JBA shorty headers

Harry08

Established Member
Has anyone tried JBA's catforwad shorty headers #1565S for 07-14 GT500s? If so how is fitment, quality, etc. thanks in advance.

railroad

Established Member
I do not think they exist. Do a search on here. It was discussed earlier.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
not worth the time, money, or labor involved. You need long tubes.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Has anyone tried JBA's catforwad shorty headers #1565S for 07-14 GT500s? If so how is fitment, quality, etc. thanks in advance.

Originally the 2007 Super Snake was listed as getting "JBA manifolds" as part of the Shelby installed upgrade, but they never materialized and that would have voided the 50 state emissions legal status of the Super Snake build.

Ford Racing is the only shorty option I have seen in both ceramic coated and non-ceramic...............

image_zps610439c8.jpg

image-2_zps8b8355b2.jpg

I have a set of these on my 2008...............but unlike most owner installs, I also installed a full mandrel bent 3" Shelby/JBA system beyond the shorty's. I am happy with them, and they are not choked down to a smaller 2.5" non-mandrel system as would be the common owner installed experience with these, I would guess?

R

Last edited:

Harry08

Established Member
I spoke with JBA this afternoon. They are listed on Jegs, Summitt, Lethals websites. The headers are set for production but not yet being produced. Earlier I had the wrong parts #. Correct # is 1695S.

Harry08

Established Member
I realize long tubes are the way to go but for those wanting an improvement over the factory logs I found these headers interesting. JBA states in their instructions that these meet CARB standards so if these do get produced there may be interest.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I want a set of shorties. Not for power but for the weight savings over the iron manifolds. I'm afraid of the added exhaust noise with long tubes. I don't like obnoxious exhaust.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Might be interesting if for not other reason they look a heck of a lot better then the cast iron rusty things on there now.

^^^^That was my thought also........A person can put all of the "bling" and cool performance mods they want in the engine compartment, the cool looking coolant tanks and covers, a nice blower, radiator cover, etc., but then when a person looks a little closer they see "rusty cast iron manifolds"??? Looking like something from an old car??? That just blows away a portion of the "cool factor".

That is also the reason I pulled out my "starting to rust" 2008 600 original mile 8.8 axle out a couple of years ago for a full assy. line correct restoration................again, a nice looking car on the top and then a "relatively new car" showing rust on the underside like an old car, the cool factor slipping again.........I couldn't ignore it.........especially when I was also proud of my suspension mods.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I would be in line for them.

I'd grab a set also.

We do not have emissions inspections in Florida (currently), but if we did, it would be GREAT to put a factory exhaust up to a set of shorty's and most likely pass the first part of the emissions inspection.........the "Visual". If the inspection tech takes a peak under the car and see's all of the factory emissions exhaust plumbing in place, he/she will most likely move on in the inspection process. On the other hand, in some states, if there is "ANY" alteration (non-C.A.R.B. certified) ahead of the catback, the vehicle fails the visual inspection and then whatever does not pass the visual, has to be corrected first, to move forward with further testing. <<<<What a PITA.

R

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
JBA states in their instructions that these meet CARB standards so if these do get produced there may be interest.

Might be interesting if for no other reason they look a heck of a lot better then the cast iron rusty things on there now.

I would definitely consider going with shorties for the reasons stated above and for more efficient flow from the exhaust ports. I have avoided long tubes up to this point because I want to run quality cats and don't want to change the exhaust note that my car currently produces. It sounds somewhat deep and mellow during normal driving and is plenty loud for my taste at WOT. My county does not require emissions testing, so that is not a huge concern for me.

railroad

Established Member
I am thinking the opening on the cast iron manifold is 2 inches. This is what I want to improve, without going to long tubes. If I could get my hands on a set, I would see what it would take to open them up, maybe extrude hone and jet hot coat. Probably too much money for the hp increase. ????

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I am thinking the opening on the cast iron manifold is 2 inches. This is what I want to improve, without going to long tubes. If I could get my hands on a set, I would see what it would take to open them up, maybe extrude hone and jet hot coat. Probably too much money for the hp increase. ????

Yes, in post #5 of this thread there is a link to another thread related to the FRPP shorty's........in that linked thread there is a comparison of the FRPP shorty outlet and the oem cast iron manifold outlet side-by-side, the cast log outlet is 2" and the FRPP shorty outlet is 2-3/16" (I think it said). Opening this area would help the flow for sure. The system, all of it, will only flow as well as the smallest (choked down) point. OEM over the axle pipes are another area of flow restriction usually because they are not mandrel bent.

R

railroad

Established Member
Yes, in post #5 of this thread there is a link to another thread related to the FRPP shorty's........in that linked thread there is a comparison of the FRPP shorty outlet and the oem cast iron manifold outlet side-by-side, the cast log outlet is 2" and the FRPP shorty outlet is 2-3/16" (I think it said). Opening this area would help the flow for sure. The system, all of it, will only flow as well as the smallest (choked down) point. OEM over the axle pipes are another area of flow restriction usually because they are not mandrel bent.

R

I agree on the restrictions anywhere,,,but the 2" hole just within feet of the piston has to really make the engine work pushing out the exhaust. Down stream choke points do offer some expansion room, until the balloon gets full.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I agree on the restrictions anywhere,,,but the 2" hole just within feet of the piston has to really make the engine work pushing out the exhaust. Down stream choke points do offer some expansion room, until the balloon gets full.

^^^^^Yes......

R

smgco

I just ordered a set for my 2013 GT500. Years ago I Had a set of JBA short headers on my Lightning and was very satisfied with the quality, look, fit, sound and performance. Yes long tubes make more power but shorts fit better, bolt up without modification and excentuate the great sound of our engines !

Harry08

Established Member
Please let us know your thoughts on install, quality, etc. I was lucky and found a set of new Ford shortys and installed them this past summer. Regardless of hp gains the motor revs faster and the looks are greatly improved over the factory manifolds.

Users who are viewing this thread