Jetta TDI

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
What year are you looking at, I work at a VW repair facility and can probably ask some of the guys questions for you.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Anyone have any experience with these cars?

They do:

High_School_Girls.jpg

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I would drive a Jetta TDI over a gay ass prius/ insight hybrid car. More torque and similar MPG.

stangposse

Established Member
Be careful. Some of those TDI's needed MAJOR overhauls before they would run right on the low sulfur diesel. A buddy of mine had to have every part of the fuel system replaced....pumps, lines, filters, rail and plugs. VW tried to pass it off as poor maintenance before they finally admitted the fuel systems were not callobrated for the diesel fuel in US. Yes....VW shipped cars here that did not run properly on the diesel sold here. VW service is the worst in the industry by a country mile!!!!

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
My father had four. a 2001,2003,2005 and a 2007. About the only engine work he did was replace the timing belts when they came due and regular oil changes. The 01 & 03 were the better of the four as far as interior quality and rattles and I think he got the best mileage with the 03. He never had any electrical or headlight issues with any of them.

sixt5

Established Member
my buddies mom has one and it blows lights (front and rear) quite often. my fiance had a beetle and now a jetta (gas) and they do the same thing.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
my gf has an 02 that gets 45+ on the highway. the tails are always goin out though. but if thats the biggest issue.....well

rust0r

Established Member
friend has one, he constantly gets over 1000KM (600miles) per tank and is constantly busting my balls about how much it costs for me to drive anywhere lol, record for him is just under 1300km (810miles) on a single tank with 3 people and luggage in the car

miles ahead of any prius/hybrid out there right now IMO, the great thing about VW's, even if you have limited mechanical ability, there are DIY posts/walkthroughs for literally every job you'll ever need to do on forums

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i have a 2000 jetta tdi as a daily driver.

i just cracked 235,000 miles on a trip up to northern wisconsin. oh yeah by the way on the trip i averaged 50mpg!

i love the car, and would own another one for sure.

if your buying used do your homework on a forum like tdiforum.com.

its important to learn about them and to do proper maintance. if your buying a used tdi check to see the last time the timing belt has been changed, as well as injector pump. those are the two most expensive things on the car.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
vw's = electrical nightmares. be prepared to by headlights pretty regularly

I can agree with this to some degree. Head light issue, taillight issue, drivers door controls went out. However all were easy fixes. I actually love the car, summer driving I get no less than 45mpg, wintertime it drops to around 38 or so.

tdi_logik

Established Member
i've got one for a daily.. 00 golf tdi with 165k on it, runs like a champ, i always keep up on maintence, only problem i had was an oil pump failure that i caught just in time and an a/c compressor coil. best mpg i've gotten was 56 on the highway, staright city is 38-43

my dad's got an 03 tdi jetta, loves it, only issue he had was the glow plug harness which was covered under warranty..

if your looking to buy one used, best year by far was the last year of the alh motor (03)

Users who are viewing this thread