Is this normal?

groundjet

Established Member
Most times when I run my 2011 GT500 hard up to 90 of 100 mph I end up with a few droplets of fluid on the engine block . The fluid is coming from the IC reservoir and the cap is on tight. Is this normal? If it isn't what would be the fix?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I saw one other thread like this a few months back from the GT500 owner in Germany that posts here often. He fixed it with new hose clamps, as the factory ones weren't holding tight enough. That was the ford dealer in Germany's fix too.

I wish I remembered their user name here so I could find the thread.

Good luck!

groundjet

Established Member
Thanks 2010shelby,

The fluid is definately getting past the cap. I am not sure if its caused by too much pressure due to overheating or just a bad seal on the cap.
Its under warranty but I don't really want to tell the dealer what I have to do the car to make it leak out. I'll have to drop in after the fact next time and show them the fluid drops on the block.

Cuda426

Established Member
Most times when I run my 2011 GT500 hard up to 90 of 100 mph I end up with a few droplets of fluid on the engine block . The fluid is coming from the IC reservoir and the cap is on tight. Is this normal? If it isn't what would be the fix?

Just replace the cap. Mine was making a hissing noise this summer and I couldn't see any defect to the cap or seal. I switched the cap over to the radiator reservoir and the noise followed with the switched cap. It was not holding pressure. I made a trip over to the local Ford Dealer and bought one over the parts counter. I think if was $11.00 or $14.00, I don't remember exactly.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just replace the cap. Mine was making a hissing noise this summer and I couldn't see any defect to the cap or seal. I switched the cap over to the radiator reservoir and the noise followed with the switched cap. It was not holding pressure. I made a trip over to the local Ford Dealer and bought one over the parts counter. I think if was $11.00 or $14.00, I don't remember exactly.

+1 - simple, easy, and no messing with the service department.

DaFreak

Established Member
Turn the cap over and take a close up pic and post up. I've seen the seal get twisted or separated and cause this issue.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Thanks 2010shelby,

The fluid is definately getting past the cap. I am not sure if its caused by too much pressure due to overheating or just a bad seal on the cap.
Its under warranty but I don't really want to tell the dealer what I have to do the car to make it leak out. I'll have to drop in after the fact next time and show them the fluid drops on the block.

I fairly certain the dealer does not think GT500 owners "baby" the cars. :banana:

einehund

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread