Is your Cobra your daily driver? (How's the Cobra clutch for daily driving?)

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
GTO, if its like the camaro/transam will have a hydraulic clutche, never driven one but I'm 99% certain its hydraulic. Lotsa great points made about the clutch already. I'd echo that you'll quickly get used to it. My wife used to drive a Passat, she is 5-3 and is small woman and has no issue w/ the clutch. Heck she even noticed the Pro-5.0 shifter (w/ stock handle and knob) and asked if that was stock or not because she really liked it. AND, the centerforce will be way easier down the road. I put one in my LX and darn near put a dent in the floor and it felt as easy as the Passat, it felt like cheating! :)

03DOHC

Established Member
I drive mine every day and get stuck in California traffic every day.

If you're a wuss don't buy this car.

JRock

Established Member
Well I just sat in one at the dealer that's a block from work on my way home today. I was actually kinda digging the interior and the clutch didn't feel so bad. I'm going back tomorrow for a testdrive.
I'm going to be worried if I like it because this car at invoice price is still stretching my car budget. =p

Btw, they have at least five in stock, including two 'verts, all '04s.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I have one of each. The older coupe is like doing leg presses but I don't get much traffic (7 miles to the office) and the newer vert is a dream for the wife and me. She drives 25 miles in stop and go traffic but her clutch is like stepping on a pillow. I swear Ford came out with a newer clutch or tranny after mine was built because other cars I've sat in are heavy but no where near what mine is. I've yet to find another one as light as the wifes though.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by JRock
Two?!?! Can you buy me one next?? :bowdown: :beer: :-D

Buying hers was the only way to get to drive mine. The wife leaves earlier than me and kept leaving me the V6 vert we had before her Cobra.

:beer:

ModsAway

Established Member
The clutch in my car is stiff but still significantly lighter then the cobra I test drove a couple months before purchasing mine. Build date Feb 14, 03. Now Valentines means something to me, single or not!!

RedCobraFire

Established Member
I love the clutch, it's stiff and heavy just the way I want it. I only really notice how heavy it is in long stop and go traffic. Once you get used to it it's a breeze.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by JRock
Okay so it sounds for me like "Get a leg press machine or get another car" eh? :-D
Seriously unless you are a total pussy you shouldnt have a problem. Im not the strongest of guys and have NP with the clutch.

KOOY

Established Member
It is quite stiff, especially for constant start-stop situations. I Have only been a driver for 3 years. It was very painful, but only for the first 2 months at most. Once used to it, I felt nothing. The drawback is, You have to get used to those lighter clutches. Now. I even consider the M3 is very light.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I think it was Maxim that had an article where a guy and a girl tested the '03 Cobra. The guy liked it, the girl said it was too much car for her. She said she would feel "safe" with any guy who drove a Terminator.

Hey, I own one of those Terminators.
What is that Maxim girl's number?
:beer:

Darcsun

Established Member
I drove both the GT and Cobra on my dealership lot before I bought it. The GT is way wasier for daily commuting. However, as it stands now, the Cobra is my only driver. I normally drive 45 minutes to and from work, but switched to a job in downtown Denver today. 1 1/2 commute on the way back... luckily for me, I added the clutch quad this weekend. The commute was worse before this mod... simple to do, and recommended if you're gonna daily drive it.

JRock

Established Member
Clutch quad, eh? If search wasn't disabled right now I'd check into what that is.

Anyway, I sat in a Cobra today. Clutch didn't feel so terrible. Test drive tomorrow. =)

3GROC

Established Member
its not nearly as heavy as some people make it out to be. I dont mind it at all. I had a hydraulic clutch on my SS and it was butter. this one is like frozen butter I guess. I dont have an issue with it in traffic or anything....

grabs nice too....

epracmetcon

Established Member
The clutch in my 94 cobra is a little heavier then the 03 cobras and I drive it every day. You get used to it after a while, also I think it adds to the whole driving a performance car feel, heavy clutch, a little bit notchy shifter, feeling the engine rumble through the shifter, etc...

03DOHC

Established Member

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
I drive mine daily and the Las Vegas Strip on the weekend's is really bad.

Clutch is a little stiff(about a #8 rating).

But then again, "It is a Real Man's Car"!!!:thumbsup: :burnout: :coolman:

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I have a honda & a cobra. If you are concerned about stiffness of the clutch in stop & go ...this is not the car for you.

03dohc.....it's not a wuss, it's a spoiled honda/acura owner. I hate driving the cobra in stop & go since I know how
easy it can be with my honda. Funny thing is it does'nt bother me enough to drive
the honda very much anymore. I guess an extra 300HP will do that to me.

mystangs

572/677 Hehe
Established Member
Used to be my daily driver..It's not that bad in traffic you get used to it. Hell my wife even took it into work a couple of times and had no problem with it. And she is 5'2" and petite.

Users who are viewing this thread