Is this high or just me?

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
So everyone has the same opinion that if I just put in a couple hours me (a mechanical idiot) and my grandpa (retired mechanic) can knock this out. Because I know how to do brakes, shocks, oil changes, and batteries thats about my extent. I think I am gonna try and do it myself. You say you dont need the press to get the bushings in just get a power drill and a wire wheel and clean them up real good and the new delrin bushings will go into place.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
So everyone has the same opinion that if I just put in a couple hours me (a mechanical idiot) and my grandpa (retired mechanic) can knock this out. Because I know how to do brakes, shocks, oil changes, and batteries thats about my extent. I think I am gonna try and do it myself. You say you dont need the press to get the bushings in just get a power drill and a wire wheel and clean them up real good and the new delrin bushings will go into place.

I think there's a tutorial on here somewhere. Read it first so you know what you're getting into.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member

If you pull the brakes and shocks, you are halfway there. It's not that involved. The parts fit where they go and there is no measuring or adjusting. It is time consuming. M ake sure you jack the car up evenly too. You might need a 1/2 inch threaded rod and some nuts and washers to help spread the mounts to make reinstalling the subframe easier.

tj04cobra

Established Member
i would do it myself if i were you with a couple of friends as some stated above. of course they are going to charge you high at a shop to do it. if every mechanic charged for the actual time that it took them as opposed to how much it is worth in his pocket, or how much he thinks its worth to his own experience, we would make no money. the tech working on the car isnt making 80 dollars an hour so he is going to charge what he thinks is fair for his own pocket not yours. olgreydog7 had a strong point of buying your own tools and trying to do it yourself. save money and get to keep the tools. i wouldnt suggest trying to build my own rearend if i didnt know what i was doing, but buying your own tools which you can keep forever and learning something will save you money in the long run. plus after you learn it you can start charging all your buddies to do similar stuff to their cars with the tools you just bought. good luck with whatever you do tho.

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
Think Ill prolly do some appearance mods for now and keep the parts stocked up in my room til the summer. Its -20* here with wind chill and 2* without so working in a cold ass garage really isnt at the top of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread