It wasn't the alternator

01yellercobra

Established Member
I thought I had a bad alternator, but that wasn't it. I broke out the manual and did some trouble shooting. The yellow/white wire at the plug has 12.6vdc. But the light green/red wire only has 11.6vdc with the key on. So the alternator isn't turning on. I did find fuse 20 blown. I replaced it and it hasn't blown since. Sounds like a short, but nothing is overly obvious.

Recent changes are that I added the Mark VIII fan. I have it wired to use the stock plug for power through the CCRM and it now has a fan controller. I did snip the high speed fan wire from the CCRM to use the signal for the fan controller. I also moved some wires around under the dash to change how the widebands are powered and to stage the second fuel pump. I pulled the dash out to remove the ABS bulb as I deleted the module and also pulled the theft bulb. I got tired of it flashing.

I moved the car a couple times during all this and I don't remember the battery light coming on. But I didn't have it running more than a minute as I didn't have most of the cooling system attached. I'm assuming I need to chase wires, but I can't figure out where the sense lead goes from at the plug under the fuse block.

01yellercobra

Established Member
According to the schematic I found the light green/red wire goes straight to the dash. So I'm assuming the 12vdc is supposed to come from the dash side. I pulled the dash just to see if I didn't plug something in correctly. Everything was plugged in fine. I also put the theft light bulb back just in case.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So after a little more trouble shooting I think it's something in the dash. I pulled it and did some tracing and then jumpered around it. I know it's getting 12vdc into it. Now to figure out the next move.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Pulling the dash isn't bad. Hardest part for me is plugging the vacuum line back in.

I'm trying to find someone local with a dash I can borrow. My wife mentioned I've been talking about going to a digital dash. I'm just not in the spending mood right now.

On the bright side everything else seems to be working as it should. Even the fan came on like it's supposed to.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Ended up ordering cluster off ebay. Should be here sometime next week. Let's see what happens.

96dreamer

Established Member
I had something similar happen on my car when I had the dash out recently. l pinched the glove box light which was intermittently grounding causing all sorts of issues and blew a few fuses. Not sure if that had anything to do with the alternator rich. Didn't notice the alternator wasn't working until the car died from not charging. Looking at the factory service manual I checked continuity at the alternator plug back to every connector in the harness so the way back to the dash. Every single one checked fine. Put it back together and it worked fine. Never did find what the issue was and it hasn't come up again. Hope that helps lol

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Pulling the dash isn't bad. Hardest part for me is plugging the vacuum line back in.

I'm trying to find someone local with a dash I can borrow. My wife mentioned I've been talking about going to a digital dash. I'm just not in the spending mood right now.

On the bright side everything else seems to be working as it should. Even the fan came on like it's supposed to.
Pulling the dash is on my “ to do” list when we get home, not looking forward to it but it probably the worst of the jobs I have left to do so I will just do it and get it over with.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't envy you for having to pull your dash twice as you try to find the electrical gremlin. Did you succumb to the idea of a digital dash replacement? Or did you order analog gauges?

Hopefully this will be the answer for you, Bob.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I should probably clarify that when I talk about the dash I'm just talking about the cluster.

I went with another stock cluster. I did some research on the digital cluster and I think I'd have to do some extra wiring. I'm waiting for a response on that one.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Digital dash is definetly in the cards eventually. That will be a good winter project for next winter. It just looks so good in our cars with the trim bezel.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Digital dash is definetly in the cards eventually. That will be a good winter project for next winter. It just looks so good in our cars with the trim bezel.
Depending on the wiring required it might be an after show season thing for me. The Cobra is going to AZ the end of April to make room for another project for a bit. Maybe after that I'll make the switch.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I should probably clarify that when I talk about the dash I'm just talking about the cluster.

I went with another stock cluster. I did some research on the digital cluster and I think I'd have to do some extra wiring. I'm waiting for a response on that one.
That’s not such a bad job, I need to pull the whole dash out. From what I have heard it isn’t really that bad of a job but not having done it before makes it a little daunting.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I originally was thinking you meant the cluster, but thought maybe you WERE switching to a digital dash. Thanks for the clarification.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I originally was thinking you meant the cluster, but thought maybe you WERE switching to a digital dash. Thanks for the clarification.
A company makes a plug and play digital cluster that works with the MS3. And one of the screens looks like the stock set up. I do want to get one at some point because then I can set up alarms and stuff that will show on the dash. Plus I just think it's kind of cool.

But right now I want to get it working with a stock set up so I know all it good before I start messing with it.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
A company makes a plug and play digital cluster that works with the MS3. And one of the screens looks like the stock set up. I do want to get one at some point because then I can set up alarms and stuff that will show on the dash. Plus I just think it's kind of cool.

But right now I want to get it working with a stock set up so I know all it good before I start messing with it.
I am thinking of putting in Speedhut “real” gauges. Just not sure if they will all work with the MS3propnp though. I know I don’t like the way the original gauges work. Too much invested in an engine to trust it with an on/off switch for the oil and temp gauges

01yellercobra

Established Member
I am thinking of putting in Speedhut “real” gauges. Just not sure if they will all work with the MS3propnp though. I know I don’t like the way the original gauges work. Too much invested in an engine to trust it with an on/off switch for the oil and temp gauges
The Speedhut stuff probably has all its own sending units. I'm running a pillar gauge that works with the MS3 right now that shows all the stuff the MS3 sees. I do need to add an oil pressure sensor for the MS3 though.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
The Speedhut stuff probably has all its own sending units. I'm running a pillar gauge that works with the MS3 right now that shows all the stuff the MS3 sees. I do need to add an oil pressure sensor for the MS3 though.
I am sure there is some way to get the Speedhut stuff and the MS3 to talk to each other, even if it means running 2 sensors for things like oil pressure and coolant temps. Speedo and tach should work with the original sensors I think

01yellercobra

Established Member
It all depends on what the Speedhut gauges need for an input and how many outputs the MS3 has. If you're fob to run the gauges from the MS3 you only need one set of sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread