Is it me, or...

Teddy O

Established Member
I've been searching around online for a couple weeks for anyone that has had a similar problem, but haven't found anything yet. That probably means that either there is something wrong with my car, or something wrong with me. I hope this topic hasn't been covered here, as I don't want to waste anyone's time.

This senario has occured about a dozen times now. From a dead stop I depress the clutch, put the car in 1st, release the clutch and the car doesn't move / tranny grinds. I depress the clutch again, push forward on the shifter, it moves forward another half inch or so, and then I can take off. So the shifter is going into the 1st gear gate, and fooling me into thinking that it's all the way in and fully engaged, when in reality it apparently isn't.

Every time this happens I feel like a complete dope. I've driven / owned many manual vehicles and never had this happen to me ever. So my question is is there something wrong with the car (clutch hanging / shift linkage), or do I need to just practice because this car is very different from my other Stangs?

Any input is greatly appreciated, I'm scratching my head here.

PS. It's '14 GT500

5.8 Venom

Established Member
If you are pushing it all the way over (left) and up as far as it will go. You can shove/push on the shifter, it won't hurt it. If you are sure your putting it all the way into first, then I would say take it to the dealer to get looked at. I have never had 1st grind while letting the clutch out.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I thought I read that there was a problem with some of the clutch slave cylinders binding or sticking during operation. You should trying doing a search on this "problem".

Teddy O

Established Member
If you are pushing it all the way over (left) and up as far as it will go. You can shove/push on the shifter, it won't hurt it. If you are sure your putting it all the way into first, then I would say take it to the dealer to get looked at. I have never had 1st grind while letting the clutch out.

Yes, good point. I considered that I may be too gentle with it, and just need to shove it into gear harder / beat the car a little more. As far as the bringing it to the dealer, I bet I'd never be able to duplicate it on purpose. Lol.

I thought I read that there was a problem with some of the clutch slave cylinders binding or sticking during operation. You should trying doing a search on this "problem".

I'll search for that problem and it's symptoms. Thank you.

mullens

Established Member
If it's happened a dozen times you can duplicate it so take it in to the dealer. No reason to be sweating this... use that warrantyand let them worry about it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
This senario has occured about a dozen times now. From a dead stop I depress the clutch, put the car in 1st, release the clutch and the car doesn't move / tranny grinds. I depress the clutch again, push forward on the shifter, it moves forward another half inch or so, and then I can take off. So the shifter is going into the 1st gear gate, and fooling me into thinking that it's all the way in and fully engaged, when in reality it apparently isn't.

You aren't pushing the shifter linkage as far as you need to in order for the transmission to engage in a given gear.

Boom. Shift all the way into each gear and your problem will go away.

Teddy O said:
is there something wrong with the car (clutch hanging / shift linkage), or do I need to just practice because this car is very different from my other Stangs?

I was going to suggest practicing whether the car is running or not. Try closing your eyes and start shifting. Imagine the revs climbing and/or descending. Upshift and downshift. Then try to call out what gear you are in and take a look to verify that you are in the gear you think you are. As silly as it sounds, becoming "one" with your shifter/clutch will go a long way towards correcting your problem. And do not be afraid to shift quickly with much force while being as precise as you can. The external linkage, while not everyone's favorite, is extremely robust.

Teddy O

Established Member
If it's happened a dozen times you can duplicate it so take it in to the dealer. No reason to be sweating this... use that warrantyand let them worry about it.

I cringe at the thought of bringing it to the dealer, but you're right, the warranty is there so I don't have to sweat problems with the car.

You aren't pushing the shifter linkage as far as you need to in order for the transmission to engage in a given gear.

Boom. Shift all the way into each gear and your problem will go away.

I was going to suggest practicing whether the car is running or not. Try closing your eyes and start shifting. Imagine the revs climbing and/or descending. Upshift and downshift. Then try to call out what gear you are in and take a look to verify that you are in the gear you think you are. As silly as it sounds, becoming "one" with your shifter/clutch will go a long way towards correcting your problem. And do not be afraid to shift quickly with much force while being as precise as you can. The external linkage, while not everyone's favorite, is extremely robust.

I think you're correct, and the problem is in fact me not fully engaging 1st. I can't understand why this car is tripping me up so bad though, it's embarrassing.

Practicing with the car off and becoming "one" with the shifter doesn't sound silly to me at all. I need to get a better feel for when the gears are fully engaged. I believe force to be an issue too, I think I'm subconsciously gentler with this car than my past Stangs because it's new and I like it too much.

I'm going to put some more miles on, and spend some more time with the car and see if I can resolve my issue. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Users who are viewing this thread