Is this a good deal for a fully modded car?

Apaolo

Established Member
Hi guys, this is my first post and Im looking into buying a used 03 Cobra. The car has 42k miles on it and only one owner. The guy was 35 and a cop and he traded in the cobra for a STi because he has a baby on the way.

Anyways the dealer wants 23,900 for it and the exterior/interior look in good shape. The car has been modded, for example, its had a pulley, exhaust, clutch/flywheel, suspension work, a tune etc. The car currently dynos at 461hp with 460tq, he has all the dyno graphs with his list of mods, authentic certificate and owners manaul all part of the deal.

So what do you guys think? Would this be a good car to jump into or would it be more fun/beneficial to get an untouched Cobra with lower miles? Thanks!

voodooterminato

Back in Black!
Established Member
Sounds good. I would run a carfax on the vin # and personally take to the previous owner first. Compression check would also be a good idea. Any dealer work on the car due to recall's should show up on the carfax. Find out what and if any dealer he used for any work or warranty work.

Apaolo

Established Member
How would I get the compressioned check? Can you have the car looked at before you buy it?

Also I know theyre flexible on the whole deal. They only offered me 17k for my new 06 Honda Si but to seal the deal they offered 19k so Im pretty sure I can break them on the 23,900.

voodooterminato

Back in Black!
Established Member
Simply tell them you want a compression check done on the car by their mechanics, or tell them you wish to take it to your personal mechanic. Just keep in mind that you are not playing on their field. They are playing on YOUR field. Your the one willing to cough up the doe for a product they have. They need to prove their product worthy. Dealers love and NEED to make sales. They will go to extreme lengths to make a sale when you push the right buttons.

Apaolo

Established Member
Am I missing out on the fun modding though? Is it an advantage that the car already has a few things on it or should I really get a bone stock one?

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
i don't think dealers are willing to do squat, when your talking about a cobra, why would they bother with the hassle of checking everything out, if something is in fact wrong they will never sell it once rumors get out, and when your dealing with a cobra if you don't jump on it someone else will. why would they bargin on something that is pretty desireable like a cobra if they wait some retard will walk in and pay more than they are asking just to get him aproved on the loan, seen it a million times. by the way that car is nowhere near fully modded no cobra is or any other car for that matter. guess it depends on what you think fully modded is.

Last edited:

Apaolo

Established Member
Well I meant fully modded because I dont really know much about these cars. Ive been reading this forum for about a week and Ive been trying to get a understanding of what power you can get out of Cobras. I originally was going for a corvette but those are too expensive used and too expensive to mod/maintain.

On another note this car has been on their lot for awhile. Its a subaru dealership in the middle of nowhere, if they were willing to give me 2k more for my trade in on the spot I dont see how they wouldnt completely bend to sell the car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Check the car out thoroughly. Read these recommendations. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092330

IMO what is more important than whether the car has mods or not, is how well it was maintained and treated by the previous owner. Even a totally stock Terminator can be mistreaded or poorly maintained. As an example, mine had a good number of mods but was always well maintained and never abused. So the buyer got a good deal. On the other hand, John Smith might have a stock Cobra with slightly lower miles that was poorly maintain (but freshened up to look "nice") and driven hard routinely. Buyer beware if you don't know the previous owner or the car. In that case, again, check it out as thoroughly as you can. Best of luck! Select carefully and examine thoroughly and you'll be a much happier Terminator owner.

Pale Snake

Established Member
Apaolo said:
Hi guys, this is my first post and Im looking into buying a used 03 Cobra. The car has 42k miles on it and only one owner. The guy was 35 and a cop and he traded in the cobra for a STi because he has a baby on the way.

Anyways the dealer wants 23,900 for it and the exterior/interior look in good shape. The car has been modded, for example, its had a pulley, exhaust, clutch/flywheel, suspension work, a tune etc. The car currently dynos at 461hp with 460tq, he has all the dyno graphs with his list of mods, authentic certificate and owners manaul all part of the deal.

So what do you guys think? Would this be a good car to jump into or would it be more fun/beneficial to get an untouched Cobra with lower miles? Thanks!

Umm, I don't have a baby on the way that I know about, but am the original owner and can fill you in on the car's history and maint since 03:beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Pale Snake said:
Umm, I don't have a baby on the way that I know about, but am the original owner and can fill you in on the car's history and maint since 03:beer:
Well....There you go Apaolo!!!!

Apaolo

Established Member
Pale Snake said:

Youre really the owner? Lol what a small world, the salesman told me that the previous owner traded in his cobra and a dodge dakota, I think, for a STi because he needed four doors for his kids. He also said he knew you personally etc etc. If you wouldnt mind, it would be great if I could ask you some questions through an instant messanger or private pm's. The car is a real beuty btw :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread