Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

alidsm

Established Member
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the 54-year-old presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".

The BBC gave no further details on the current incident involving Clarkson, and said it would not be making any further statements at this time.

Clarkson's representatives have yet to reply to requests for a comment.

The presenter himself has remained silent, however last month he tweeted a post saying a "new presenter for Top Gear" was wanted.

"Applicant should be old, badly dressed and pedantic but capable of getting to work on time," he said.

Top Gear
This weekend's episode of Top Gear was set to feature Clarkson - who has fronted the show since 2002 - along with regular co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May at a classic track day.

Former footballer and pundit Gary Lineker was also to appear as the "star in a reasonably priced car".

Lineker has now tweeted, writing: "I don't think I'm ever meant to appear on Top Gear!"

'Strong character'
Former Top Gear presenter Chris Goffey told BBC Radio 5 live while discussions on the programme sometimes became heated when he worked on the show, "it must have been something fairly serious behind the scenes to warrant his immediate suspension.

"I can't think what the hell's gone on, but there you go. When you've got a very strong character who likes things his own way, if somebody stands up to him, there's going to be a row."

Clarkson has courted controversy on several occasions during his time hosting Top Gear.

Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond in the Top Gear Burma special
Top Gear was censured by Ofcom for using a "racial" term in its Burma special programme
The show's executive producer, Andy Wilman, described last year as "an annus horribilis" for the programme.

It followed an incident in Argentina where the presenters and crew were forced to flee the country after trouble erupted over a number plate reading H982 FLK - which some suggested referred to the Falklands conflict of 1982.

Last year the show was also censured by Ofcom for breaching broadcasting rules after Clarkson used a derogatory word for Asian people during its Burma special programme.

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
TV critic Toby Earle: 'He was on his final warning'
TV critic Toby Earle told the BBC he was not surprised at Clarkson's suspension. "This incident is the one that's really forced management to take action," he said.

"Part of the show's appeal, to many viewers, has been it's sort of edginess and the fact that it's rough around the edges - in some ways takes no prisoners.

"But of course there is a very delicate line to tread with that, and it has crossed that line I feel."

But the TV Times' Mary Evans said she did not think it was the end of the road for the presenter: "He is what he is, like him or loathe him.

"He knows who he is and he knows what he wants to say. Top Gear obviously existed before him, and it wasn't the phenomenon that it is now. So obviously it has something to do with his personal charisma and his fanbase.

"I can't see this will be it for Clarkson, I really can't. But I think he's probably slightly overdue a slap on the wrist," she told the BBC.

Let's hope not, top gear is one of the very few shows I enjoy watching

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If they fire JC they are firing the show in the process.

I can bet there are a bunch of stations willing to pick them up if thats the case, zero ****s given to what he does outside the show.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
People are so pussified these days. Racist remarks? Lol. Who really gives a shit? Call me racist names until the cows come home. I won't bat an eye or miss a beat.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Damn, they just announced on last episode they were getting the P1, 918, and LaFerarri together. I want that!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I always liked the Original main host more, Tiff Needell. But TG is nothing without JC. Actually they would be nothing without each other, the show has the IT factor and you are so used to it that if something changed (like a big change) it just wouldnt be the same. :shrug:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I won't watch the show if he's not on it. Euro pussy mother ****ers running the BBC.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I love Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear USA sucks!

Yeah the US version blows. If they had Tim Allen and Jay Leno that would be the ticket. I do like Tanner though, and seeing him in last weeks UK Top Gear was cool. Maybe add him to the UK version to get some more US vs UK comedy

truefiveo

Established Member
Yeah the US version blows. If they had Tim Allen and Jay Leno that would be the ticket. I do like Tanner though, and seeing him in last weeks UK Top Gear was cool. Maybe add him to the UK version to get some more US vs UK comedy

Damn where is Tim Allen these days?

I remember his T-Bird eyed Fox and his LT5 Impala SS..guy has great taste and imagination in vehicles

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If he is gone, he'll be missed for sure. Show won't be the same without him.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I say we boycott everything British until they return us our TopGear and Jeremy Clarkson. I am willing to fight another revolution.

Users who are viewing this thread