Is the gt350 worth it?

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I have driven the GT350 very briefly, two laps go fast, and then drove the Boss from Road America north and around Lake Michigan to get back home. On the winding roads coming south along Lake Michigan's east coast, my mind was made up. I will be ordering a GT350.

Another reason I'm afraid to ever get the chance to drive one of these.

I haven't read anyones perspective coming across as negative, or even remotely unimpressed.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I want to read/hear an opinion from a Porsche owner who has driven one.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I want to read/hear an opinion from a Porsche owner who has driven one.

Its a mustang.. what more do you want? your question might want to be towards the regular mustang 15-16 gt difference since they are very similar other then shocks/springs/wheels and motor (frame and geometry are all the same as is the interior / build quality). Have you driven new Porsche or at least the last 5 years Porsche's? The fit and finished difference between the two let alone the over all engineering (got to love the Germany's) imo is enough to warrant noticing though there is a price to pay to be in the seat of the higher end Porsche's ;-)

Good comment above that said if the car speaks to you, most people want what others don't or cant have sadly im on that side of the fence. GT350 is a nice modded Ford Mustang track car, they did a great job. The tires alone on the R is what makes a huge difference on the track.

Regarding say a GT3 if that's what you are comparing to, your looking at 150-160k for one, the GT3 R3 well that's double lol. Mind you the GT3 are not the smoothest drivers and the PDK kicks like a mule its basically a race car in street trim.

Once Chris Harris does a full review on the Gt350 it will be entertaining for the masses, sadly he gets excited over everything he can drift and that has a stick lol so my belief will be he will greatly love the GT350 as he did the other recent American track car (Z28) He one with the Z28 and an older GT3 Rs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjj7fBkcQCE

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... your question might want to be towards the regular mustang 15-16 gt difference since they are very similar other then shocks/springs/wheels and motor (frame and geometry are all the same as is the interior / build quality). Have you driven new Porsche or at least the last 5 years Porsche's? The fit and finished difference between the two let alone the over all engineering (got to love the Germany's) imo is enough to warrant noticing though there is a price to pay to be in the seat of the higher end Porsche's ...[/url]

I'm not concerned about fit and finish. I'm wondering about driving dynamics compared to a Porsche. Asking a '15/'16 GT owner would be pointless because it doesn't take much to improve upon a GT. I want to know how its driving characteristics stand up against what is arguably the best driving car in the world. (Obviously not including hyper cars.) Driving-wise, I imagine a standard GT350 will be right there with an M4. I want to know how the GT350R stacks up, and I'd rather not hear it from Mustang fans because they're obviously going to be biased more often than not.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
I'm not concerned about fit and finish. I'm wondering about driving dynamics compared to a Porsche. Asking a '15/'16 GT owner would be pointless because it doesn't take much to improve upon a GT. I want to know how its driving characteristics stand up against what is arguably the best driving car in the world. (Obviously not including hyper cars.) Driving-wise, I imagine a standard GT350 will be right there with an M4. I want to know how the GT350R stacks up, and I'd rather not hear if from Mustang fans because they're obviously going to be biased more often than not.

I've been daily driving a Porsche 911 Carrera S (997) for over 6 years and can tell you already that this Shelby will slaughter a 997 and even a 991 Carrera PDK. (I use to outhandle the 991 PDK/Boxsters etc. in my Boss 302 Laguna Seca on the race track). Will be happy to compare for you. None of these cars can really replace the other, they're all very unique both the Shelby and the Porsches. I like having both in the garage.

The fact that the Shelby pulled faster lap times than the new Porsche GT4 in itself is incredible.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
I take delivery of a GT350 Track Edition this week. It will be at least a month or 2 before I get on the racetrack, but I can at least give you a preliminary report on it's street characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread