Is this engine worth picking up?

50 Proof

Established Member
I have a lead on a 2001 cobra engine and 3650. It's complete from pan to intake, includes injectors and engine harness. He wants $1100 for it all.

The problem is, it's got 140,000 miles, it started burning a little oil on acceleration, he let the oil level get too low and the engine developed a rod knock. The trans also grinds going into 2nd but I don't need the trans.

I'm wanting to do a 4v swap on my Bullitt, and this swap seems pretty complete (minus the fact that the engine needs work), which is why I'm considering it. Should I walk away from this deal? Would it be worth picking up? How much should I expect to spend on a stock rebuild or even a rebuild with forged internals?

Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
It would definitely be under 600hp. I love the Bullitt but I want it the way ford should have built it, with a 4v. I'd mainly just do bolt ons and enjoy it as a fun street car. The cost of the rebuild mainly has me concerned, I have no idea how extensive the rebuild would need to be, if the heads would need to rebuilt too and if so how expensive that would be. With Mach motors costing in the $3k price range, would I be stupid to pick up this 01 motor to rebuild?

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
4v's are more expensive to build. If you want a car in the 300 rwhp range, find a good running 4v and use that. If you want to build a 500 rwhp engine, pick this one up and build it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It will have the WAP block, so keep it under 600 hp..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Why? The WAP blocks can handle well over 600hp. They can handle up into the 900 range. So don't let the block be the limiting factor.

Is the motor in a position you can at least take the oil pan off? That way you can check the condition of the crank. If it were me I would pick it up if the crank is good, sell the transmission for a few bucks, and build something a little better then stock. But then I have a hard time leaving things alone.

shurur

Established Member
Many of the 2001 Cobras have the Teksid block...it's luck of the draw....I'd call MMR and see what supplying the block/heads will buy you on a build from them..they could give you an idea what to offer the guy...sounds like he wants it out of the way..

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
WAP block is not weak, people have taken them to 900-1000rwhp
don't buy the motor because its cheap. You have to plan on building a motor like that...and its cheaper to do it while its out.

50 Proof

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like the engine probably isn't as good of a deal as I had hoped. Junk yards near me sell mark viii motors for cheap. If I have to do a full rebuild I may as well just pick up a mark viii block for a couple hundred and start from there.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mark VIII's don't have forged cranks. That's why I said check the crank if you can.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

98fourvalve

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like the engine probably isn't as good of a deal as I had hoped. Junk yards near me sell mark viii motors for cheap. If I have to do a full rebuild I may as well just pick up a mark viii block for a couple hundred and start from there.

And they are B heads which wouldn't be as good. Along with not starting off with a cobra intake, or a forged crank.

This alone would make getting it worth it. Honestly out of your mind if you don't get it and choose to start with a mark 8 instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread