• It would be too expensive to Consider

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • You crazy Canadian SVT's tried 4 doors before and failed

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
Why not put the new 5.0 in the Fusion.If you want to get more power go with the new 5.0.
Can it be done and price it at 38K.
then add a paddle shifter to it with the automatic,& offer a 6 speed for the gear shifters.
Just wishing.

FPV...Australia...Boss 335...they get all the good stuff...:rollseyes

www.autoblog.com/2011/04/09/video-ford-fpv-boss-335-gt-makes-us-wish-we-were-australian

www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1104_2011_ford_falcon_fpv_boss_335_gt_drive/specs.html

Last edited:

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
I think the problem is that the fusion is so small (low curb weight and power) the driveline would take too much tear up and redesign. They'll probably opt for a turbo 4 at most. After all, just like Porsche does not want the Cayman to be released as a faster car than the 911, I doubt ford would release a faster Fusion, vs. Mustang.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I think you'll see a 2.0 EcoBoost Fusion in 2010.

Your 3 years early, but I am hoping to be one of the first orders this summer :beer:

I'm still trying to figure out if I want the AWD though.. A part of me does, especially since I live in Montana, but the part of me that drives 16,000 miles+ a year doesn't due to the added initial cost, complexity, and drop of 2-3 mpg in gas mileage..

I think I'll take $1500 saved from not buying the AWD and buy a nice set of wheels for the summer and some blizzaks.

4vmn12

Established Member
Your 3 years early, but I am hoping to be one of the first orders this summer :beer:

I'm still trying to figure out if I want the AWD though.. A part of me does, especially since I live in Montana, but the part of me that drives 16,000 miles+ a year doesn't due to the added initial cost, complexity, and drop of 2-3 mpg in gas mileage..

I think I'll take $1500 saved from not buying the AWD and buy a nice set of wheels for the summer and some blizzaks.

I liked the looks of the new fusion I saw at the Detroit auto show this month. I think it will draw more enthusiasts (with families) in addition to the existing fusion fans/customers.
Bottom line, they need to have a high performance model, put a direct injection turbocharged engine in a fusion rate it at 320 hp (more is welcome) (but underrate it so the advertised value should be wheel hp!).

Keep in mind a lighter Dodge Dart may be faster. with a 2.4 turbo motor (similar to the old SRT4) may still be faster depending on curb weight, drivetrain configuration (AWD vs. FWD, and FWD with limited slip torsen or one wheel peal,and torque steer from hell).

I think the AWD will an easier way to enhance traction, avoid wheel hop, and torque steer. Having FWD only may require Re-design of the front suspension to mitigate those items; and this may require too much unique sourcing issues. I really do hope they can use a limited slip either way though, torsen or similar. Lastly, with AWD they can have a pretty nice torque vectoring ESC system for those nasty whether days(similar to ford escape), this can also enhance dynamics at the limit on dry surfaces, a track mode would be a huge bonus. (as well as an off button)

I just can't believe their isn't already a vehicle out there yet!!! atleast the Focus ST (yet to be released) seems to be already a step in the right direction and I hope it will be a good contender vs. the dodge dart as well.

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I too liked the new 2013 Fusion. The main problem I have with it is the lack of a V6. I drive a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 with 140+k miles. I'm kinda over the turbo 4 thing. I bought the MS6 because I wanted good mileage in a stylish and powerful car, but I'd prefer something more refined if possible.

At one extreme, I like the new style Focus because the 37-40 mpg would be spectacular with all of the driving I do. However, the 160 horsepower is a big letdown. The compact size also makes me pause.

At the other extreme, I've also considered the SHO, but the car is too heavy, with poor mileage and has an interior (where the extra size would be appreciated) that is disproportionally small compared to the titanic exterior.

Along comes the new Fusion. It's stylish, has much better fuel economy than my MS6, and certainly can't have less rear leg/footroom than an SHO (although Ford wouldn't let us sit in one in Detroit:fm:). No power numbers have been released for the top-of-the-line 2.0 ecoboost, but that engine makes 240 hp in the Explorer and Edge. :sleeping: My MS6 makes 270. Current fusion competitors from T,H, and K also make 265-275. Come on Ford. We're not all tree huggers.

Is it too much to ask to want a car at least as good or better in all catagories than the one I am replacing? If the only option is to give up something AND increase my depreciation expense at the same time, I'd rather just stick with my MS6.

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Still daily driving the Mazdaspeed6 waiting on Ford to pony up their mid size sedan... Is the 2.3 EB coming at least?!? C'mon! At 180k miles, I won't be able to hold out much longer.

SVT Fusion? Fusion ST? Fusion Sport? Anything?

4vmn12

Established Member
personally drove a brand new fusion rental, and having a 318ti 1996 beater I felt very disconnected from the road, I guess I just don't like FWD. Didn't really like the feel of driving it, the driving dynamics. Cushy suspension, and torque steer takes some getting used to. Maybe a sport model would have a more pleasing driving experience, with some more aggressive tuning of throttle, transmission, and suspension interaction (and a better differential). I'd give it another shot if a turbo model came out for sure.... but without anything on the outlook.... At this point I may just consider a "used" 335i or xi with twin turbo inline 6, probably the same price as a new fusion fwd. Buy an extended warranty to cover the fuel pump problem problem those direct injected cars have, and be done with it. I wish there was a u.s. alternative that came remotely close. without going to the larger and more expensive SHO, or gas guzzling hemi charger.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
personally drove a brand new fusion rental, and having a 318ti 1996 beater I felt very disconnected from the road, I guess I just don't like FWD. Didn't really like the feel of driving it, the driving dynamics. Cushy suspension, and torque steer takes some getting used to. Maybe a sport model would have a more pleasing driving experience, with some more aggressive tuning of throttle, transmission, and suspension interaction (and a better differential). I'd give it another shot if a turbo model came out for sure.... but without anything on the outlook.... At this point I may just consider a "used" 335i or xi with twin turbo inline 6, probably the same price as a new fusion fwd. Buy an extended warranty to cover the fuel pump problem problem those direct injected cars have, and be done with it. I wish there was a u.s. alternative that came remotely close. without going to the larger and more expensive SHO, or gas guzzling hemi charger.

I would just buy a used 2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0/AWD for around 26K, do a tune/CAI/Catback with a slight drop and call it done. Trying to decide if I am going to dump my Explorer this summer and if so, that might be what I buy.

4vmn12

Established Member
I would just buy a used 2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0/AWD for around 26K, do a tune/CAI/Catback with a slight drop and call it done. Trying to decide if I am going to dump my Explorer this summer and if so, that might be what I buy.

not a bad idea..... the '15 mustang has me thinking, I wish the fusion had that chassis/powertrain under it... maybe that would become a different car model name though....... rwd with IRS, light weight, turbo four with 250hp+, I'm hoping around 3200 lbs but not sure yet... , would make for a fun DD :)

germeezy1

Established Member
No because of a few reasons.

It would be a class below the SHO, and a size class below the SHO for the same price.

It would still be a FWD based AWD car, and with the current loaded Fusion 2.0T at almost $40k I doubt the extra hardware would result in a $45k price.

It would weigh more than the Chevrolet SS, and slightly less than the Charger SRT8 both which offer considerably more power than the current EB 3.5 V6.

But Ford would have no vested interest for such a car because if anything it needs to be a MKZ Red Label to justify its price , and not an SVT Fusion.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Oh hell yeah! Girlfriend just got a 2014 Ecoboost Fusion with the 2.2L. At least I think that's it. It's the bigger of the Ecoboost choices for the Fusion. I like the car a lot. It's super comfortable with the luxury factor as well. It's the platinum version I think. I really like it. It'd be even better with that 3.5L and recaros.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Oh hell yeah! Girlfriend just got a 2014 Ecoboost Fusion with the 2.2L. At least I think that's it. It's the bigger of the Ecoboost choices for the Fusion. I like the car a lot. It's super comfortable with the luxury factor as well. It's the platinum version I think. I really like it. It'd be even better with that 3.5L and recaros.

Sounds like she has the Titanium with the 2.0 Ecoboost.

I wouldn't' be surprised it Ford decided to build a "Sport" version using the new 2.3 Ecoboost that will be available in the MKC and 2015 Mustang. Even if they don't create a Sport version, it's very possible to see that motor as an option.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member

I wouldn't' be surprised it Ford decided to build a "Sport" version using the new 2.3 Ecoboost that will be available in the MKC and 2015 Mustang. Even if they don't create a Sport version, it's very possible to see that motor as an option.

Yeah that's it. Titanium, 2.0. Thanks. Couldn't remember last night. Haha

germeezy1

Established Member

I believe that it should be the top level option, and it will at least compare better to the competition.

americansteel

Banned
Is there a market for an Ecoboost SVT Fusion

NO there isn't but you make the market exist by offering the product. just like the raptor was there a market for that type of vehicle? NO! but ford made the market exist.
first gen fusion was better looking btw :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread