Is the comp cam spring issue gone?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Back in 2010-11-12 there was several broken behive comp can springs that took the life of several built cobra motors. I’m interested in purchasing a built cobra but the valve springs are comp cam. Built roughly in 2015. Is it toss of the coin with comp cam springs?

terminator1

Established Member
Yup! In my opinion they are... rebuilt my motor in 2015 with stage 2 comp cams and behive springs. A year later later with only 2,500 miles on the motor my intake valve spring broke while cruising on the freeway! Luckily my retianer and lock stayed in place and no major damage was done to my motor! I wouldn't take a chance. Just my opinion! Good luck...

01Jes

Established Member
Yup! In my opinion they are... rebuilt my motor in 2015 with stage 2 comp cams and behive springs. A year later later with only 2,500 miles on the motor my intake valve spring broke while cruising on the freeway! Luckily my retianer and lock stayed in place and no major damage was done to my motor! I wouldn't take a chance. Just my opinion! Good luck...
Very glad your motor survived not many with that luck. Thank for chimming in

SlowSVT

Established Member

One would think they would have resolved this years go and save themselves the bad rap. My understanding is they spec'd their springs from a supplier against the mfg's recommendations which ended up causing problems (an aggressive cam will only aggravate the situation). Don't know what kind of seat pressure they were running.

PAC and Associated are the 2 major suppliers to the OEM's and are very reliable. I have the PAC 1223's which have 95 lbs. of seat pressure vs. 62 stock. If you start running triple digit springs things may get a little dicier.

Knowing there are comp springs in an engine and what the results would be if one failed it's likely I would factor in replacing them. It's worth not having to think about it every time your running the engine ........ then again, swapping out 32 valve springs on an assembled engine is not a very appealing thought.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Just recently a local guy had one break and ruined a cylinder. Could’ve just been a freak accident but he was running comp springs. It was a fresh build under 6 months old

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SlowSVT

Established Member
The motor was built in 2015 but the springs could have been sitting on a shelf for years before that it's a crapshoot. Manley, Tooley or PAC.

I think Tooley's are actually Associated springs. Not sure about Manley but something tells me they don't make springs either. Valve springs are not something a company with a coil wider wants to venture there is a lot of science behind them. Just ask Comp

01Jes

Established Member
Glad I didn’t buy the cobra. After few phone calls and messages. Manley uses Associated. PAC called me back and told me they use a spring manufacturer named Champion.

Users who are viewing this thread