Is this a good price/crazy idea?

candy3369

Established Member
Hey guys-been looking for an 03/04 Cobra for a while, prices are all over the place! Some people think these cars come factory dipped in gold!

Anyway-found an 04 Torchfire red black top, 70k for $15,500. Car looks great, it is a one owner, driven by a 60yr old lady! Now, let me just say, lady driven means NOTHING because I am a girl and I am totally going to run this car! What else do you buy them for?

Here's the deal. The car is in FL and I am in NC. Guy is paranoid of me driving the car out of state while it is still titled to him. His wife is a physical therapist and he's afraid if I wreck and kill someone, he will be liable and get sued. He also has a lien on the car through Ford, so he can't have more than 5 months left on it bc I ran carfax and I know exactly how long he has owned it. He wants me to pay off the lien so he can print the title and get it notarized over to me before I leave with it. Only catch is I have not seen the car. He has sent me lots of pics and it looks immaculate. I was going to drive down there this past weekend but could not get away and he had no problems with me coming to look at the car. He has a 69 Fastback in his garage and also a BMW M5. He has done things to the motor like putting on chrome valve covers and has all original parts and all documentation on the car. I feel pretty safe doing this, however, I know he could be feeding me a complete line of BS.

So, how many of you guys buy these cars sight unseen? I see some people buy them and get them shipped. I am going to go down there to drive the car back. I think $15,500 for an 04 with 70k, one owner, no wrecks, all original parts and docu is a pretty good deal. If I am only paying off 5 months of a lien, I can't imagine the guy is trying to pull a scam on a car he has owned for close to 7 yrs. However, I am not super interested in driving 10 hrs one way 2 times! But these cars are HARD to find one owner and not wrecked in the price range I want to spend.

Now, my daddy is a Ford mechanic from way back so absolutely anything that is wrong with this car, we can fix. I'm more worried about getting to FL and him not showing up. That's were I think it's probably not going to happen because the guys is only 5 months from payoff on the car. That would be a stupid move.

2drbg3o.jpg
[/IMG]

2882v4j.jpg

x56n0o.jpg

Also, anyone want to guess hp/tq? Guy has never had this car dynoed.

Straight from his listing:

Bassani ceramic coated headers, S.S. Bassani exhaust (X-pipe), SCT program upgrade (100 HP), Steeda cold air intake, Steeda idler pully upgrade, light bar & parts of engine painted to match the car color, also chrome valve covers. It also has a new intercooler (mounted under super charger), new clutch kit, flywheel, & alternator. We also have the convertible top cover and it is excellent condition too. also in our possession are all the original parts including the signed valve covers. Never raced.

cobracide

Established Member
Get the vehicle VIN and put it on your insurance. Print the insurance card online via Progressive or some other fancy insurance company not stuck in the 1960's. Show insurance card to old man. Done.

Option 2: Knock off the old man. Haha j/k. :)

P.S. -> Leakdown test..

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
so your paying 15,500 plus what ever the lien is? The lien could be 5k imo not worth the hassle if lien is a lot of money??? Looks to be a clean car from the pics. My advice is to never buy a car sight unseen . Also before you pay for the car take it to a local repair shop or even ford dealer and pay a couple hundred to have it inspected and compression test. These cars are a lot more advanced than your sad may be used to being a ford mechanic from way back when. I would hate for u to but the car and turns out it has blown head gaskets or something of that nature...it gets expensive real quick.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Hey guys-been looking for an 03/04 Cobra for a while, prices are all over the place! Some people think these cars come factory dipped in gold!

Didn't they???? Mine came dipped in Mystichrome which is almost gold. Especially when people see it for the first time. J/K.

I bought mine sight unseen from a dealer in Spokane WA and had it delivered here. Go to CobraBob's website and check out what to look for when you purchase a used Cobra. I also say get insurance on it before you head home with it. make sure you contact your agent with the Vin number ahead of time and let them get a binder started. That way you will be covered "IF" something would happen. Thats what I did with mine. If you end up not buying the car you could cancel the binder. Good luck. By the looks of it in the pictures it sure looks to be one sharp car.

cbr repsol

Established Member
if the car has never been dynoed i would not be interested in it....from the picture there is no way to fit a snub idler with a stock upper pulley. So its safe to say it has a smaller pulley added to the supercharger for more boost (h.p.) If its not properly tuned you can be in a lot of trouble with the engine ....goes along with my first post.

candy3369

Established Member
$15,500 is total price. Lien plus difference to him.
Trust me, there is nothing about this car my dad cannot fix. He has been a mechanic his whole life, and now teaches it. All the ASE certs. Today I had him at my house fixing my oil furnace! I have been with him when the 40 ft motor home had something go wrong with the motor and he jacked it up in a grocery store parking lot and fixed it with basically no tools. Seriously-it is FANTASTIC having someone who can fix everything, although he gets a little long winded trying to explain to me what he's doing and why, then I usually look at him and ask him does that mean he can't fix it?!

I'm more worried about the guy not showing up to sell it! I just think I may be the one paranoid because really, I can not for the life of me imagine someone doing that on 5 months worth of a lien. Plus the fact he has that 69 fastback and the shape of the car in these pics makes me think he truly has taken care of it.

$15,500 a good price for mods/mileage?

candy3369

Established Member
if the car has never been dynoed i would not be interested in it....from the picture there is no way to fit a snub idler with a stock upper pulley. So its safe to say it has a smaller pulley added to the supercharger for more boost (h.p.) If its not properly tuned you can be in a lot of trouble with the engine ....goes along with my first post.

ok-explain this. Guy says it has a SCT program and quick google search shows that is kinda like I guess a chip you add that you tell it what mods you have and it "tunes" the car based on that? Are those things junk?

And your right, it is Redfire-my mistake.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
Guy is paranoid of me driving the car out of state while it is still titled to him. His wife is a physical therapist and he's afraid if I wreck and kill someone, he will be liable and get sued. He also has a lien on the car through Ford, so he can't have more than 5 months left on it bc I ran carfax and I know exactly how long he has owned it. He wants me to pay off the lien so he can print the title and get it notarized over to me before I leave with it.

once u pay for a car u can transfer the liability out of his name online through a computer before u leave, Im sure they have one. Also if there is a lien he cant just print a title if its not paid off. The bank who its financed through holds the title till its paid off. If its paid for already all he has to do is sign the title over to you...before doing all this find out how much the lien is for? Im not sure if u can legally buy it with a lien. someone else may have to chime in on that. if not i can ask a buddie he has delt with that stuff before. Kind of sounds like a scam to me....honestly there is a lot of good guys here on svtperformance...check our market place. Your be sure to find a nice car here as well.:beer:

cbr repsol

Established Member
ok-explain this. Guy says it has a SCT program and quick google search shows that is kinda like I guess a chip you add that you tell it what mods you have and it "tunes" the car based on that? Are those things junk?

And your right, it is Redfire-my mistake.

sct is good software...it sounds like he might of just bout a programmer with a canned tune. Something someone wrote for all cobras with given mods. Not saying thats a bad thing. I just think on a car like this its really worth it to get it on a dyno and make sure the air - fuel is correct. For all u know the fuel pumps or maf could be maxed out if he ported the blower or something of the sort? its just safer to check.

candy3369

Established Member
I have been checking the marketplace here like crazy! My bro told me to get a stock one with low miles so theres no chance someone had their hands on the motor that didn't know what they were doing!

I also found a black vert, black top, black rims local for $18,000. 48k miles. Comes with :
2.8 Pulley with CAI, prochamber hpipe and flow master exhaust. Otherwise the car is stock. Still have the Borla exhaust that came with the car when I got it along with original tires (about half life left) and rims.

Now WHY someone would pull of the Borla exhaust to put on Flowmaster?! You think that's a better deal?

I really wanted one that had all the mods so I didn't have to mess with it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
These wheels do not look like original equipment stock. They look like chrome 95R wheels.
x56n0o.jpg

candy3369 said:
I think $15,500 for an 04 with 70k, one owner, no wrecks, all original parts and docu is a pretty good deal.

Does all original parts mean he is going to include all of them with the car when you buy it or that car is supposed to have all original parts?

Anyway-found an 04 Torchfire red black top, 70k for $15,500. Car looks great, it is a one owner, driven by a 60yr old lady! Now, let me just say, lady driven means NOTHING because I am a girl and I am totally going to run this car! What else do you buy them for?

Here's the deal. The car is in FL and I am in NC. Guy is paranoid of me driving the car out of state while it is still titled to him. His wife is a physical therapist and he's afraid if I wreck and kill someone, he will be liable and get sued. He also has a lien on the car through Ford, so he can't have more than 5 months left on it bc I ran carfax and I know exactly how long he has owned it. He wants me to pay off the lien so he can print the title and get it notarized over to me before I leave with it. Only catch is I have not seen the car. He has sent me lots of pics and it looks immaculate. I was going to drive down there this past weekend but could not get away and he had no problems with me coming to look at the car. He has a 69 Fastback in his garage and also a BMW M5. He has done things to the motor like putting on chrome valve covers and has all original parts and all documentation on the car. I feel pretty safe doing this, however, I know he could be feeding me a complete line of BS.

So, how many of you guys buy these cars sight unseen? I see some people buy them and get them shipped. I am going to go down there to drive the car back. I think $15,500 for an 04 with 70k, one owner, no wrecks, all original parts and docu is a pretty good deal. If I am only paying off 5 months of a lien, I can't imagine the guy is trying to pull a scam on a car he has owned for close to 7 yrs. However, I am not super interested in driving 10 hrs one way 2 times! But these cars are HARD to find one owner and not wrecked in the price range I want to spend.

Now, my daddy is a Ford mechanic from way back so absolutely anything that is wrong with this car, we can fix. I'm more worried about getting to FL and him not showing up. That's were I think it's probably not going to happen because the guys is only 5 months from payoff on the car. That would be a stupid move.

2drbg3o.jpg
[/IMG]

2882v4j.jpg

x56n0o.jpg

Also, anyone want to guess hp/tq? Guy has never had this car dynoed.

Straight from his listing:

Bassani ceramic coated headers, S.S. Bassani exhaust (X-pipe), SCT program upgrade (100 HP), Steeda cold air intake, Steeda idler pully upgrade, light bar & parts of engine painted to match the car color, also chrome valve covers. It also has a new intercooler (mounted under super charger), new clutch kit, flywheel, & alternator. We also have the convertible top cover and it is excellent condition too. also in our possession are all the original parts including the signed valve covers. Never raced.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I will drive you down there if you let me drive it back. Deal?

candy3369

Established Member
the wheels didn't look stock to me either. He has all original parts and they come with the car.

The black one comes with Flowmasters installed, but the Borla also comes with it.

Now I did find another that has all kinds of stuff done, ported eaton, accufab tb, Bassani Xpipe and exhaust, etc and it has been custom tuned. However, it has been wrecked in the front twice!

candy3369

Established Member
I will drive you down there if you let me drive it back. Deal?

haha ride with me?! No way your driving though-unless you let me drive yours there!

Let me tell you this all got started b/c I decided I HAD to have a sports car and the first one I test drove was an 03 putting 475 at the wheels.....I absolutely fell in love!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
haha ride with me?! No way your driving though-unless you let me drive yours there!

Let me tell you this all got started b/c I decided I HAD to have a sports car and the first one I test drove was an 03 putting 475 at the wheels.....I absolutely fell in love!

Yep that will pretty much ruin you for most other sporty type cars.

I actually bought mine new without ever driving one.

Still can't manage to drive the car without having a "big ole" smile plastered from ear to ear!

Users who are viewing this thread