JDM PINION snubber....and hop...wasnt my clutch

silvercoffin

Established Member
I had a JDM pinion snubber....let me stress HAD.. Its no longer on my car...i guess it fell off? I thought I was getting terrible hop from the spec 3+ clutch when it most likely a loose or already missing JDM Snubber..

What really sucks is that JDM told me today that they no longer make pinion snubbers. Does anyone have one or know where I can get a snubber for the IRS. It worked great.

sb03cobra

Established Member
I had a JDM pinion snubber....let me stress HAD.. Its no longer on my car...i guess it fell off? I thought I was getting terrible hop from the spec 3+ clutch when it most likely a loose or already missing JDM Snubber..

What really sucks is that JDM told me today that they no longer make pinion snubbers. Does anyone have one or know where I can get a snubber for the IRS. It worked great.

Yes it really sucks, thats why they don't make it anymore. :nonono:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
if you get the 03/04 cobra, the front of diff. brace bushings controls the pinion snub'n, get the mm alum diff. bushing kit, takes care of the front of diff. as well as the very very soft rear of diff. bushing. i was surprized to see how soft the rear of diff. bushing was. even when i had the front of diff. alum. bushings from kenny brown, the rear of diff. oem bushing was very distorted when i took it out and changed everything over to the mm alum kit. just get'n to that rear of diff. bushing was a super bitch, the diff. has got to be removed to replace the rear bushing. i bet a shop mechanic would charge some big bucks to change out that bushing

silvercoffin

Established Member

Bad huh? That must be why I was running 1.6 60fts and better times than people with Whipples run..

If you dont have anything worth while to say then dont..

I think you are a fool to spend $1000 or more on rebuilding an IRS when that simple snubber and shocks worked fantastic for years I was running 1.63-1.70 consistantly.

04torchred

Established Member
Bad huh? That must be why I was running 1.6 60fts and better times than people with Whipples run..

I think you are a fool to spend $1000 or more on rebuilding an IRS when that simple snubber and shocks worked fantastic for years I was running 1.63-1.70 consistantly.

Man there are people that cut 1.5-1.6 60 foots on the stock irs... your 60's are good, but not off the wall.

silvercoffin

Established Member

dude the point wasnt about me having incredible 60fts... THe point is I did it with a snubber and shocks... not thousands of dollars on bushings and rebuilding the entire irs..

Well if its so bad why doesnt someone that still has one laying around sell it to me..

04torchred

Established Member
dude the point wasnt about me having incredible 60fts... THe point is I did it with a snubber and shocks... not thousands of dollars on bushings and rebuilding the entire irs..

Well if its so bad why doesnt someone that still has one laying around sell it to me..

My point was the pinion snubber isn't needed if you are thinking it is helping you cut your 60 foot times. I honestly wouldn't worry about finding a replacement... that was my point.

silvercoffin

Established Member

JDM still has it on their website teamjdm.com 03-04 cobra pinion snubber.

Everyone says its a cheap fix, but it was night and day for me. The QA1s helped but once I got that snubber it felt like my solid axle 01 GT almost..and no hop. Its funny...not many people knew about them.

JDM emailed me and said that they only get 2 inquiries a month about them so its just not worth stocking them because they have to get 100 at a time.

They mentioned the pssibility of making me one but said it will cost more. I am waiting to hear the price. It will be worth it if its less than I will pay for parts and labor on rebuilding the entire IRS..

silvercoffin

Established Member

I could launch with the snubber and cant without it. It made a difference when I got it.

This summer I got a spec 3+ and the car hopped terrible. Many people said that was strange because they claimed they could launch with the 3+

Then I got a new trans and a spec 2 and still hop...not as bad but enough to hurt my 60fts..so finally i looked uner the car and noticed there is no snubber. Its gone.

That would explain all the wheel hop...ive been complaining about.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I have one, but never had a chance to put it on. Looking and playing around with the diff, it clearly can prevent excessive motion if you choose to stay with the soft, stock bushings. If you have solid bushings, it won't do anything.

In honesty, the device was marketed primarily to prevent fracture of the diff ears from excessive movement, as well as possibly helping launch or hop.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Bushings do not cost "thousands of dollars", especially when only dealing with the easily-replaced differential pieces. Do the front/rear diff bushings and be done with it.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member

sb03cobra

Established Member

:burn: Well I did have one of the JDM pinion snubbers. It did nothing for me at the track or on the street.

Did you install the brace? How did it just fall off?

Mine was a pain to install and no way it would ever just fall off.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I contacted MM about hop and they tried to sell me a lot of parts for a lot of money. I had qa1 shocks and a snubber put on by JDM and was thrilled with the outcome. Thats when I finally got down to 1.6 60fts.

What ever works...I have no idea how it fell off, but its not on my car anymore. JDM put it on years ago. My wife noticed something black come flying off my car on the way home from the shop a while back and didnt tell me until we were back home. I couldnt find anything on the side of the road and never checked the snubber. Its connected with two bolts right? So if they came loose it would fall off wouldnt it? Or maybe it was loose and the bad hop I had with the spec 3+ caused it to loosen up. All I know is it isnt there anymore.

Please let me know if you want to sell yours.

[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread