Is this high or just me?

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
What do you guys think is this reasonable for the amount of work being done.

First off this is what Im having done:

Complete IRS Bushing Install (Including Differential Bushings)

Install of 4.10 Gears

Rebuild rear end Differential w/ new bearings and clutch packs

Weld in the MM FLSFC

Cut 04 cobra springs (1 Coil in front , 3/4 Coil in Back) and Install Caster Camber Plates w/ alignment

Install SCT XCaliber 3 HandHeld Tuner

Having all this done was quoted $2600 is this good or bad? He said he quoted a little high to encorporate all the little things he might encounter and extra grease and lube and what not needed to do the install properly.

What do you think?

Thanks

Daniel Hull

po-po 5.0

Established Member
The gear install alone I've heard goes for $800. However, if you're that deep into the rearend, it shouldn't be appreciably more to replace the bushings. I'd consider $2600, including parts, to be on the high end but not unreasonable.

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
No this does not include parts this is just labor. I already have the parts. I have a break down of the costs in labor though.

Bushing Install 6.0 Hrs

4.10 install and rebuild combine total 10.0 hrs

Weld in subframe connectors 3.0 hrs a side= 6.0 hrs total

Cut Springs and install CC plates 1.5 per side x 4 sides = 6.0 hrs total

Alignment= 119.95 lifetime warranty as long as I own the car.

Install SCT Tuner .5 hrs

which totals to 28.5 hrs rounded up to 29 hrs x 79/hr labor rate= ~2300+120=2420 then whatever else they may need so he just said ~$2600. Seem right as far as labor hrs go?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
No this does not include parts this is just labor. I already have the parts. I have a break down of the costs in labor though.

Bushing Install 6.0 Hrs

Install SCT Tuner .5 hrs

which totals to 28.5 hrs rounded up to 29 hrs x 79/hr labor rate= ~2300+120=2420 then whatever else they may need so he just said ~$2600. Seem right as far as labor hrs go?

Based on those labor times, he's ripping you off. 4.10 intall and a rebuild will take 10 hours from rolling the car into the garage to rolling it out. If he's already pulling the IRS out to swap the bushings, it should take WAY less time.

He's basically double dipping on a lot of these: charging you full prices for removal and reinstallation multiple times when he's only going to do it once.

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
Ok so does anyone know any other reputable shops in the KC,MO area... I live in Lee's Summit and I got this quote from R & A Motorsports who are very reputable in my area. They are the ones that designed the "Twister" Mustang.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
The labor is quoted way to high. If you're doing a complete bushing install, that time is ok but the 4.10, subframe, and especially the front springs and CC plates are out of line.

Go visit a few more shops in your area till you find one you like and will provide a more realistic quote.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I did the full IRS bushings myself and I can tell you it is not fun. It took me a good 20 hours to remove and install everything. The subframe bushings have to be removed and then all the excess ground out. I think that price you got quoted is a good price. The way he is breaking it down is bad, but I know a few guys who have done the bushings professionally and wouldn't do it again for less then a grand.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Ok so does anyone know any other reputable shops in the KC,MO area... I live in Lee's Summit and I got this quote from R & A Motorsports who are very reputable in my area. They are the ones that designed the "Twister" Mustang.

I think ATI (maker of prochargers) is in Lenexa. They MIGHT have a full service shop. :shrug:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Here is my recommendation. Take that money, buty some tools, pizza and beer. Invite some buddies over. Drop the IRS, take the gears and the center section to the shop for gear install/rebuild. Install the bushings. Cut the springs and install the cc plates with your buddies. When the center section is done, put it back together. Drink beer and eat pizza with your buddies. Install the Xcal tune, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PAY FOR THAT TO BE DONE. That's like paying someone to put gas in your car when you live outside of Jersey. Drive car to shop and have subframes welded and alignment done. The bushings are a PITA, but, to me, I just can't stomach paying some body $2600 for something I can do myself. If you can put a round peg into a round hole, you can do the bushings.

K2AHollywood

Established Member

Bushing Install 6.0 Hrs

Install SCT Tuner .5 hrs

:lol: When I installed my FLSFCs that was my firts time welding...I had them lined up in the most anal manner possible and welded in under 1.5hrs. As satetd above, if your going to pay someone to plug in the SCT tuner to load a tune, Ill come over and do it for you, take your money and then kick you in the nuts :poke: but seriously, buy a good tune from someone like LaSota and then load it yourself, if you have ever used an OBD II you can use your SCT, and Id be happy to walk you through step by step :beer:

As for the alignment, I have never seen something like that, a lifetime unlimited? My buddy runs and alignment shop and each one is about $70 so if your going to be playing with your set up a lot, Id go for it....that would be pretty awesome actually....

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
Here is my recommendation. Take that money, buty some tools, pizza and beer. Invite some buddies over. Drop the IRS, take the gears and the center section to the shop for gear install/rebuild. Install the bushings. Cut the springs and install the cc plates with your buddies. When the center section is done, put it back together. Drink beer and eat pizza with your buddies. Install the Xcal tune, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PAY FOR THAT TO BE DONE. That's like paying someone to put gas in your car when you live outside of Jersey. Drive car to shop and have subframes welded and alignment done. The bushings are a PITA, but, to me, I just can't stomach paying some body $2600 for something I can do myself. If you can put a round peg into a round hole, you can do the bushings.

Would be a good idea if I could buy beer lol Im only 19 but anyways does anyone have a more accurate estimate on how long these things should take to install. I might take the advice I think me and my grandpa can drop the IRS ourselves and do the bushing install using his press. What do you guys think is it hard dropping the IRS?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Would be a good idea if I could buy beer lol Im only 19 but anyways does anyone have a more accurate estimate on how long these things should take to install. I might take the advice I think me and my grandpa can drop the IRS ourselves and do the bushing install using his press. What do you guys think is it hard dropping the IRS?

Dropping the IRS is really not hard at all. When I did the IRS swap on my car, the IRS was completely out from under the car in about 3 hours.

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
OK then I could just take off all the LCAs and UCAs on the IRS and take out the bushings and press in the new ones. Then put on the springs and what not then have the subframes welded in by a shop

po-po 5.0

Established Member
OK then I could just take off all the LCAs and UCAs on the IRS and take out the bushings and press in the new ones. Then put on the springs and what not then have the subframes welded in by a shop

Once the IRS is out you could unbolt the diff, and take it to a shop to have it rebuild and your gears installed. This will take a day. While the diff is away, you could be doing the bushings. When you get your diff back you could reassemble the car, and then take it in for subframes.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member

Bushing Install 6.0 Hrs

Install SCT Tuner .5 hrs

as stated above, some of these are ridiculous, unless this guy is green at working on mustangs and is guessing at how long it will take...

i can't speak for the bushings, but 10 hours to to swap gears, replace bearings and rebuild the diff is outrageous...it can be done with the right tools in probably 4-5 hours...

he should be smacked in the head for quoting FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY FOUR DOLLARS (6 hours) to weld in some subframe connectors...he is absolutely REAMING you on that one...shouldn't take more than an hour, hour and a half max...

Another 474 bucks to pull springs, cut them, put them back in and install c/c plates? another ripoff...i pulled my front springs, cut them, and put them back in in about 45 minutes, for both sides...rears would take maybe another 45 minutes...c/c plates might take an hour (being generous)...

and i agree, DO NOT pay to have him load a tune from an xcal, if anything, we can walk you through that on here...

so at most you should be paying 14-15 hours...assuming the bushings only take 6 hours...

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
Theres a place in smithville, MO called Yancy's that I went to for my gear install. They aren't all that organized but they did good work. I don't know exactly what all they do (welding/alignments...) but you could give them a call and check and get a quote (816)436-0952. If I remember correctly they charged me $400 for the install with the pumpkin still on the car (gears and bearing kit).

On the Xcal you just plug it in under the dash and push a few buttons. Don't pay someone to do that unless you're getting a dynotune.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I dropped the IRS, installed subframe bushings, pulled the diff, installed front and rear diff bushings and the BIllet Flow brace by myself this summer. I had a floor jack and some wood blocks for jack stands. On the IRS not the car :) You don't need a press for the bushings. Just clean the bores really good with a wire wheel, grease them up and push them in.

Users who are viewing this thread