Is the steering "creek" dangerous or just annoying?

Romans8:28

Established Member
Just like the title asks....

My 04 recented started creaking when I turn the wheel hard right when stopped or moing slowly (forward or backward). I am trying to understand the cause and if it presents any sort of danger when driving or greater damage to the car until it is fixed.

Thanks in advance for any info....

I did a search but did not see anything recent on the cause, especially the "danger" element.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i highly doubt if it is a dangerous condition, never heard anything to that effect

but it sure is annoying!

i just had mine fixed last month before my warranty ran out and it really makes the car more enjoyable to drive around at low speeds.

my dealership did a nice job on it

Romans8:28

Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
i highly doubt if it is a dangerous condition, never heard anything to that effect

but it sure is annoying!

i just had mine fixed last month before my warranty ran out and it really makes the car more enjoyable to drive around at low speeds.

my dealership did a nice job on it

Thanks for the reply...

Do you know/remember what was wrong and or done to fix it?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
Thanks for the reply...

Do you know/remember what was wrong and or done to fix it?

there is a tsb for it (sorry don't know the #) and my service advisor said it is common on 04 mustangs. he used to be a steering/front end tech. the tsb replaced the steering gear tubes. it is basically i think that they rub against the metal of the k-member but not sure. they replace the tubes and lubricate the bushings.

others on this board have said that it still squeeked after they had the tsb done, but i was lucky

do a search on this board for the tsb #

TTA89

Established Member
Call Maximum Motorsports and order the Aluminum rack bushings. It fixes the noise and adds some nice feel to the steering.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I just had mine done a month ago. They will put new aluminum sleeves in your rack and pinion. It's covered under warranty and your squeak will be gone. Only takes them about 1/2 hour.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
I can't even remember when mine started its been that long, I just live with it. I didn't know a tsb was out for it tho. If anyone could post up a # that would be great thx.

OmahaStang

Established Member
I noticed this when pulling out of my garage and hitting the slope at an angle. I've taken it in and it appears to have pretty much eleviated the problem but I still notice some noise.
I'll make another post as to what was done to the front end. The car was in for a full day for they had to order some parts. Remember to call ahead and see if they'll give you a 'loaner' car since it was an SVT.

Brian97vobra

Established Member
I just got my car back today from the dealership for that same reason. Although they told me that they replaced the entire power steering rack? And it doesn't say anything about a TSB about it on the receipt. Unlike the other things that they fixed for me that did have a TSB for them. :shrug:

RedfireSVT

Established Member
Had mine fixed under warranty. TSB is for the bushings I believe. Man it was annoying, no problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread