Is The Svt Cobra A Shelby Or The Shelby A Svt Cobra

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
it dosn't matter what the name is, if it's a SVT Cobra a SVT Shelby a SVT GT500 or Shelby GT500.. I'm not going to buy one, I don't really like the looks of the S197 Mustang, I don't like how large they made the cars and I really REALLY don't like that they put a stick axle under it's Accord ass end (yes the ass of the S197 looks like an Accord from the side)

I've owned 2 SVT products that I bought brand new and I won't be buying the GT500, it just dosn't do anything for me.. maybe if SVT was marketing it (they can't, SVT is long gone) and it was a Cobra with a properly designed IRS I would consider it.

stang22

Established Member
jtfx6552 said:
"Contained nothing of importance to add to the discussion! "

Hmm, interestinmg. fortunately I was able to read the deleted comment in my e-mail.

I happen to agree 100% with what was said.

It wasn't unwarranted crtitism of the car, and I don't undestand why it was deleted.

I have spent a lot of time around 65-66 track used GT350's and I can tell you "real" shelby's are light.
Thank you brother! I appreciate that! I should know, I own one and raced one for years. I guess some don't agree...(power).:rollseyes But I know what he's getting at,I guess I like the old school stang looks(thats why I like the new one),and it was just imo. Time to move on.

Last edited:

dpotter

Established Member
The GT500 is a "Shelby" in name only. To buy this vehicle as a Shelby collectible would be an expensive mistake. Buy it to drive and enjoy as it appears to be a very good example of what SVT delivered as their last effort.

I am in the camp of being completely pissed off (or on) by the ADM's the dealers are tacking onto the GT500. As stated in previous posts I guess my 25 years of loyalty to the brand is a wash. I've owned 7 mustangs, 2 of which were SVT's. I still have a 92 SE vert. If I buy another stang it will probably be the ShelbyGT, not the GT500, and that's dependent on the dealer's actions when the real Shelby is available. All that said, if the cars were priced exactly the same I'd be driving a GT500.

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
No Matter What

No matter who built it or what it is called, I think it is one of the best cars I have ever purchased. I really enjoy the way it drives, the way it looks and is put together. I love my 03 Cobra for what it is and it is a blast to drive. Sure I could mod it, but it would not be the same beast as the GT500. To me, no matter what Ford says MSRP is, it is worth the 60k I paid. In respect to other vehicles I could spend 60k or more on, the GT500 is worth every penny to me.

It is funny to me how everyone seems to overlook the faults of the 03-04 Cobra (DS Cylinder head, engine cooling, IRS, Tranny/clutch) not to mention it was built off a platform that dates back to 1978. Don't take me wrong, I love my 03 and that is why I am keeping it, but the GT500 is a better built car IMO and I would take it all day long on a roadcourse over the 03-04 Cobra.

Just my 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread