Is this guy scamming me?

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
Ok here's the deal. I'm in the market for a busa and I found this great turbo one but the owner is kinda sketchy. First I sent him an email saying I had cash in hand and I was very interested. Also asked him how flexible he was on the price and he sent this back...

Hi,
I am selling this bike because my platoon has been sent back to Afganistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before March 1st. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident..I do have the title , clear, under my name.The bike has 9,000 original miles.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $3,800 . The Suzuki is in Billings , MT , in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
Regards!!!

Note the listed price was actually 12,500 not 3,800 lol.

I replied now slightly suspicious...

Yeah sure sounds great. 3,800 for an 07 turbo busa sounds great. Do you have a phone number I can reach you at?

and he says...

Right now I`m in a military base. we are getting ready for Afghanistan. I don`t have my cell with me. We`ll have to stick to email for now as this is the only way I can communicate.The shipping can't be a problem because I can do it at no cost for you. You will receive the bike along with all the documents including title, bill of sale, full service records and more .Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal only using an authorized third party like eBay, using their Business Purchase Protection Program.The payment will be handling by eBay and you will benefit of 5 inspection time period (test drive) and the option to accept or reject the bike on my expense. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info and they will notify you about our deal.

What the hell kind of scam is this?

FijiStudios

I Drive Slow
Established Member
thats such a deliberate scam i laughed.... I mean is this a question. That is the most cookie cutter reply i have ever heard. He didnt even get the price right:dw:

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
Yeah but what's the scam? Sets this deal up with "ebay" and my money ends up in Nigeria? I was a little suspicious since I saw the same bike sell about 2 months ago.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
The old adage is pretty true; "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

txyaloo

Established Member
First, ebay doesn't have a business purchase program, and second, they don't have any type of payment handling process other than paypal.

100% a scam.

I thought you were smarter than that. :lol:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Yeah but what's the scam? Sets this deal up with "ebay" and my money ends up in Nigeria? I was a little suspicious since I saw the same bike sell about 2 months ago.

Ebay offers no protection unless the purchase is made through their auction or sale service. The item has to be offered and sold through ebay to eligible for any kind of protection. The name and validity of ebay is used to help falsely assure you that you aren't going to get ripped off. Ebay doesn't care what happens to you or your money unless you made the purchase through them, they would have no reason to.

txyaloo

Established Member
its-a-trap.jpg

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I say go for it. Probably just someone being nice.

:lol:

It worries me so many people have to even question whether these are scams or not.

Red flag #1, priced way too good to be true.

Red flag #2, no phone number, can't pick it up or look at it in person.

Red flag #3, "3rd party escrow".

Users who are viewing this thread