JLT oil separator

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Well that sucks ass. Guess I may look into the Bob's one then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Doesn't look like there's an upgrade option unfortunately.

I don't remember the filter upgrade being listed on the JLT site so I called JLT directly a few minutes ago. Yes they have an upgrade filter for the 2.0, you have to contact them directly. The email address is JLTtruecoldair.com or you can call them at 757 335 1940 and they will take care of you. I talked to Jonas and he was very helpful.

R

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I don't remember the filter upgrade being listed on the JLT site so I called JLT directly a few minutes ago. Yes they have an upgrade filter for the 2.0, you have to contact them directly. The email address is JLTtruecoldair.com or you can call them at 757 335 1940 and they will take care of you. I talked to Jonas and he was very helpful.

R

How do I know if I have the 2.0? Or the first gen? I bought mine from a member here.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
If it does not say 3.0 on the top of the housing, it is 2.0. The filter media difference would be when the original 2.0 was purchased. I doubt that you could tell by looking at it. Call JLT, they said the replacement filter is not much (if any) cost depending upon the purchase situation, they may change you just a small amount for shipping the new filter to you?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a call. The JLT is such a nice plug and play unit that is almost an oem looking unit, it is nice the way it blends in with the engine compartment surroundings.

On my car I want the functionality of an oil separator, but I don't necessarily want it to be there sticking out like a sore thumb or looking "added"................but that is just me.

R

Last edited:

fmylife

Established Member
Called them up and since I already have the 2.0, only option was to upgrade to the 3.0. Figured I can recoup some of the cost by selling the 2.0 on Ebay or even here.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Called them up and since I already have the 2.0, only option was to upgrade to the 3.0. Figured I can recoup some of the cost by selling the 2.0 on Ebay or even here.

You talked to Jonas? I just talked to him a few hours ago and he said he could sell the newer filter for the 2.0? He left the phone for a few minutes to talk to the tech dept. and came back and told me that info. What questions did he ask you?

R

fmylife

Established Member
Talked to some lady that kept talking to someone else. Apparently I already had the newer filter.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If it does not say 3.0 on the top of the housing, it is 2.0. The filter media difference would be when the original 2.0 was purchased. I doubt that you could tell by looking at it. Call JLT, they said the replacement filter is not much (if any) cost depending upon the purchase situation, they may change you just a small amount for shipping the new filter to you?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a call. The JLT is such a nice plug and play unit that is almost an oem looking unit, it is nice the way it blends in with the engine compartment surroundings.

On my car I want the functionality of an oil separator, but I don't necessarily want it to be there sticking out like a sore thumb or looking "added"................but that is just me.

R

Thank you sir. I'm going to call or email them Monday and see about getting the filter.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thank you sir. I'm going to call or email them Monday and see about getting the filter.

Yes, and ask for Jonas. I talked to him for about 10 minutes, he described the filter replacement to me and also described what is different about the 3.0 in addition to its overall size difference from the 2.0. He was a good person to talk to.

R

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yes, and ask for Jonas. I talked to him for about 10 minutes, he described the filter replacement to me and also described what is different about the 3.0 in addition to its overall size difference from the 2.0. He was a good person to talk to.

R

Will do.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^Since Robert referenced my thread above, I thought I would chime in and show my last two sets of spark plugs that were run with both of the JLT oil separators, upgraded filter and 3.0. I wiped the anti-seize off the TR7IXs, but the TR6s that were removed today are exactly how I pulled them out; you will see some residual anti-seize on the threads but no oil. Both sets of plugs have about 10k miles on them.

OP, I agree with lexustech, your valve cover seal on top of your spark plug tubes or your spark plug tubes themselves are likely seeping oil.

TR7IX.jpg

TR6.jpg

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
for 07-09, does the driver's side really do anything? im only rocking passenger side right now

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
^^^^^^^It would also depend upon if the 2.0 that are being commented on had the original OR the updated screen media. The screen media was changed for better oil/air separation. I am sure the larger 3.0 has the newer screen, but I am not sure if it was/is the same as the updated screen media that was made available for the 2.0?

R

Imatk

Established Member
The 3.0 has two screens. It's a similar setup to the Shelby separator.

The difference with the 3.0 screens is they are contained in the top portion of the can so you can unscrew and empty just like before.

The Shelby screens sit between two o-rings so you have to remove the screens to drain the oil and it's messy and annoying (at least it was to me)

I haven't really noticed a real measurable difference between the shelby and the JLT 2.0 with the updated filter which is why I haven't upgraded to the 3.0

Users who are viewing this thread