Is the KB ready for daily driver use?

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Now that the KB blower has been out for nearly six months (maybe more?) what is everyone's opinion on the reliability of the unit, for moderate boost levels?

Are these blowers ready for daily driver use?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I don't see why not, if you don't want to use too much boost you can make more power with less boost then the eaton, which is easier on the motor. Getting a good tune seems to be the problem, and the whole blower 'oil' issue.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I drive mine on a daily basis. It's been on for over a month now. No issues here, except for that little "DEVIL RACER" that sits on my shoulder whispering to me to anililate every friggin car on the road......Other than that, works great as a daily driver........

umustdv8

Established Member
I do have a big problem with mine. I get a lot of white smoke coming from under my rear tires. It seems to happen when my boost guage sees boost :)

God, this car is fun to drive!!!

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
...except for that little "DEVIL RACER" that sits on my shoulder whispering to me to anililate every friggin car on the road.....

:lol:

I got one of those with my car, too!

2kbill

Established Member
I aim to find out, my install was finished last evening. I was encouraged on the way home that drivability had not suffered at all. Traction is much more of an issue, though :rolling:

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
No issues here, except for that little "DEVIL RACER" that sits on my shoulder whispering to me to anililate every friggin car on the road

That seems to be a Std. Option on these Cobras! Not to mention the Steel shoe, that somehow keeps the pedal to the floor.:nono:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I drive mine on a daily basis. It's been on for over a month now. No issues here, except for that little "DEVIL RACER" that sits on my shoulder whispering to me to anililate every friggin car on the road......Other than that, works great as a daily driver........
haha, "devil racer", I like that!! Had an 200x camaro jump behind me the other night on the way home, he got on my ass and just stayed their. It was a 45mph road so I waited a bit to see if he would back off and he didnt, so I dropped it into second and cracked the throttle and gave him a little sandblasting as I tore the tires lose and sent the back end of the car sideways. eased of pedel, switched lanes and he didnt even attempt so catch up.

My KB is runingstrong and has been all summer. I dont drive it everyday(no rain for my garage queen). But did make a 1500 mile trip in two days and car didnt miss a beat.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by JR_Cobra
:lol:

I got one of those with my car, too!

Yeah, but mines a WUSS, cause everytime my wife gets in the car he seems to run off and hide......:)

MJ32V

Established Member
With the right tune, driveability is the same as stock.

MJ

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
The blower is proven. The question is are the other mods required for that HP level reliable, proven, and capable of maintaining factory like idle/driveability/reliability.

Until people really beat on their KB cars at the track and during hot weather and/or with lots of traction you risk becoming a guinea pig for vendors of some of the other products required at that power level. Things that truly remain to be figured out are items such as:
- proper fuel system/Mass Air meter
- clutch
- input shaft
- halfshafts
- Radiators etc

HTH

Jerry

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
The blower is proven. The question is are the other mods required for that HP level reliable, proven, and capable of maintaining factory like idle/driveability/reliability.

Until people really beat on their KB cars at the track and during hot weather and/or with lots of traction you risk becoming a guinea pig for vendors of some of the other products required at that power level. Things that truly remain to be figured out are items such as:
- proper fuel system/Mass Air meter
- clutch
- input shaft
- halfshafts
- Radiators etc

HTH

Jerry
Mine went through a South Texas summer, does that count? I've put about 4K on the blower. It's made few trips to the track and driven daily in harsh conditions. My driving habits aren't exactly gentle.
I have a Spec II clutch and DSS halfshafts. Radiator/intercooler/heat exchanger all stock. The only thing I don't have is traction.
I'm running less boost and getting better gas mileage than I ever did with the Eaton.
With a correct install/tune and moderate boost levels a KB'd car will hold up just fine IMO.

bfoley

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
do have a big problem with mine. I get a lot of white smoke coming from under my rear tires. It seems to happen when my boost guage sees boost

God, this car is fun to drive!!!

no doubt:kaboom:

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Swervedriver
Who has the best prices on kenne bell chargers?
KB does a pretty good job of trying to make sure thier vondors dont undercut each other so all of the prices you see will likely be pretty close.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Johnny Lightning performance was somewhere between $3350 and $3450 at the NMRA event in Bowling Green.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread