Is belt slippage possible with a 3.10 pulley?

03cobracoupe

Established Member
I notice that when i get above 6000 rpm that my boost drops to about 9 or 10 versus 12. Why is it doing this. Isnt a 3.10 to big to be slippin? thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobracoupe
Isnt a 3.10 to big to be slippin? thanks
That's what I thought too. Are you running the correct size belt and what kind is it? Who made the pulley?

03cobracoupe

Established Member
Re: Re: Is belt slippage possible with a 3.10 pulley?

Originally posted by 03DOHC
That's what I thought too. Are you running the correct size belt and what kind is it? Who made the pulley?

Yes i have the right belt And amazon racing made it

03Steve

Established Member
Then we have the same setup. I will check my car for slippage. Maybe some guys with smaller pullies could elaborate on the characteristics of belt slipping? Does the car feel like it stumbles?

03DOHC

Established Member
Powdered belt residue around the top pulley and loss of boost up top I believe.

BlownCobra

Established Member
Check the belt for shinnyness. (Another sign of slip) What size belt is it anyway?? Rick usually sells Napa's (Which are made by Gates)

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Less pressure is not always less power. The goal is mass transfer. That is, moving as much air into the cylinder as possible.

There are other factors that lead to loss of boost at higher rpms and they may be unavoidable:

1) increased viscous losses and charge heating affect the compressiblity of the supercharged air -- hot air compresses differently.

2) cylinder filling/scavaging events are dynamic and change their behavior as your climb the rpm range -- more unburnt fuel is going out the exhaust, not a bad prospect actually.

I suspect that the next phase in modifications will be a revised camshaft pattern. The exhaust profile & timing is especially lame.

In short high rpm boost loss is nearly unavoidable until you move to the "next step", which will require opening up the engine --and your wallet.

Just of offer a data point, I have a 3.2" pully with dusting on the pully shroud.

If you are really having trouble sleeping at night you can PM me for a dissertation on fluid dynamics....

-Jon

matt lankford

all is sold
you can get slip even with the stock pulley. if you go to a carwash with the pulley guard off and the hood mod cut out you can get a soapy belt that will slip too

Users who are viewing this thread