Is it ok to change your own plugs?

Randos03cobra

I love lamp
Established Member
I just got my NGK TR6 plugs and was wondering if it was alright to just go ahead and do it myself? Some info back on this would be helpful.

kencobra

Face Down In Cabo
Established Member
I think it depends on whether youve done it before and on how much boost youre running. (Have to know where to gap them)

Established Member
If you know what your doing takes about 45 mins to do. Pretty easy except the passenger side rear is a little pain in the a$$. Just take your time and you should be fine.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Yes a deep socket with a lock style extension so the socket doesnt release in the bore...Bought the extension and "smaller diameter" plug socket from Sears...The plug socket that came in my tool kit was too large in diameter and caused interference problems...

-pete:coolman:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Be careful when you start threading the new plugs in. If you use a socket and ratchet, you might cross-thread the plugs and not realize it...then you'll be in serious trouble. These heads only have 4 threads in each plug hole, so it doesn't take much to screw them up!

Someone suggested attaching a short length of hose to each plug and seat them into the holes by hand using the hose. That way you are much less likely to screw up the threads. I haven't tried this trick yet but it sounds like a good idea.

-Greg

03phil

Established Member
Changing the plugs on these cars is a breeze. Try changing the plugs on a ls1 now that sucks

hmwave

Established Member
Blow out the tunnel with air before removing the plugs.

Gap plugs.
Apply a light coating of anti-seize on the threads (I paint it on with a brush). Use dielectric grease on the insulator part of the plug and at the bottom of the boot.
Screw the plugs in with hand pressure only to make sure you don't cross thread them. I insert them to the seat, turn one turn anti-clockwise, then slowly clockwise, no pressure, let them take the thread themselves.

Torque to 11lbs ft (check this, that's from memory and I may be wrong).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
Be careful when you start threading the new plugs in. If you use a socket and ratchet, you might cross-thread the plugs and not realize it...then you'll be in serious trouble. These heads only have 4 threads in each plug hole, so it doesn't take much to screw them up!

Someone suggested attaching a short length of hose to each plug and seat them into the holes by hand using the hose. That way you are much less likely to screw up the threads. I haven't tried this trick yet but it sounds like a good idea.

-Greg
I was just going to say the very same thing. Be really careful threading the new ones. We've heard many reports of exploding plugs probably due to weakened threads. Other than that, it is a piece of cake. I used to take me maybe 20-25 minutes tops to do them all.

Users who are viewing this thread