JLT "True" Cold Air Intake Dyno

bunk22

Established Member
JLT Cold Air Intake Dyno #'s

This last weekend I installed the JLT intake, replacing my DC cold air intake. Nothing wrong with the DC but the JLT just looked better, IMO. The install was easy, good quality and it fit perfect. Absolutely no complaints and I told Jay I would dyno the car so I did.

The numbers came out good but to be honest, there are a few factors that have to be considered. First off this is the same dyno that I used last time but a very different type of day. Even though the dyno is SAE corrected, it was still about 50 degrees colder. I don't use a chip or the Predator, only the Afterburner eFPC to fine tune my air-fuel but didn't use it at all today. Due to the cold, the air-fuel was a bit leaner than last time but when I made changes last year to the air-fuel that were greater than the change today, I didn't gain or lose any hp or tq. Here is the graph followed by a pic of the JLT cold air intake:

http://www.msnusers.com/MustangMembers/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=56

http://www.msnusers.com/MustangMembers/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=52

For those who don't want to look, the results were:

450.1rwhp/444.8rwtq SAE--JLT
vs
440.7rwhp/434.0rwtq SAE--DC

The actual numbers today were 477.2/471.5 so quite a correction factor.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
The weather could have an impact, but great gain regardless! Now the real test, does it feel better after immediately swapping from the DC to the JLT?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm assuming your first run was, say, in the 80s and your recent set was in the 30s. If that is true the weather will account for most of that gain difference in my opinion. The colder air is a great power booster.

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I'm assuming your first run was, say, in the 80s and your recent set was in the 30s. If that is true the weather will account for most of that gain difference in my opinion. The colder air is a great power booster.

Close enough, it was 92 last time and low 40's this time. That was the big problem with this comparison. It's hard to correct for a heat soaked engine when it's hot and humid outside. I had no cool down today, just jumped on right off the street. The first two runs were back to back, both 449rwhp/440rwtq. The last two runs were done 5 minutes apart with 445/441 and 450/445.

As far as SOTP goes, the car did feel a bit stronger after the JLT install. I just don't always trust the butt meter.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Assuming you results were corrected they will be closer than not corrected but the dyno's correction factors for conditions is far from ideal. Did you see an increase in boost as well?

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Assuming you results were corrected they will be closer than not corrected but the dyno's correction factors for conditions is far from ideal. Did you see an increase in boost as well?

Both sets of numbers were SAE corrected. I didn't measure boost as both the dyno operator and myself could not find a place to hook up the boost line for the dyno. Of course my stock gauge simply pegs to the right.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by bunk22
Both sets of numbers were SAE corrected. I didn't measure boost as both the dyno operator and myself could not find a place to hook up the boost line for the dyno. Of course my stock gauge simply pegs to the right.
There is a splice in the line on pass side by firewall, you can follow the line from one of the connectors on the blower over, its in a jumble but one of the easiest places I have ound to connect an external boost gauge.

grnenvy

Established Member
How they hell can a 4 inch pipe give you more boost then a 10 inch filter under the hood, no way. There may be a possible diff in pwr due to colder air but the air is not that much denser in the fender to make a pound of boost, lmfao . The only reason Rick Anderson's pipe makes three more lbs of boost then the factory vortech or paxton is due to the size and mandreal bending of the pipe. There pipe is 31/2 inch's and his is 4 inch's. Also his pipe only helps at eleavated boost level's 10 psi or more. Plus he give's you a huge filter that helps alot . So let's be realistic this pipe may help but there is no way your getting more boost, think about it, how can you get anything less restrictive than a huge filter on the end of your meter. Also if any thing this pipe will be more restrictive due to it's length it has to be atleast 6-8 inch's longer. Don't get me wrong it's pretty and it might work but no way will it make more than 1 or 2 more hp.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I believe it. Just like DC can give you more boost over stock. The stock upper intake piece is actually kind of restrictive as far as the width and the kinks in the bends. I bet this intake really does flow well. There was a guy on here with a KB who gained a pound of boost with it. Search for his post, like 03snake or something from Hawaii.

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by grnenvy
How they hell can a 4 inch pipe give you more boost then a 10 inch filter under the hood, no way. There may be a possible diff in pwr due to colder air but the air is not that much denser in the fender to make a pound of boost, lmfao . The only reason Rick Anderson's pipe makes three more lbs of boost then the factory vortech or paxton is due to the size and mandreal bending of the pipe. There pipe is 31/2 inch's and his is 4 inch's. Also his pipe only helps at eleavated boost level's 10 psi or more. Plus he give's you a huge filter that helps alot . So let's be realistic this pipe may help but there is no way your getting more boost, think about it, how can you get anything less restrictive than a huge filter on the end of your meter. Also if any thing this pipe will be more restrictive due to it's length it has to be atleast 6-8 inch's longer. Don't get me wrong it's pretty and it might work but no way will it make more than 1 or 2 more hp.

Where the hell did this come from? Nobody claimed anything about making more boost or why the intake is better than any others. Who gives a shit? I promised JLT I would post dyno results even though I felt they might be skewed due to the much colder weather. That's why I mentioned them in the beginning of the thread. I happen to think the JLT intake looks better than most, it obviously works, so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread