JLT vs K&N FIPK results (modded car)

Tucker

Well I spend 2 hours on the dyno today testing all the kits.
First, I want to thank Brent and Frank @ DTP in Chesapeake, VA for staying late and helping me get this done.

Mods on car are in my sig. I did replace my C&L 95mm with the stock MAF for ALL runs.
Ok here's what happened. I did a base run with my JLT true CAI first.
JLT CAI:
IAT 1=96 deg
IAT 2=128 deg
RWHP 454
RWTQ 462-463

2nd kit was my JLT true RAI:
Hood open / Hood Closed:
IAT 1=94 / 100-110
IAT 2=132 / 135

RWHP 459.7 451
RWTQ 459-460 448

3rd kit was JLT RAI with 12" filter.
Not much cool down here so #'s are not great.
440 RWHP and 460 RWTQ.

Then we let the car cool for a long time. I installed the FIPK.
We got the temps right about where they were on the RAI test. Fair is fair!!

K&N FIPK:
IAT 1 =94
IAT 2 =131
RWHP 447
RWTQ 448
I didn't do a hood closed test on the K&N as it was getting late and the open hood results were so much lower, I didn't feel the need to kill it!

That's a 12.7 RWHP and a 12 RWTQ difference in the JLT RAI's favor.
It's also a 7 RWHP and a 15 RWTQ difference in the CAI's favor.

I know there will be some who think I did something to scuew the #'s in my favor. I did, in no way, do anything other then do the fairest test I could.

Plus, just looking at the 2 kits shows the JLT's are less restricted. The stock upper pipe has to go!
I did this because I saw many threads comapring the two and many people going with the K&N. I believe in my product enough to buy a $160 kit and spend hundreds $ at the dyno shop to see and (hopfully) prove that the JLT is the best choise.

Here's another comparo:
JLT RAI price: $130 in Black and $145 in color
K&N FIPK Price: $145-169 depending on where you go.

I hope you all think this info is good and helps you when your ready to get a CAI or RAI for your Cobra!

I will do a test on a stocker, but not for a few weeks. My guess is the results will be close to the same.
attachment.php

attachment.php

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Just wondering the CAI at top? I don't know if it matters, but was this with the hood open or closed? Probably doesn't matter just wasn't stated that I saw.

Other than that Tucker your awesome!!

Lower IAT and lower HP on the K&N, thats proof enough for me

Later
Jason

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pulls with each but the data is in your favor. Good idea testing your products head to head against K+N.:beer:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Dang.....that almost makes me want to send my K&N back and get a CAI from you Tucker. I had the CAI on my '03 Mach and loved it, I just wanted to try something different with the Cobra. You might be getting an order from me soon.

This is off topic, but does anyone have any pics of a Comp. Orange CAI on a Comp. Orange Cobra??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting tests Tuck! Thanks for taking the time to run them. So which one are you keeping on your Cobra? LOL!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
interesting....12rwhp....i want another test....done by some ordinary cobra owner though with maybe some others to watch or "video". this has been a HUGE discussion for months now and as a matter of fact, i JUST installed my K&N setup last week. i love the painted tube on the JLT but i'm not a fan of the "in-fender" filter. my car has NO pulley but pretty much everything else. i should be adding an h-pipe in a couple weeks then off to the dyno....maybe JLT will want a rematch?

I'll buy if it makes me fly

wow that was lame...:lol:

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
hmmm. extra HP is nice to have.....but i do like the look. that is the real selling point. much nicer looking than the K&N. Might have to try one soon.

smokin03

Established Member
jlt cai

I just installed the Jlt cai on my 03 cobra this weekend.Not only does it look better than anyone else's, it makes a very noticeable difference under hard acceleration.My boost guage now pegs all the way over to 10.Before it would only go to 7.You can hear it whine alot more.I got mine in torch red color.The color is a perfect match to my car and it is great quality.Insallation took me about 2 hours total.I could do it alot quicker if I had to do it again.Their is a little fanagling to get the fit perfect, but the end result is worth it.:)

Tucker

Thanks guys. As I said, I did as fair as a test as I could. The conditions on the K&N were actually slightly better.

As far as closed hood with the CAI, I don't think it would matter much. But, I'm no genious (sp LOL)

Maybe a stocker will show different results, but I dought it.

What I found is modded cars respond best to my RAI, although, did anyone see the new MM&FF????? Jason Cohan made 603hp & 565 with the JLT CAI !!!!

I will be keeping the CAI on my car. You just can't beat the look!

Thanks again guys!
Jay

mystic04

Established Member
Tucker i would have liked to see a few pulls on a close to stock cobra like mine, i just have a cat back on and i was waiting to see your results before i buy. i was looking into the K&N setup and yours for the last few months<yours being the rai not the cai >
as of now i don't think it will makes much difference which one i go for so now it's weather i go for the 9 or the 12 inch model you have . Also can you still do a mystic paint job on the tube.

cobravert03

Why? Because it's funny.
This is kind of like Burger King coming out with survey numbers that say people like their fries better than McDonalds'. Whether the numbers are true or not, the fact that you make the intake that "performed better" is an inherent bias that no discerning buyer can ignore. Note that I said "discerning" buyer. Good try, though - you may have actually won yourself some customers here.

03'Darin

Established Member
Great job Tucker and nice results. I'm headed to look for some DSG pictures of your kit now. Did I see a post that you may be offering a GP on your kits?

Darin

stvdman

Established Member
Last time I dyno'd my car there were 2 other 03's in attendance with VERY similar mods. All three of us had C/B's, I had the JLT RAI, another guy had a 12" K&N, and the last guy had the 12" K&N with a C&L mass air meter (95mm I believe).

I posted ~9rwhp more that the one with the C&L and like ~15 RWHP more than the other. The biggest differance was from 5000rpm and up and my car kept pulling right up through red line, no real drop off in HP, the other two started dropping off 500 rpm before redline.

We kinda sat around and talked about it for awhile and came to a consensus that the JLT upper tubing leading into the T/B is what is REALLY helping out over the stock piece. That was the only real diference between stock and any other underhood CAI.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Tucker! I absolutely love your intake. I went from UPR to your product and there is no comparison. I only wish you would make a new pipe that does not rub on the valve cover.

Thanks again for the great product!

Users who are viewing this thread