Is Motorcraft 5w50 the best choice?

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
Do all of you use the Motorcraft 5w50 or do you have other recommendations? Would you use the same oil at the stock level as compared to someone putting down 700whp? Did a little search on here but most of my results related to the 5.4l and I didn't know if the 5.8l would be different. I have had my Shelby for about 3 weeks now and my oil life says 75%, but I don't know who changed it last or what they used so I'd like to change mine out to be safe.

Ablaze

Established Member
There is nothing wrong with using the stock oil. Rest is going to come down to preference (longevity, convenience, etc). That said, I run Amsoil.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Motorcraft factory fill. 61,000 miles. 800 rwhp. Lots of track and dyno time. e85. All 8 still within 10 pct after 9 yrs.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I run Motorcraft 5w50 and still have enough oil for 1 more change. After my next oil change, I will be going with Mobil 1 5w50 just because Motorcraft is not available locally and NAPA frequently has sales on Mobil 1.

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Joe Gibbs 5w50 racing oil. Tried Amsoil and went back to Joe Gibbs. It runs cooler when pushed hard, had Amsoil run into yellow before and that never happens with Gibbs under the same stress. That's my experience. Good luck.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Motorcraft is fine...other great choices are 10w40 RP XPR and Amsoil 10w30 signature series

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Has anyone else here seen the 540Rat blog? It's by an engineer evaluating oils for use in flat-tappet engines (which we don't have, so it's not really relevant) but for sake of interest, Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Motorcraft all score well in his testing.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I change my oil too often to put much thought in it. If you change oil less often, definitely go with Amsoil 5w-50. If you change your oil every 1500-2500 miles, Motorcraft is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread