jacksonville good place to live?

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
We're talkin' about Florida, right?

Just curious but what all are you looking for in a city other than work? Are you looking for nightlife, college chicks etc. or are you looking for a safe place to raise kids with good schools and stuff? I've been living here almost all my life and some of the things posted above are true. Since I was in middle school I seen a few gangs...:bored: realistically they're just a few kids who tell other kids they're in a gang. I know a few of these people and by the time they turn 20 they all got kids and claim they're trying to change.

As far as the redneck nonsense, it was true in the '90s when the city was redneck/hoodrat. Truth is it's not really like that anymore. Most of "the good ol' boys" have moved out of the actual city and into the outskirts like Middleburg, Starke, Macclenny and Callahan. The thing is the city's demographics is changing alot. Within the past decade there's been an influx other cultures including people from India, Mexico, Vietnam and some of the western European countries that speak the Slavic languages.

If you're concerned about violence I can say that everytime I hear something's happened, majority of the time it takes place on the same side of town. Mostly taking place on the northwest side of town involving some hoodrats... probably fightin' over who makes the best Kool-Aid:nonono:. If you're gettin' a job off of Gate you'll more than likely never set foot on that side because there just isn't much else there.

The city itself is pretty spaced out. I know some people who say that's their only complaint... that the city is too big. Which it is since it's the largest city in the 48 states land-wise. It gets pretty hot. For example, right now it's 87 outside at 3:30 in the afternoon. Believe it or not, every Jax-native I've met (myself included) wishes for snow every winter... It's THAT rare. Sometimes it'll get cold but other times you can wear shorts... in December:shrug: I like to post pictures of me driving with the top down in the winter. We DO get our fair share of rain though. Also, I think the city's done a pretty good job with dealing with the traffic. The worst parts are out of the city in Orange Park.

Out of all who posted thus far I would say Chris' post is probably the best. Gate parkway is literally 15 mins (or less) from the beaches plus I would say that's the city's most active part of town... but there still isn't much crime on that side of town other than your average drunk college kid trying to resist arrest. You can also visit tourist spots in the nation's first city with a 30 minute drive to St. Aug and Orlando is only 2 hours away which is ideal because people usually don't like living there with all the traffic. We always have family flying in from out of town, then we'll all drive to Orlando to visit Mickey. If I were you I would definitely jump to the opportunity. You could atleast visit first to see what you think.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Just curious but what all are you looking for in a city other than work? Are you looking for nightlife, college chicks etc. or are you looking for a safe place to raise kids with good schools and stuff? I've been living here almost all my life and some of the things posted above are true. Since I was in middle school I seen a few gangs...:bored: realistically they're just a few kids who tell other kids they're in a gang. I know a few of these people and by the time they turn 20 they all got kids and claim they're trying to change.

As far as the redneck nonsense, it was true in the '90s when the city was redneck/hoodrat. Truth is it's not really like that anymore. Most of "the good ol' boys" have moved out of the actual city and into the outskirts like Middleburg, Starke, Macclenny and Callahan. The thing is the city's demographics is changing alot. Within the past decade there's been an influx other cultures including people from India, Mexico, Vietnam and some of the western European countries that speak the Slavic languages.

If you're concerned about violence I can say that everytime I hear something's happened, majority of the time it takes place on the same side of town. Mostly taking place on the northwest side of town involving some hoodrats... probably fightin' over who makes the best Kool-Aid:nonono:. If you're gettin' a job off of Gate you'll more than likely never set foot on that side because there just isn't much else there.

The city itself is pretty spaced out. I know some people who say that's their only complaint... that the city is too big. Which it is since it's the largest city in the 48 states land-wise. It gets pretty hot. For example, right now it's 87 outside at 3:30 in the afternoon. Believe it or not, every Jax-native I've met (myself included) wishes for snow every winter... It's THAT rare. Sometimes it'll get cold but other times you can wear shorts... in December:shrug: I like to post pictures of me driving with the top down in the winter. We DO get our fair share of rain though. Also, I think the city's done a pretty good job with dealing with the traffic. The worst parts are out of the city in Orange Park.

Out of all who posted thus far I would say Chris' post is probably the best. Gate parkway is literally 15 mins (or less) from the beaches plus I would say that's the city's most active part of town... but there still isn't much crime on that side of town other than your average drunk college kid trying to resist arrest. You can also visit tourist spots in the nation's first city with a 30 minute drive to St. Aug and Orlando is only 2 hours away which is ideal because people usually don't like living there with all the traffic. We always have family flying in from out of town, then we'll all drive to Orlando to visit Mickey. If I were you I would definitely jump to the opportunity. You could atleast visit first to see what you think.

Well I am 30 years old... I just got married two weeks ago so we will probably end up having kids in the next 4 years. I would like there to be nightlife and things to do. I am hoping that since its near the water there are boating activities and restaurants on the water. I like to go out to eat a lot and I know the wife likes to go shopping at nice places.

The thing I like the most is the weather... I had to ditch my cobra a number of years ago because I needed a car that could handle the new england weathers. I am must better financially now and I can pick up another car and the housing market from what I have seen is really nice down there... for the price of my home up here I can pick up a mansion down in FL.

I just want to make sure its a decent place to live with lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc... other then that I just want it to be safe...

cobra199711

Established Member
Jax is a great city, yes we have some trash as ANY city! Gate Parkway is awesome and your down the road from the ST. Johns town center which is very nice (restaurants,shopping) With your budget I would look at any number of country clubs not to far from where you will be working. Jacksonville Golf and Country club, Glen Kernan, Queens Harbor. You may opt moving to the beaches which has a decent night life, places to eat etc.

u n v kenny

Established Member
I'll put it this way; I love to travel. But, I wouldn't live anywhere else. Been here my entire life (27yrs).

YJSONLY

Established Member
Guns in Florida is not an issue. Its not Texas where you can open carry but a CWP is not an issue in getting and gun sales too. Hearing other people talk about cost of living in Massachusetts ...... :cuss: that!

As far as living in Jax.... The only place you need to go to for a good time is the SILVER FOX on Beaver Street! :banana::banana::banana:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Well I am 30 years old... I just got married two weeks ago so we will probably end up having kids in the next 4 years. I would like there to be nightlife and things to do. I am hoping that since its near the water there are boating activities and restaurants on the water. I like to go out to eat a lot and I know the wife likes to go shopping at nice places.

The thing I like the most is the weather... I had to ditch my cobra a number of years ago because I needed a car that could handle the new england weathers. I am must better financially now and I can pick up another car and the housing market from what I have seen is really nice down there... for the price of my home up here I can pick up a mansion down in FL.

I just want to make sure its a decent place to live with lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc... other then that I just want it to be safe...

What, are you serious? Now I'm really convinced that this will be an ideal place for you. There's a decent amount of nightlife going on around here. Me and my friends hang out at the bars and clubs at the beaches from time to time. There's also places at the Town Center as well as downtown that can provide a decent time. However, everything here closes at or around 2:00 am. We also have alot of activities and things going on all around town, often times at the Landing downtown by the river.

If you like to eat out there are a crap load of restaurants around town especially at the town center, right off of Gate. Many I haven't even been to yet.

I think the only negative I can think of are the Jaguars :??: I hardly ever see any expensive cars. Maybe a Ferrari or an Aston once every few months. Gas right now is around $3.50 for premium. I feel like I should be handing you a brochure.

Congrats on your marriage btw :beer:

As far as living in Jax.... The only place you need to go to for a good time is the SILVER FOX on Beaver Street! :banana::banana::banana:

Lol! Don't do that to him. I don't think he's ready for that yet

YJSONLY

Established Member
Lol! Don't do that to him. I don't think he's ready for that yet

Can one be EVER ready for that place? :shrug:

I have to go to the farmers market helping my father and on more than one occasion have the patrons be standing in the middle of the road at 4am with out a care in the world!

u n v kenny

Established Member

Oh gosh, well if you just want a bar scene, The Roost is amazing. :D

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
Nine years here..,northerner for 30+ years...wife and kids love it. I live further south in St. Aug.

Do what I did - have the company making you the offer bring you down for a few days. Took me about 4 hours to make up my mind once i was here.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
I thought you meant my hometown of Jacksonville, NORTH CAROLINA :??::??:

Haha, I do have relatives that live in the other Jacksonville and they all love it down there.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Guns in Florida is not an issue. Its not Texas where you can open carry but a CWP is not an issue in getting and gun sales too. Hearing other people talk about cost of living in Massachusetts ...... :cuss: that!

That's so wrong...:D. That man is from the way, way westside....He can't be trusted. :bash:

$400k to $600k in Jacksonville (and thesurrounding area) will buy you a whole lot of house...$450k in Macclenny got me about 4000sq ft, a 3000sq ft pole barn and 12 acres on the little St. Marys river in Macclenny. Depending on where you settle in town that can either get you a really nice lot on the water and a moderate house or a ridiculous house in a subdivision somewhere....

Sounds like $$ isn't really a issue. Best thing I could possibly suggest to you is fly down for a weekend with your wife, rent a car and check the town out. Spend half a day driving through it all and see what talks to you. You've pretty well got the budget to go wherever you want so best bet is to experience it and see...

Unless you are extraordinarily picky and narrow minded I can't imagine you not being able to find a niche here that would suit you. It's diverse enough that there really is something for everybody...

I recently got back into town after a 6 month stint in Gainesville and forgot how much I liked Jacksonville. Even bought my self a welcome home toy (2011 GT500) and have been quite enjoying just how spread out Jacksonville is.

Last edited:

JasonSnake

Established Member
Jax is a great city, yes we have some trash as ANY city! Gate Parkway is awesome and your down the road from the ST. Johns town center which is very nice (restaurants,shopping) With your budget I would look at any number of country clubs not to far from where you will be working.

I was just there last week for a business trip (Downtown Riverfront / Jax Landing. Stayed at the Hyatt for 4 days and enjoyed my nights at the Landing. Chicago Pizza, Cinco de Mayo Mexican restaurant and Hooters are just a fraction of what's there.

I didn't stay long enough to really checkout the nearby areas but I was a little disappointed with downtown (just didn't have a Florida feel to it - more like Brooklyn-ish). However, I am sure there are a lot of nice area on hte other side of the riverfront. If any (good) job offers were to arise there, I wouldn't rule out moving there.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
That's so wrong...:D. That man is from the way, way westside....He can't be trusted. :bash:

$400k to $600k in Jacksonville (and thesurrounding area) will buy you a whole lot of house...$450k in Macclenny got me about 4000sq ft, a 3000sq ft pole barn and 12 acres on the little St. Marys river in Macclenny. Depending on where you settle in town that can either get you a really nice lot on the water and a moderate house or a ridiculous house in a subdivision somewhere....

Sounds like $$ isn't really a issue. Best thing I could possibly suggest to you is fly down for a weekend with your wife, rent a car and check the town out. Spend half a day driving through it all and see what talks to you. You've pretty well got the budget to go wherever you want so best bet is to experience it and see...

Unless you are extraordinarily picky and narrow minded I can't imagine you not being able to find a niche here that would suit you. It's diverse enough that there really is something for everybody...

I recently got back into town after a 6 month stint in Gainesville and forgot how much I liked Jacksonville. Even bought my self a welcome home toy (2011 GT500) and have been quite enjoying just how spread out Jacksonville is.

What are the best towns around the gate parkway area? I am in shock at how much house 400k buys you down there... in MA it barely buys anything.

As for the jaguars... at least you guys can get tickets... I have been on the patriots season ticket list for 7 years now and I still don't have any!

Also my wife is into medical record software and IT. Do you think she would have any issues finding a job in that field in the area?

Sirhc7897

Established Member
There are several nice areas near Gate Parkway. You are not too far from the Beach (quick trip down JTB), the whole Baymeadows / San Marco area is fairly near, Ponte Vedra, etc.

I am a surveyor and work all over town so I know town really well but when it comes to naming neighborhoods I struggle a little. I know if I was going to live in town it would be in the whole San Marco / Riverside area or maybe over on the Ortega River. I like the water but I really like all the old houses and neighborhoods in Riverside...The whole Fleming Island are is very nice too. Lots of people with kids work in Jax and live down in St. Johns County as the school system is nicer...I love St. Augustine and would live there in a heartbeat but it's a good 30-45 minutes south of town.

As far as your wife goes; there are numerous hospitals (and all of the surrounding medical businesses) in town as well as a few large medical insurance companies (BCBS comes to mind). I would think she would be able to find something easily enough...

I wish I could give you more specifics on neighborhoods but I just know road names. I guess that's how it goes when your knowledge of town geography is primarily based on Right of way and design surveys...

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Gate Parkway is the same part of town that I work at as well.

Shoot, if that's where you will be... and you have that kind of budget... and for a great opportunity.....you'd be crazy to ATLEAST not say 'no' until you check it out yourself.

For what you are looking for, and what that area has to offer.... you're golden.

Also as far as public schooling[I know you have like ~10 years until you have to worry about]... Clay County is where it is at. A lot of people [including my parents when I was little] will work in Duval County, but live within the Clay County district because of the schools. From 3rd grade all the way until I left for college[2007] I was here, and I feel like I could not have gotten a better education than what I did.

Jacksonville has many different faces to it. Like I have said, I've been around for a while now and have seen them all[I've also seen what the rest of the country has to offer as well]..... I've been the 8 year old student, successful high school student, the broke college student, and now a full-time worker.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread