is the April 27 motortrend article correct @ six-piston Brembos front AND rear?

reason4treason

Established Member

To be honest, the 2013 GT500 is one of the most powerful production cars in the world, full stop. Take a look at the world of production hypercars and you’ll find only five that make more power than the GT500: the Pagani Huayra, Lamborghini Aventador, Bugatti Veyron, SSC Ultimate Aero, and the Koenigsegg Agera. For reference, the least expensive of those five cars is the Aventador, which starts at about $394,000. The GT500, meanwhile, will run you about $55,000.

Ford does say that the 2013 Shelby GT500 is at least a little bit responsible: it’s also been rated at 15 mpg city, 24 mpg highway. That’s a full five mpg more than the GT500′s closest competitor, the 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

The company also assures us that the new car has improved aerodynamics to keep the car planted, even at ludicrous speeds. Ford says that the revised front fascia and splitter provides 33 percent more downforce, and the car also has six-piston Brembo brakes at all four corners to quickly bring the party to a stop.

Read more: 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Will Make 662 Horsepower, Start at ,995 - WOT on Motor Trend

this is from the April 27th motortrend article. so is the piston-per Brembo now verified at six for front and back?

(hope i didn't miss this info in another thread)

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
thats definitely a typo...6 piston up front yea, out back? nope...more likely 2 or 1 like the current one

NY Eleanor

Established Member
It reads like one of those marketing promo pieces. Hopefully soon somebody does a real, live and unbiased story on the production behicle...

91svtbird

Established Member
Read more: 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Will Make 662 Horsepower, Start at ,995 - WOT on Motor Trend

Did you guys read the "comments section" LOL The Camaro KoolAid drinkers are out in force over there big time. A lot of Mustang hate (and envy I might add) It's actually kind of sad.

RockKickAs77
Posted on: April 28, 2012 8:24 pmReply
Why do we have to keep making such cheap cars? Still the live rear axle. And how does ford expect to have great 0-60 times when the 2012 GT500 cant even hook up with 550 HP? The New GT500 does not have specially made tires like the Camaro ZL1. The ZL1will handle better because of the Independent rear suspension and the 5 performance traction management modes that work together with Magnetic Ride control. Does the GT500 have any of that? No. Ford, you are simply saying “We have the most horsepower.”

bighorse
Posted on: April 28, 2012 11:02 amReply
heavy front end , skinny rear tires, nothing more than a car to do burn outs in. that’s it.

...and this one is funny SVT = special ed ...where's the 'e'? LOL
Mr. Camaro & Vette
Posted on: April 27, 2012 10:17 pmReply
Ford- Faggots On Race Day
SVT- Special Ed Vehicle Team

It took these guys years to FINALLY make a 600hp car from the factory^^^^ the Corvette ZR-1 has been out since 2009 and the sad thing is the Corvette ZR-1

ExoticSuperCarFan
Posted on: April 27, 2012 12:10 pmReply
This is a gamechanger. Ford has really raised the bar for musclecar performance, while keeping it all at a very reasonable price.
w
Posted on: April 27, 2012 12:50 pmReply
HAHAHA..Reasonable until you buy one. Do you think your going to go to a dealership and walk out without paying 20 to 30000 over sticker. And the other thing, Camaro owners drive there cars, Shelby owners garage there cars and that’s the difference, Camaro is a drivers car Shelby is a collector car.

I liked this quote from the MT article kinda put things in perspective.
To be honest, the 2013 GT500 is one of the most powerful production cars in the world, full stop. Take a look at the world of production hypercars and you’ll find only five that make more power than the GT500: the Pagani Huayra, Lamborghini Aventador, Bugatti Veyron, SSC Ultimate Aero, and the Koenigsegg Agera. For reference, the least expensive of those five cars is the Aventador, which starts at about $394,000. The GT500, meanwhile, will run you about $55,000.

...........and summed up by this quote

With the existence of a 662-horse Ford, will there still be a reason to buy cars like the Ferrari 599? Of course there will be. As it happens, however, simple horsepower figures aren’t one of them.

Last edited:

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
The comments on that article are absolutely hilarious. All those GM fanboys are running their mouths like a bully who's about to get his ass kicked.

I can't wait to see the excuses they come up with when comparison results come out.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
The Ford needs to beat the ZL1 on a road course in the hands of an independent tester, if for no other reason than the power of concentrated butthurt at Camaro5 will be enough to provide an alternative energy source to run the US electric grid for 6 months.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I was over at Camaro5. I actually feel bad for some of those guys.

I mean face it, some of us are "MFG agnostic" , but most of us are GM, or Ford, Or Mopar guys, and we don't change allegiances.

A friend of mine has a Z06, and it is a great , I mean unbelievable car, but for whatever reason, I'd never buy a Vette.

I'm sure a lot of the ZL1 guys are the same way, GM gave them the holy grail of Camaros, far and above any Camaro ever made, one that could actually compete with a GT500...

That lasted all of about 6 months, all the anticipation building until they'd get the God of Camaros, and then, before it even came out, it has been trumped in every, and I mean every way by the 2013 GT500.

Deep down they have to know that the new GT500 that weighs hundreds of lbs less, and with 100 rwhp more will be competitive on any road course, and be close enough that the difference is irrelevant. It will probably outright beat it, on any decent length track.

And they know the ZL1 will get annihilated on the street or drag strip. So what are they to do? They are still Camaro guys. Guys that are about 60K lighter in the wallet, with a car that has been destroyed by the GT500.

I saw a few threads with pictures. Car guys, proud with their new cars. They look like nice guys, like I said, I feel bad for them.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
There is always something faster and more powerful. The Camaro guys are getting a helluva car. Yes the GT500 will beat it on the street and 1/4 mile. But I'm waiting on the track test, the Camaro is a complete phenomena on the track. I love my 2011 even with the stick axle, I just wonder how much further that setup can compete.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I was over at Camaro5. I actually feel bad for some of those guys.

I mean face it, some of us are "MFG agnostic" , but most of us are GM, or Ford, Or Mopar guys, and we don't change allegiances.

A friend of mine has a Z06, and it is a great , I mean unbelievable car, but for whatever reason, I'd never buy a Vette.

I'm sure a lot of the ZL1 guys are the same way, GM gave them the holy grail of Camaros, far and above any Camaro ever made, one that could actually compete with a GT500...

That lasted all of about 6 months, all the anticipation building until they'd get the God of Camaros, and then, before it even came out, it has been trumped in every, and I mean every way by the 2013 GT500.

Deep down they have to know that the new GT500 that weighs hundreds of lbs less, and with 100 rwhp more will be competitive on any road course, and be close enough that the difference is irrelevant. It will probably outright beat it, on any decent length track.

And they know the ZL1 will get annihilated on the street or drag strip. So what are they to do? They are still Camaro guys. Guys that are about 60K lighter in the wallet, with a car that has been destroyed by the GT500.

I saw a few threads with pictures. Car guys, proud with their new cars. They look like nice guys, like I said, I feel bad for them.

Oh im all for being proud of your car of your choice, thats a great feeling! but many of them spent months talking about how awesome the car will be at the track and what not....guess what?? no one is really using their car...its sad really

they even said ill never spend 60K like the shelby owners do, how much is that new car again? :nonono:

there are a few reall cool car guys over there, like here....but so many misinformed hypocritical people. Sad really

Users who are viewing this thread