Is BBK in the process of making headers?

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Ron--Thanks for the email, you'll definitely be getting a call from me within the next week or so. How long does it take you to install them by the way?

BOOOOST

Established Member
The port match does very much matter on exhaust, especially on the headers. I've personally not tested a set of BBK's on an '03, but your information is rather interesting, Ron. I plan on putting in a call to BBK today and also do some more pondering on what you've said.

It would really be to their advantage to create a new flange style for these heads. I'm sure Ford will continue to use this port shape for a few years, and may carry it over into the '05 Mustang. It "scares" people away from purchasing something that doesn't "match up", especially when they are being unrelentlessly hammered online. Do they even have a disclaimer of this in the packaging for '03 owners? Again, that's important. The tooling wouldn't be much more since they already have a great layout through the exit path, and the highest from the ground collector design of anyone.

Ron, if you wouldn't mind, would you please post these pix you have to help shed some light on this sore subject. Merely stating you have pictures isn't going to help, and undoubtedely will cause a rash of requests, much like mine :D ;-)

Last edited:

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Yes, let's see some pics. I have a set of BBKs from my '97 Cobra that I am selling because I had heard the exhaust ports are not compatible with the '03 heads. If it's not the case then I may have to hold on to them.

Ron Short

Established Member
96-98's are different than 99+.

Anyone wanting pics can e-mail me for them. I'm not allowed to link off here to my site for said images.

BOOOOST

Established Member
BBK LT's on a 2003 Cobra

Ron sent me both of these.

1st

Last edited:

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Just to be sure, we're looking at a set of BBK headers in the top picture with a metal gasket from an '03 Cobra, and in the bottom picture we have the same gasket on an '03 Cobra head, right? I thought the '03 Cobra exhaust ports were way more square. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ron Short

Established Member
Yes, that's a stock 03 gasket in both pics. He has a couple more pics he can post if he likes. The thing about 03's being way different is a bunch of bullcrap! But what do I know?!? I just try to use logic and common sense.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Nino, I see what you're saying. Yes, those are '03 heads with the 99+ Cobra BBK LT's (they are different than the '96-'98 series).

Here's what Jeremy @ JDM posted in his their exhaust special thread. Looking at both those pictures shows that he's comparing a set of '96-'98 Cobra LT's. As Rod said before, this is NOT a big issue at all, yet it's the "rumors" that's making it appear this way.:

Originally posted by Jeremy@JDM
The First "03 Cobra" Long Tube Headers to hit the market. The '03 Cobra has larger, squared off exhaust ports compared to the 96-01 Cobra's. Check out the pictures below. Using a 96-01 Cobra Header will actually choke off your exhaust!

head2.jpg

head1.jpg

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
The only difference in the pre-'99 and '99+ BBK headers has to do with the air injection connections, right? Or do they have different port shapes also? Reason I ask is because I have a set of '97 Cobra BBK headers I'd like to install in the '03.

-Nino

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by Nino
The only difference in the pre-'99 and '99+ BBK headers has to do with the air injection connections, right? Or do they have different port shapes also? Reason I ask is because I have a set of '97 Cobra BBK headers I'd like to install in the '03.

No, your part # is BBK-15320 for '96-'99, and the BBK-15330 is for '99+. The ports are different on the two sets of headers.

Read my post again above. That is pure rumor about the exhaust ports being that much different to make a difference on the 99-01 versus 03. I posted you two pictures directly above that Jeremy from JDM posted showing the difference between 96-98 headers, and 99+. His post was sort of misleading because he stated 96-'01.

Last edited:

Ron Short

Established Member
The ports are a little different on 96-98 BBK, and the primary bends are different. I can't say if the bend difference would matter or not, but they are different. And of course, 99+ headers don't have air-pump tubes, but you could always plug them up. You might want to just sell your 96-98 pieces to someone like Gary Garza that wants a set and start with a new set for your 03. Just my opinion though.

stangin

Established Member
Is there anyone who would object or not use the later model BBK's on an 03 Cobra after reading this, speak up now! Im still deciding, I like the fact they are 50 state legal and carry a Carb EO #. I hear they are a bitch to install though and Im guessing the member would have to come down. How about steering linkage, would it have to be disassembled?

Ron Short

Established Member
I remove the steering shaft from the rack, then the endlinks off the spindles, then slide the rack off the centering pins. Then rotate it foward and zip-tie it to the radiator lower body cross-member. No lines or anything major has to be done other than that. Then support the engine and drop the K-member. Once the K-member is out, lower the engine and you can get to all 16 nuts at a straight shot. It takes about 3 minutes each to remove the stock manifolds at this point. You don't need to remove the starter or anything doing it this way either. It's not too hard, but a little time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread