JBA ceramic shorty vs FRPP thread

Imatk

Established Member
Never tried putting in headers... but is this "normal" when you put on headers to have to grind motor mounts and so forth?

Seems like they didn't design it well at all, but maybe it's like that on all headers?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Never tried putting in headers... but is this "normal" when you put on headers to have to grind motor mounts and so forth?

Seems like they didn't design it well at all, but maybe it's like that on all headers?
I did not have any of these issues with ARH long tubes. The only issue I had was re-installing the dip stick tube and when I had them off after needed to remove them for some upgrades, I cut the flange between 6 & 7 and had no issue with tube after that. It is a challenge to reach some of the bolts to tighten them down, but slow and steady gets it done.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Can i ask why factory studs were not reused? For my FRPP headers it was advised not to use the hardware bolts and reuse factory studs.

HKusp

Established Member
Looking at that initial picture where the bolt wouldn't go through the flange because it was tight against the tube, the first thing I thought was, that should be a stud, not a bolt. It still wouldn't have solved the lining up with the holes in the flange issue, but using studs in that scenario, once the alignment of the holes was fixed would have been a solution at that point.

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
Looking at that initial picture where the bolt wouldn't go through the flange because it was tight against the tube, the first thing I thought was, that should be a stud, not a bolt. It still wouldn't have solved the lining up with the holes in the flange issue, but using studs in that scenario, once the alignment of the holes was fixed would have been a solution at that point.

Yes and no. The stud would probably be too long, you wouldn't be able to get the nut on or the stud would interfere with the pipe when its tight.

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member

Definitely didn't have any issues with my kooks long tubes. As long as the motor is at stock height, they fit like a glove. On a lowered motor however, the passenger side contacts the rear bushing of the control arm and the driver side contacts the steering shaft. I only know this because ive had to fix a set that a local shop installed on a friends car. I was out of town and he didn't want to wait. Lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes and no. The stud would probably be too long, you wouldn't be able to get the nut on or the stud would interfere with the pipe when its tight.

What if you had trimmed the stud on that one corner?

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
Got an email back from JBA. He also wants photos of my heads....im guessing to make sure my car isnt a GT?

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
What if you had trimmed the stud on that one corner?
Stock studs have the Etorx on the end so you can install/uninstall them. I suppose you could cut and file it down in place on the head, but again, the instructions spec'd a bolt for that position.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Stock studs have the Etorx on the end so you can install/uninstall them. I suppose you could cut and file it down in place on the head, but again, the instructions spec'd a bolt for that position.

Just wondering, was thinking of other options that could be beneficial to someone down the road that may attempt this install. Very good walk through btw of your experience with the install.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, thanks for sharing your experience with these shorties, and I think you made the right choice for your turbo setup. I have been on the fence and almost pulled the trigger several times on a set of used Ford Racing shorties or a new set of JBAs. I like a little more clearance around things that get really hot. I have the tools, skills, and patience to complete this mod, but I don't see the benefit in my application, other than they look very nice compared to the stock logs.

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
JBA....great customer service...NOT ...the guy straight told me to drill the holes larger until it lines up. No offer of an exchange for correct ones, no offer for a credit for the shop time and work that had to be done, nothing. His reasoning was that they have sold tons of these and have never heard of this problem. He said if i want any sort of credit on them, to contact summit racing, where i purchased them. Mind you these were drop shipped directly from JBA.

I called summit, they contacted Ian at JBA and they hooked me up with a $100 credit. You can always count on summit to try and make things right. Awesome company, and you can't beat their shipping speeds.

So end story. F JBA, and we need to bribe someone at Kooks to make our cars some shorties!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I put in a call to JBA this morning and sent them some photos of the measurements showing how far off the holes were. Going to see how good their customer service is, but i don't have very high hopes at the moment. Maybe i can get a set with proper holes and swap them out., or at least get some money back for this headache.

My experience with the current JBA ownership (Pertronix).....

Back in late 2008 Shelby offered a Shelby/JBA exhaust system, it came in a 2.5" to 3" catback or a full 3" mandrel for long tubes or manifolds/shorty's, I bought the full 3" "manifolds back" system for use with FRPP shorty's. Like I said, that was in late 2008, through SPP and the system was shipped directly from JBA, and the mufflers had "SHELBY by JBA" on the tips as I showed above..................well, time passed and about 5-6 years ago I decided to get that stuff on my 2008, by this time the JBA brand had been sold to Pertronix. My exhaust friend was having trouble getting the right tip into the position to match the left tip............FINALLY, after much on and off of the car, it was determined that the JBA X-pipe had been jigged and welded where the outlet was a little bit lower on the right/passenger side and by the time the catback was added, the difference was more than 1/4" drop to the right tip. I knew that I was wayyyyyyy beyond contacting Shelby Perf. Parts about issues with exhaust I had bought 5-6 years before and my only hope (if there any), was to contact Pertronix who now owned the JBA branding, but in no way was involved with the jigging and welding of that X-pipe 5-6 years earlier. I told them the whole story and that everything is still brand new, they said send us the X, and I did. About 2 weeks later, I had a brand new X-Pipe from Pertronix at my front door. The new X installed without issue and all was well.

^^^^Sorry the story is so long, but a lot happened to make this good customer experience what it was. Pertronix could have said, "sorry", we were not the owners at the time and realistically you bought the system from Shelby.............but no, they stepped up and took care of the issue well after the fact, I had a Great experience with my Pertronix/JBA service.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
JBA....great customer service...NOT ...the guy straight told me to drill the holes larger until it lines up. No offer of an exchange for correct ones, no offer for a credit for the shop time and work that had to be done, nothing. His reasoning was that they have sold tons of these and have never heard of this problem. He said if i want any sort of credit on them, to contact summit racing, where i purchased them. Mind you these were drop shipped directly from JBA.

I called summit, they contacted Ian at JBA and they hooked me up with a $100 credit. You can always count on summit to try and make things right. Awesome company, and you can't beat their shipping speeds.

So end story. F JBA, and we need to bribe someone at Kooks to make our cars some shorties!

WOW, that is sad. I was going to pick up an extra pair of shorty's and the JBA's looked cool, but I will steer clear and be happy with the FRPP shorty's that are working fine on my car now. << And I think I have another pair of them stashed somewhere??

Thanks, for the detailed overview of the install.

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Summit also allows customer reviews of products they sell. Might want to save someone else some grief that might not otherwise see it here.

svo600

Established Member
Working on this install now, so far not horrible. Had the same issues with the motor mount brackets but the holes line up well enough. Got the stage 8 locking hardware going in.

Attachments

• 114445F1-0659-422E-BCEC-8CF9B950545B.jpeg
    114445F1-0659-422E-BCEC-8CF9B950545B.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread