jacksonville good place to live?

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I just got a job offer from a company located in jacksonville that is almost too good to pass up. Can anyone from down there let me know how it is to live there and raise a family? For some reason I get the impression that its not the safest city in the world when I don't really like much about the place at all.

Please let me know what you all think.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
I have family that lives there. It's still a nice place but it's went downhill over the last 10 years. IMO

tistan

Established Member
It is nice if you like white trash. It is only a couple hours down the road from me, so I've been to a few concerts and used to go racing down there when there was a track. I have a few friends that grew up there, they are the ones who call it white trash capital of the world.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
at least there would be no snow, weather alone for me would be a big reason to like it more

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
sounds like you guys love jacksonville... This makes the decision even harder.

Honestly I don't know how I could refuse this job offer.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
downtown is a shit hole from when I was there but I think like anywhere else there are nice suburb type areas

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I've lived here for 15 years, it really depends on what part of town you live in.

I work in Jacksonville, however I live in Fleming Island/Orange Park area [about 30 minutes south of downtown] ... very nice areas with excellent schools [I don't know if you have kids].

Can you be more specific about what part of town the job is? or where you want to live?

I wouldn't refuse a good opportunity just because of the location, the surrounding area of Jacksonville has some very nice spots.

Again... this is speaking as someone who has been here for 15 years and I've been all over the country for numerous months, so I know what else is out there too.

Besides... summer, Florida, 15 minutes from the beach... I get to drive my car 365 days a year. Daytona international speedway/Daytona Beach is about an hour down the road. Orlando is an amazing city with plenty to do.. 2-3 hours away. I love it

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I was there for SAR school, it was pretty nice as i remember, lil conservative from what i hear but my experience was ok.

HONEY BADGER

Established Member
I've lived here for 15 years, it really depends on what part of town you live in.

I work in Jacksonville, however I live in Fleming Island/Orange Park area [about 30 minutes south of downtown] ... very nice areas with excellent schools [I don't know if you have kids].

Can you be more specific about what part of town the job is? or where you want to live?

I wouldn't refuse a good opportunity just because of the location, the surrounding area of Jacksonville has some very nice spots.

Again... this is speaking as someone who has been here for 15 years and I've been all over the country for numerous months, so I know what else is out there too.

Besides... summer, Florida, 15 minutes from the beach... I get to drive my car 365 days a year. Daytona international speedway/Daytona Beach is about an hour down the road. Orlando is an amazing city with plenty to do.. 2-3 hours away. I love it

Same here. I worked downtown, which was ghetto for the most part and lived in fleming island. Awesome place to live and friendly people.

ssssnake

Established Member
LOL Maybe I should sell. I have rental property in Jacksonville, but I've never been there. Here's the info I recieved about it before I bought. Sounded good.

Why Jacksonville?

Experts agree, there are 5 Key Performance Indicators when it comes to evaluating a location for real estate investing:

Desirability
When considering a market for the purposes of real estate investing, desirability is certainly one of the most important factors. Jacksonville is a great place to live life to the fullest. The city has a wide variety of distinct residential neighborhoods, with housing options to suit any style. Whether it be a luxury condo high-rise downtown, a historic home or custom newly built homes in every style imaginable, there is a place for everyone to feel at home. Expansion Magazine has rated Jacksonville as one of America’s “Best Places to Live and Work”. The city is home to the southeast’s largest modern and contemporary art museum, endless miles of beautiful beaches and the largest urban park system in the United States.

Economic Growth
Business 2.0 ranked Jacksonville in the “Top 10 Hottest Cities” that will lead job growth through 2015. With population growth exceeding two percent per year, our workforce is expanding at twice the national average. With more than 20 hospitals and a growing bioscience community, Northeast Florida’s world-class health care system and related industries are the lifeline of the region. Five of the top 10 private companies provide or are affiliated with health care, including one of only three Mayo Clinics in the nation and the largest private employer — Baptist Health. The life sciences sector is one of four in a recent study produced by the Jacksonville Community Council Inc. projected to see continued growth, and it is considered an immediate opportunity for substantial job creation. Pursuing the recommendations in the study would result in 30,000 new jobs. Announcements and expansions in the past year are evidence of this continued growth. Medtronic Inc., PSS World Medical Inc. and Vistakon’s company headquarters are located in Jacksonville and attract some of the most highly skilled professionals in the nation and even worldwide.

Population Growth
Population growth in the Jacksonville region exceeds two percent per year, providing a workforce that is expanding at twice the national average. The median age in Jacksonville is 37, providing a young and dynamic workforce equal in age to the national average and three years lower than the Florida average. Fifty percent of the population growth is coming from people moving here to take advantage of employment opportunities. With a young workforce, wonderful climate and business-friendly environment, the greater Jacksonville region has enjoyed tremendous growth and prosperity over the past decade. The multiple military installations provide employment to more than 50,000 active duty, reserve and civilian men and women. Of the personnel who exit the military each year, more than 3,000 choose to remain in the region, providing a steady stream of skilled workers for area businesses.

Affordability
With a cost of living that is below the national average, Northeast Florida’s population has been growing twice as fast as the rest of the nation. That’s why our region is one of the few places in the United States that is experiencing a growing population of young professionals. Where else can you find a coastal city with single family homes available for less than $100,000? It simply does not exist. Considering the growing local job market for ‘working class’ labor, it will not likely last very long either. The pricing in Jacksonville, for savvy investors, is well below the replacement cost of a similar home. This, in itself, is a huge advantage. Entry level homes in the Jacksonville market are priced significantly lower than in any other city in the state of FL, making it an attractive place to be for first time home owners. It may very well be the least expensive entry market of any major city on the entire east coast.

Supply and Demand
In any marketplace, supply and demand are critical components. The housing market in Jacksonville did not experience extensive over-building, as was the case in many other parts of Florida. At this stage, new construction – particularly in the entry level market – has nearly come to a complete halt. Builders are certainly not focusing on producing new single family homes under $200,000, as it is simply not profitable. The result is that the housing supply, in this segment of the market, is, for now, somewhat fixed. With the population growth occurring, due to the influx of jobs, the entry level housing is now and will continue to be in very high demand.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member

The job would be in gate parkway. I would be looking for a really nice area that is safe. I have read some stories about gang violence which is scary. What would be the best areas around gate parkway?

ff500

Established Member
I think no matter where you go you're going to find good and bad. It might be worth taking a trip down there for a long weekend and scout out the neighborhoods and your new work location.

We're leaving Ma as well, be down in Va by the Fall.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
how are the gun laws and taxes in Florida?

I know there is no income tax but how are the property taxes?

And why are all the pool incased in screens? are the bugs that bad down there?

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
My wife could have transferred there for work (losing her job up north). We turned it down. I already have a good job up here plus I have family from Miami all the way up to Panama City. Unless something drastically changes or the MONEY was too good to turn down, we will never live in Jacksonville. Waaaaaaay to much white trash and not too many nice areas to pick from. I was just there a little over a year ago.

Summary, it would take a ridiculous amount of money for a job for us to live in Jacksonville.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Mosquitos can be killer down here.

Gate Parkway is a nice area. They've put in a ton of shopping, dining, etc. in that area over the last few years (lot of office buildings in that area too). I work in Jacksonville and live about 30 minutes west of town in Macclenny (small rural town). I can't speak to the property taxes or anything like that but I do really enjoy Jacksonville. It is very spread out and the St. Johns and the tons of little rivers that dump into it make for all kinds of interesting neighborhoods.

There really is something here for everyone but it is most certainly a southern city. You will find plenty of "white trash" if you look in the right place but there really is something/somewhere here to suit whatever you are looking for. The "westside" is generally regarded as more "lowbrow" side of town where you will find the "rednecks and white trash" of the area. The Northside seems to be a little more commercial (the airport and several container terminals, etc.) are located up there and the "Southside" is generally considered the nicer part of town. Gate Parkway would fall into the southside.

All of the rivers dividing the landscape make Jax unique IMO. If you want a old home in a eclectic neighborhood you could look into the whole San Marco / Riverside area or get more into the subdivision world down in Fleming Island, etc. Avoid Orange Park though.

It's definately a drivers town though. The place is super spread out...Good public schools down in the Fleming Island area and Jacksonville houses a couple very good private schools. A few Universities too. UNF is quietly becoming a excellent school (especially in the business and logistics world).

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Mosquitos can be killer down here.

Gate Parkway is a nice area. They've put in a ton of shopping, dining, etc. in that area over the last few years (lot of office buildings in that area too). I work in Jacksonville and live about 30 minutes west of town in Macclenny (small rural town). I can't speak to the property taxes or anything like that but I do really enjoy Jacksonville. It is very spread out and the St. Johns and the tons of little rivers that dump into it make for all kinds of interesting neighborhoods.

There really is something here for everyone but it is most certainly a southern city. You will find plenty of "white trash" if you look in the right place but there really is something/somewhere here to suit whatever you are looking for. The "westside" is generally regarded as more "lowbrow" side of town where you will find the "rednecks and white trash" of the area. The Northside seems to be a little more commercial (the airport and several container terminals, etc.) are located up there and the "Southside" is generally considered the nicer part of town. Gate Parkway would fall into the southside.

All of the rivers dividing the landscape make Jax unique IMO. If you want a old home in a eclectic neighborhood you could look into the whole San Marco / Riverside area or get more into the subdivision world down in Fleming Island, etc. Avoid Orange Park though.

It's definately a drivers town though. The place is super spread out...Good public schools down in the Fleming Island area and Jacksonville houses a couple very good private schools. A few Universities too. UNF is quietly becoming a excellent school (especially in the business and logistics world).

Can you give me some specific towns to look in for housing? I can spend anywhere from 400-600k. would prefer closer to the beach but doesn't have to be. And I would prefer houses built 2005+

Users who are viewing this thread