynatech will have a set hitting the market in several weeks for the Lightnings. The prices are bound to drop. Also, Dynatech will have '03 Cobra headers available over the next few months, so be prepared for yet another player in the field.

Last edited:

matt lankford

all is sold
you wont find better quality headers that the qmp setup. 304 stainless with laser cut flanges. single piece with slip on collectors, no leaks, no fitment problems, top quality stuff

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Ron--Thank you so much for answering my question about the fitting of the 99+ BBK longtubes. Would the 1 5/8" tubes be the right ones to go with? What is the part number for the longtubes??

Users who are viewing this thread