It's coming in this week...Drive it or flatbed it???

Gumball

Established Member
My car is finally coming in this week. What's your opinion...should I drive it home or get it flatbedded?

Before I get flamed like the guy driving in the rain, here's the deal. We got 7 inches of snow last week. Suppose to get more this week. The ride home from the dealer is about 1 hour on the highway. Yes, the car is black, and yes it's a vert. I've got 2 other vehicles that will handle the crappy weather (01 GMC, 03 MDX). My intention is to drive the car all summer but not in the winter.

I'd prefer to bed it home, but here's my question. Is it smart to have this car sitting in my garage till spring without ever really test driving it? To me, a test drive will put just as much salt and crud on the car as the ride home.

Thanks for the input.

Bosko

Established Member
Pick it up with the flatbed and drop it off over here at my house. Ill make sure it all checks out. It doesnt rain that much here. :)

Thats a tuff one... Hmm.. You didnt buy it not to drive it, but then you didnt buy it to drive in the weather. Well I want to say "flat bed" but it doesnt really matter now that I think of it. It comes down to this. Your going to be sitting at home thinking about your Brand New 2003 Cobra that is in your grage about 50 feet away or so. I dont think I would have the will power...

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
If it's going to see salt just drive it home. If you are going to keep it salt free, flat bed it. Simple enough..

I only got 500 miles on mine before the salt went down. There are usually at least a few gaps during the winter around here where it rains enough to wash off the salt before it gets cold and they put it down again. So I always hope for rain during the winter :)

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hey Gumball, I have to agree that the temptation is going to be great not to drive it until Spring. I like the idea of flat-bedding it to your house, store it in your garage, and then if there are days where rain has washed away the salt on the road and they're "clean", then take it out. I already told you mine is due in February and I'm wrestling with the same questions. We both live within 15 miles of each other. I think I've talked myself into a decision already. So yours is black, heh. Mine is Dark Shadow Gray. I really wanted the Mineral Gray (kind of a brown tinted gray) but it isn't available any longer.

Gumball

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I've been leaning toward bedding it myself. I just can't get the feeling of being a weenie for not driving it home, out of my head. I guess I've always been a drive it hard, wipe it off, drive it hard again kind of person.

Then again, I really don't NEED this car, so I'm inclined to want to keep it in better shape. Oh well, we should all have such difficult problems.

03'Darin

Established Member
Things for thought;

1. If they have put salt or cinders down you will have lots of flying debris on the highway that can chip the front of the car.

2. If the roads are dry you won't get salt on the car. Maybe just some dust but thats no big deal.

3. If the roads are wet..you will get salt all over.

4. If there is snow on the roads....NO WAY. We push the Mustangs around the lot everytime it snows here.

5. If the roads are good....can you really buy an 03' Cobra and not drive it home.

MPO...1 & 3 = NO...... 2 & 4 = YES

Gumball

Established Member
Thank you for being as indecisive as I am. One question, is that fence you're sitting on hurting the crack of your ass???:) :)

03'Darin

Established Member
Not at all. I does this for a living......I'm a salesman. I give the customer the options and they decide what they want to do.

Trained professional!!:)

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
NO BRAINER, flat bed it home. Then work on renting a street cleaner and do your neighborhood so you can atleast get it around the block a couple of times.
I would definitely keep it out of the salt. You will never be able to get it all off no matter how hard you try. I used to live in Ohio, they like salt there, cars do not..
There, no fence in my ass :lol: :beer:
Got any relatives in FL that would store it for you over the winter, thats not a bad idea :rolling:

Gumball

Established Member
The problem with relatives in FLA is that I'd then have to go visit them to see the car. You've never met my mother in law. Let's just say wealthy, Long Islander...nuff said. I think I'd rather wet my ass in a bucket and go back and sit on the fence naked!!

Ya know, now that you mention it, I do have a couple of clients that work for the town that I live in. I may have to check if he's got the keys to the street sweeper!!

NewMexicoCobra

Established Member
My favorite cartoon panel "Citizen Kane" over my desk shows Motley the cat looking at his food bowl:

"I don't know whether I should eat now and then take a nap, or nap first and eat later"

"If I nap first, my food could go stale, but if I eat first, I might be too full to sleep"

"It's not easy being a cat"

Enjoy!

:beer:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Flatbed it, put it in the garage, and let it suckle on a trickle charger over the Winter. AFTER the first Spring rain washes the road salt away, take it out and have fun. No sense ruining what is destined to be a classic car. Finally, do what my wife and I plan to do: retire and move to a warm state, taking our Fords with us.

Gumball

Established Member
Well, now I really have to shit or get off the pot. I just got a call that the car just came in. Let's see, April 24 to December 3...nah, forget it, the math's too depressing. I'm just glad Dave at Lombard doesn't really care when I come and get it. I guess I better hurry up and finish my little garage renovation project.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gumball, I'd be happy to run up to Lombard and drive it back for you. That is, after all this snow melts. Of course, I might have to take the "long" way home. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread